Denon AVRX4400H/Samsung UN82RU8000FXZA Question

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Hope one of you folks have the answer. When I turn on the Denon AVRX4400H to listen to a cd or radio, it automatically turns on the the Samsung tv as well. Most times this wouldn't be a problem; but there are times I only want to listen to music without the tv turning on. Is there a setting in the Samsung tv to stop this from happening? I have read their guide, but unfortunately didn't see any mention to this sort of problem. I have all connections going into the Denon and one cable out to the tv.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hope one of you folks have the answer. When I turn on the Denon AVRX4400H to listen to a cd or radio, it automatically turns on the the Samsung tv as well. Most times this wouldn't be a problem; but there are times I only want to listen to music without the tv turning on. Is there a setting in the Samsung tv to stop this from happening? I have read their guide, but unfortunately didn't see any mention to this sort of problem. I have all connections going into the Denon and one cable out to the tv.
Most likely the HDMI arc's doing. You can turn all HDMI control related features off.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Hi Peng, I just checked the ARC on the Denon and it is off. I went all thru the Samsung menu but didn't find anything that related to ARC. On the bright side, I unplugged everything for a few minutes, then plugged it back in, and it now seems to be working as it should. Stuff like this can drive you wild. In all honesty, I would prefer a "dumb" tv. I have all my separate video devices plugged into the Denon. I really don't want the tv to do anything but work with the Denon. Thanks a million for the help, greatly appreciated!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Good that it worked out for you. You can have ARC, if you want it, and still disable part of HDMI-CEC Consumer Electronics Control that is related to power devices on/off and input switching in all the devices. HDMI-CEC has different brand names, as can be seen in the link I gave, and the settings can be buried deep into the Setup menus for the various devices.

For your AVR the HDMI-CEC has more info in the manual: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/GFNFSYkabkahie.php

My guess is that the Samung TV manual should have similar info.

Last edited:
Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Good that it worked out for you. You can have ARC, if you want it, and still disable part of HDMI-CEC Consumer Electronics Control that is related to power devices on/off and input switching in all the devices. HDMI-CEC has different brand names, as can be seen in the link I gave, and the settings can be buried deep into the Setup menus for the various devices.

For your AVR the HDMI-CEC has more info in the manual: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/GFNFSYkabkahie.php

Thanks!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Peng, I just checked the ARC on the Denon and it is off. I went all thru the Samsung menu but didn't find anything that related to ARC. On the bright side, I unplugged everything for a few minutes, then plugged it back in, and it now seems to be working as it should. Stuff like this can drive you wild. In all honesty, I would prefer a "dumb" tv. I have all my separate video devices plugged into the Denon. I really don't want the tv to do anything but work with the Denon. Thanks a million for the help, greatly appreciated!
I did not ask you to turn off ARC, but the HDMI controls:
setup/video/HDMI setup/HDMI control (make sure this is set to off).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much. I wouldn't have thought to look there. You would think a simple term like audio return channel (ARC) could be standardized.
ARC is just a feature of the HDMI-CEC protocol I believe. HDMI-CEC is implemented differently by different brands, too, which can cause the problems you encountered. I have a Samsung where it's pretty clearly identified....Samsung doesn't do that any more?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
ARC is just a feature of the HDMI-CEC protocol I believe. HDMI-CEC is implemented differently by different brands, too, which can cause the problems you encountered. I have a Samsung where it's pretty clearly identified....Samsung doesn't do that any more?
I can't help but wonder why Samsung would have stopped being clear about ARC. Actually, the Denon receiver owners manual is downright intimidating with over 300 pages of instructions. I was lucky enough to find a guy on Ebay who printed the entire manual for around $50.00. I checked recently and that manual is no longer available, sigh.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't help but wonder why Samsung would have stopped being clear about ARC. Actually, the Denon receiver owners manual is downright intimidating with over 300 pages of instructions. I was lucky enough to find a guy on Ebay who printed the entire manual for around $50.00. I checked recently and that manual is no longer available, sigh.
I meant that in my Samsung that where Anynet+ is mentioned that (HDMI-CEC) is in parentheses next to it both in the on-screen menu and the manual....my Denon 4520 manual is only 227 pages, guess Atmos and 4k added quite a bit of material :) OTOH I much prefer a pdf file to search and read over a printed manual....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
...and after a little looking around as it's been a long time since I used either ARC/HDMI-CEC it doesn't seem they're all that related, altho I did see mention that some units by enabling HDMI-CEC it also enabled ARC....hdmi just has a lot of issues overall.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I did not ask you to turn off ARC, but the HDMI controls:
setup/video/HDMI setup/HDMI control (make sure this is set to off).
Hi Peng, yes, all above controls are set exactly as you quoted. Here is what is happening: When I want to play a cd, the receiver will not pass any sound unless the Samsung tv is also on. When I turn the tv off, sound ceases on the Denon. The only way I found to get sound back was to pull the HDMI jack from the back of the tv, then sound on the Denon returns to normal. Sure hope you might have an idea as to why this is happening.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, I'm not sure how to program those parameters into the Samsung. Give me some time tomorrow to play with it. I will get back to you.
I don't think he's talking about the TV but the Denon, as shown in the Owner's manual page 119:

1559909831434.png

If your CDP, DVDP, or BDP is connected via coax, opt, or analog, it shouldn't be affected by your TV. If it is a DVD or BDP player connected via HDMI, then you need to have the HDMI related settings done correctly. Assuming you have done everything right on the Denon side, you should read the manual of the TV and make sure you have everything set right also. I don't have time to read the Samsung's manual until next week, but hopefully you can figure that out yourself, or someone familiar with Samsung (that particular model) will chime in and help you out.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I don't think he's talking about the TV but the Denon, as shown in the Owner's manual page 119:

View attachment 29738

If your CDP, DVDP, or BDP is connected via coax, opt, or analog, it shouldn't be affected by your TV. If it is a DVD or BDP player connected via HDMI, then you need to have the HDMI related settings done correctly. Assuming you have done everything right on the Denon side, you should read the manual of the TV and make sure you have everything set right also. I don't have time to read the Samsung's manual until next week, but hopefully you can figure that out yourself, or someone familiar with Samsung (that particular model) will chime in and help you out.

View attachment 29738

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I have 3 blu ray players, one android box and one Roku box connected to the Denon through HDMI. I have tried every configuration on both the Denon and Samsung that I can think of. My former tv (Sharp 70") would run a picture of a cd tracks when I wanted it to. When I would turn off the Sharp, there would be a brief audio blank and then sound would be coming thru the Denon as normal. I have no trouble accessing any of my inputs to play. I simply have not been able to turn the tv off and still play a cd. When I turn the tv off the sound blanks out on the Denon after about 30 seconds. It will only come back on again if I either turn the tv back on, or pull the HDMI cord from the receiver or tv. I will have to make a trip to Best Buy and find out if they have any suggestions. I bought the tv there and they also sell Denon.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
...and after a little looking around as it's been a long time since I used either ARC/HDMI-CEC it doesn't seem they're all that related, altho I did see mention that some units by enabling HDMI-CEC it also enabled ARC....hdmi just has a lot of issues overall.
I took the easy way out. I have tried every different setting that I could think of and nothing worked. I ended up getting one of my older Panasonic Blu ray players that had analog outputs on it and plugged only the stereo jacks into the Denon's cd inputs in the back. Works as it should that way, but I really shouldn't have to do it this way.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis