Denon AVRX4400H/Samsung UN82RU8000FXZA Question

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have had a player stop when I turn off the tv, but it just was in pause mode so just needed to hit play again. Think it was playing something from my computer via foobar when that happened. Aside from settings does it happen no matter what hdmi port you're using on the tv? No matter what hdmi port you're using on the avr?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I have had a player stop when I turn off the tv, but it just was in pause mode so just needed to hit play again. Think it was playing something from my computer via foobar when that happened. Aside from settings does it happen no matter what hdmi port you're using on the tv? No matter what hdmi port you're using on the avr?
Yes, happens no matter what HDMI port I use. If I am playing a CD and turn the tv off, the sound continues on the Denon for about 20 - 30 seconds and then cuts off. There is no way to get the sound back on again unless I either turn on the tv or pull the HDMI plug out of the tv. I have tried every combination of settings on both the Denon and Samsung to no avail. The only thing that works is using a totally separate Blu ray player that is plugged into the Denon only be the analog CD jacks from the Player to the Denon analog CD input. Perhaps my tv is a one of a kind freak sort of thing. I can't imagine that all Samdung tv owners would always want their tv on when playing a cd.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, happens no matter what HDMI port I use. If I am playing a CD and turn the tv off, the sound continues on the Denon for about 20 - 30 seconds and then cuts off. There is no way to get the sound back on again unless I either turn on the tv or pull the HDMI plug out of the tv. I have tried every combination of settings on both the Denon and Samsung to no avail. The only thing that works is using a totally separate Blu ray player that is plugged into the Denon only be the analog CD jacks from the Player to the Denon analog CD input. Perhaps my tv is a one of a kind freak sort of thing. I can't imagine that all Samdung tv owners would always want their tv on when playing a cd.
I've got a couple Samsung plasmas (PN D7000 & D8000) myself....the only real funky stuff I've had is trying to use ARC.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I've got a couple Samsung plasmas (PN D7000 & D8000) myself....the only real funky stuff I've had is trying to use ARC.
My old tv was a Sharp 70" set (the biggest picture ever sold at that time, LC 70LE732). When I would turn that set off while listening to a cd, the sound would be muted on the Denon for about 5 seconds or so and then return to normal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My old tv was a Sharp 70" set (the biggest picture ever sold at that time, LC 70LE732). When I would turn that set off while listening to a cd, the sound would be muted on the Denon for about 5 seconds or so and then return to normal.
Curious, how was that particular cd player connected and what was it? Same Denon 4400?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Curious, how was that particular cd player connected and what was it? Same Denon 4400?
No, not a CD player. It is an older Panasonic Blu ray player with both HDMI and 5 channel analog outs. I have it connected only to the Denon analog CD inputs. No HDMI. I have had the Denon 4400 for a while now. Never had the problem with the old tv or any Blu ray players before this. I haven't used an actual CD player for years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I took the easy way out. I have tried every different setting that I could think of and nothing worked. I ended up getting one of my older Panasonic Blu ray players that had analog outputs on it and plugged only the stereo jacks into the Denon's cd inputs in the back. Works as it should that way, but I really shouldn't have to do it this way.
You seem to have mentioned two separate issues so far. One is, when you turn on the Denon to listen to CD or radio, it turns on the Samsung TV as well, the other is, when you turned the TV off, you get "sound blanks out on the Denon after about 30 seconds.

Have you done the following, that have been mentioned in previous posts?

1. Denon: Set HDMI control to "OFF".
2. Samsung TV: Turn Anynet, HDMI+CEC, or anything like that, "OFF".

If even with the above done, the Denon is still turning off the TV and/or vice versa then it would become to sound like a compatibility bug, that may be affecting those two models. My Sony XBR900e/Denon AVR-X4400H have only one apparent bug that if I turn the sony TV off, it would mute the Denon AVR, but muting is just a minor nuisance, and by turning off Sony's Bravia sync, or even just the Bravia sync's powering on/off feature fixed it, so strictly speaking it's not even a bug.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, not a CD player. It is an older Panasonic Blu ray player with both HDMI and 5 channel analog outs. I have it connected only to the Denon analog CD inputs. No HDMI. I have had the Denon 4400 for a while now. Never had the problem with the old tv or any Blu ray players before this. I haven't used an actual CD player for years.
Very weird an analog connection would act like that.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
You seem to have mentioned two separate issues so far. One is, when you turn on the Denon to listen to CD or radio, it turns on the Samsung TV as well, the other is, when you turned the TV off, you get "sound blanks out on the Denon after about 30 seconds.

Have you done the following, that have been mentioned in previous posts?

1. Denon: Set HDMI control to "OFF".
2. Samsung TV: Turn Anynet, HDMI+CEC, or anything like that, "OFF".

If even with the above done, the Denon is still turning off the TV and/or vice versa then it would become to sound like a compatibility bug, that may be affecting those two models. My Sony XBR900e/Denon AVR-X4400H have only one apparent bug that if I turn the sony TV off, it would mute the Denon AVR, but muting is just a minor nuisance, and by turning off Sony's Bravia sync, or even just the Bravia sync's powering on/off feature fixed it, so strictly speaking it's not even a bug.
Yes, I have done those things, it makes absolutely no difference.
Also, no the radio has nothing to do with the tv, it doesn't turn the tv on when I use the radio. The workaround Blu Ray player that I am using is only connected to the Denon via the analog audio inputs. No HDMI connection whatsoever. The Samsung tv HDMI has to be the culprit. I didn't have this problem when I was using the Sharp and the same Denon AV receiver.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing weird I could think of based on what he said in post#20.
I was asking about this he said in post 24:
When I would turn that set off while listening to a cd, the sound would be muted on the Denon for about 5 seconds or so and then return to normal.

I've just never had anything like that at least with switching (and if anything maybe some delay/handshaking things with hdmi)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was asking about this he said in post 24:
When I would turn that set off while listening to a cd, the sound would be muted on the Denon for about 5 seconds or so and then return to normal.

I've just never had anything like that at least with switching (and if anything maybe some delay/handshaking things with hdmi)
I noticed that too, but that was with his old TV, if I understood right. Yes that sounded a little strange regardless.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis