Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
^^^ Yes, create a "sticky" post with all the pertinent information.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a way to address this concern that many audioholics seem to have, without us having to repeat it like every other week?:D
No, but I think we should start copying our posts into Word Docs. That way we can copy and paste easier. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, but I think we should start copying our posts into Word Docs. That way we can copy and paste easier. :D
How about we take turns to post a thread or two on those hot topics once a week?

Or something like a FAQs of the week but repeat them weekly or at least biweekly..:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How about we take turns to post a thread or two on those hot topics once a week?

Or something like a FAQs of the week but repeat them weekly or at least biweekly..:D
Perhaps its time to update the Stickys... this definitely seems like a prime candidate topic to begin with! :) This and a Subwoofer Primer!
(Though if sucessful, that will halve the number of potential future posts by many of us!)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
that will halve the number of potential future posts by many of us!
True. Probably not good then. I only have 25,000 posts right now. I need to reach 50,000 posts in 5 years. Copy and paste it is. :D

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Today, an Onkyo manager reached out to me after several complaints and deeply apologized for any inconvenience i may have had and wanted to, as they said “make it right for the customer”

I had explained to them my previous Onkyo models, including CD players, AVRs, speakers, subwoofers, etc.... (kinda brand loyal) and never had an issue with any of them until the 830.

The guy then proceeds to tell me if i wanted to jump back aboard that this kind of issue wouldn’t happen again (he wasn’t talking about AVR faults) he meant me being given the run around.

Anyway, to cut to the chase i can get back a brand new 830 and try my luck again for 399 free shipping, brand new from them because of the issues i had with several reps (they had apparently reviewed my phone calls with them.)

@PENG I believe you about the “marketing jargon” between sound signatures, etc... That being said, it almost seems foolish to pass up that deal with the specs it offers at that price.

120wpc, 9.2 ex 11.2 with amp, akm4458 dac (same exact one DM use in their models that I’ve been looking at.)

Anyway, I think i may just kiss and make up. Especially at that price.:):cool:

Thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Today, an Onkyo manager reached out to me after several complaints and deeply apologized for any inconvenience i may have had and wanted to, as they said “make it right for the customer”

I had explained to them my previous Onkyo models, including CD players, AVRs, speakers, subwoofers, etc.... (kinda brand loyal) and never had an issue with any of them until the 830.

The guy then proceeds to tell me if i wanted to jump back aboard that this kind of issue wouldn’t happen again (he wasn’t talking about AVR faults) he meant me being given the run around.

Anyway, to cut to the chase i can get back a brand new 830 and try my luck again for 399 free shipping, brand new from them because of the issues i had with several reps (they had apparently reviewed my phone calls with them.)

@PENG I believe you about the “marketing jargon” between sound signatures, etc... That being said, it almost seems foolish to pass up that deal with the specs it offers at that price.

120wpc, 9.2 ex 11.2 with amp, akm4458 dac (same exact one DM use in their models that I’ve been looking at.)

Anyway, I think i may just kiss and make up. Especially at that price.:):cool:

Thoughts?
Maybe he read your thread. :D

But yeah $399 for brand new 11.2CH AVR sounds good. Ask him about the warranty. Full 3 YR warranty?

Now that Sound United owns Onkyo, I guess this thread should read "Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer vs Yamaha vs Anthem vs Sony".

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Maybe he read your thread. :D

But yeah $399 for brand new 11.2CH AVR sounds good. Ask him about the warranty. Full 3 YR warranty?

Now that Sound United owns Onkyo, I guess this thread should read "Denon/Marantz/Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer vs Yamaha vs Anthem vs Sony".
It’s brand spanking new with factory warranty!

I think i may just do it! The rz820 i sold during my move sounded fantastic. Like i said before, i couldn’t tell a difference between it and the Denon 4400.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think i may just do it! The rz820 i sold during my move sounded fantastic. Like i said before, i couldn’t tell a difference between it and the Denon 4400.:D
In Direct/Bypass/Straight modes, all these AVRs should sound pretty much equal regardless of the DAC since all these DACs have superb specs.

As PENG says, it won't stop some people from saying one brand has a different sound signature than another and one DAC sounds better than another (like some of these people can tell the difference between a SNR of 130dB vs 110dB or some other great specs). :D

Some brands do have better manual EQ - like the Yamaha Parametric EQ - if you use it.

Some brands may have better automatic EQ that some will prefer over the others - if you use it.

But if you don't use manual or auto EQ and all you need is Direct/Bypass mode, then they are all about equal in SQ.

After all that, it comes down to reliability, compatibility, price, and pride of ownership.

Sometimes price might be the salient factor.

Talk all we want, but when someone dangles a juicy price in front of us (like an offer you can't refuse), it can be quite difficult to resist.

So if you go for the $399 brand new Onkyo 11.2CH AVR, we will all fully understand. :D

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
In Direct/Bypass/Straight modes, all these AVRs should sound pretty much equal regardless of the DAC So if you go for the $399 brand new Onkyo 11.2CH AVR, we will all fully understand. :D
That’s exactly how I listen to music (direct) However; with movies, I do use Eq. Although, i have tried direct with movies and it sounds awesome as well.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

That sounds like an excellent deal, it was listed for about $1,299 at launch time?

Like i said before, i couldn’t tell a difference between it and the Denon 4400.:D
Of course, because you have not been told to expect that, but the Marantz SR6012 and SR7012 will sound warmer (at least 10 degrees C or more) to you like they were to others who have been told to expect that.:D:D

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
That sounds like an excellent deal, it was listed for about $1,299 at launch time?

Like i said before, i couldn’t tell a difference between it and the Denon 4400.:D
Of course, because you have not been told to expect that, but the Marantz SR6012 and SR7012 will sound warmer (at least 10 degrees C or more) to you like they were to others who have been told to expect that.:D:D[/QUOTE]

Amazon has it new for 499. Onkyo is taking an additional 100 off. So that in itself is pretty good in my opinion.

On the other hand frys has the x4400h for 599 for anyone else looking to upgrade.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Of course, because you have not been told to expect that, but the Marantz SR6012 and SR7012 will sound warmer (at least 10 degrees C or more) to you like they were to others who have been told to expect that.:D:D
I dunno, my Onkyo 809 is MUCH warmer than any of my current Denon models. Sucker heats up my office so I don't even need heat in the winter.

I remember way back when we had a demo Onkyo 605 inside a cabinet that apparently didn't have enough ventilation. It was close enough to the shelf above it that the wood actually warped after the receiver being turned on inside that cabinet 18hrs a day for over a year. Fun times.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno, my Onkyo 809 is MUCH warmer than any of my current Denon models. Sucker heats up my office so I don't even need heat in the winter.

I remember way back when we had a demo Onkyo 605 inside a cabinet that apparently didn't have enough ventilation. It was close enough to the shelf above it that the wood actually warped after the receiver being turned on inside that cabinet 18hrs a day for over a year. Fun times.
A Denon to keep your coffee mug warm and an Onkyo to fry up your eggs and bacon. LOL :)

E

EBN

Audioholic
Not sure if this has been talked about here, but reading the specs of 2019 Denons and talked with JD at AVSF, there was nice suprise. Denon X3600H comes with 9 internal amps and 11.2 processing! I guess Denon feels the heat from Onkyo and had to act. This is great news as X3300-3500H was known to be great performer! I wonder what they will bring for Marantz SR6014 as it doesn´t have anything special going for the extra price anymore, well HDAM only then..

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X3600H-9-2CH-Receiver-Built/dp/B07RR6WQBW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Denon+AVR-X3600H&qid=1560967576&s=electronics&sr=1-3

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
wow, if not fake news, no wonder the still available few X3400H seems to be on fire sale now! I bet the X3500H will be on the same path soon. Great opportunity for those who are sure they won't go beyond 7 channels but again only if this is real.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
wow, if not fake news, no wonder the still available few X3400H seems to be on fire sale now! I bet the X3500H will be on the same path soon. Great opportunity for those who are sure they won't go beyond 7 channels but again only if this is real.
If the X3600 will have 9Ch amps, will the X4600 have 11Ch amps, and X6600 have 13Ch amps, X8600 have 15Ch amps? :D

Unless it's fake news. :D

@TLS Guy fingers must be itching to type about now. :D

Last edited:
E

EBN

Audioholic
If the X3600 will have 9Ch amps, will the X4600 have 11Ch amps, and X6600 have 13Ch amps, X8600 have 15Ch amps? :D
There won´t be new X4600H / X6600H models this year. X4500H / X6500H will carry on to 2020 when they will be updated with HDMI 2.1 and likely called X4700H / X6700H as the lower series will be "700" serie.

"..the X4500H won't be relieved from duty until 2020. "

- WhatHifi Review

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis