Denon AVR X7200W - completely dead will not turn ON

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
Yes, make sure you have a wrist grounding strap with the cord attached to metal frame that should be grounded to. Then you can handle the board in any manner w/o damaging any component.
what is esd protection - Search (bing.com) If you lay the PCB board on a surface, it also must have an ESD mat and grounded to prevents damage and in the future.

Printed circuit boards that are complex with CMOS items[IC chips], are particularly susceptive to damage. The board may work for a while and fail later, if not ESD protected at all times.

An ESD shielding bag should be used for storing a printed circuit board and or carrying to a different location that is not ESD protected. esd bags for electronics - Search (bing.com)

I am just saying to use cautions. Not any electronic repair facilities can trouble shoot and repair, as they need to have the specific test fixture for that board. Long story short.
Thanks. I have never used a wrist grounding strap, but I found some on E-Bay, and they were cheap. Will use for sure when carefully poking around in the AVR-X7200W. Now, I'll be on the hunt for an ESD mat, as well.

L

Love Me Some Klipsch

Audiophyte
Hmmmm. Not on the subject of my Denon AVR-X7200W issue, but I have worked on the amp plate in my Jamo sub-woofer more than once. Turned out to be blown xstrs in both cases. The first time, the heat conductive grease between one xstr and the heat sink had dried out/disappeared, so it cooked one PNP device on a bass drum roll. The second time, the same thing happened to the complementary NPN device on the same heat sink. Now they're all greased up and ready to boom as required. They were not fun to work on, as I tried to minimize disassembly by keeping a bunch of wires in place during the device replacement.
My comment did not apply to your thread about Denon amps, I apologize

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
OK guys and gals, tried the approach of a direct contact with the Denon support chat line. After all diagnostics and queries went nowhere, service was recommended. Got a referral for service to an electronics store in Tucson that has been out of business for 10 years. That didn't work out too well.

So, before digging into anything, an old tried and proven diagnostic tool was employed. A light thud with the open palm on the rear left top of the Denon was impressed, while simultaneoudly turning on the unit. Damn if it didn't come up normally, and now I'm listening to Diana Krall ("Cry Me A River"), through my 1970 Bozak Symphonies. Geeze she sounds great.

I know, it probably won't last, but at least the cold solder joint or loose connector scenarios look more plausible now. And palm thumps are easy to come by.

The hardware just needs a tune-up.

RMW

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL like the old tv fix....

Searched for electronics/computer repair for Tucson, looks like you have some choice there at least....but wouldn't surprise me even those listings would find a couple gone/closed up these days.

Good luck....

W

WILLIAM R

Enthusiast
hey guys having the same cycling problem exactly and unplugging 48 hrs fixes issue temporarily, any suggestions im in tampa florida if you could please even at least recommend a denon shop??

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hey guys having the same cycling problem exactly and unplugging 48 hrs fixes issue temporarily, any suggestions im in tampa florida if you could please even at least recommend a denon shop??
That is a seven year old receiver, so manufacturers are not required to keep parts, past that length of time. Often they don't keep them that long, as ICs only have one run as a rule. So boards usually run out before seven years. You will need to find an authorized repair center that is still in business. Contact Denon, and find the ones still in business. At the original cost of that receiver, repair is a reasonable option, but be aware that 7 years is on the low end of the life expectancy of receivers.

Receivers tend to be the weak link in the AV chain, unfortunately. Personally I don't use them.

W

WILLIAM R

Enthusiast
That is a seven year old receiver, so manufacturers are not required to keep parts, past that length of time. Often they don't keep them that long, as ICs only have one run as a rule. So boards usually run out before seven years. You will need to find an authorized repair center that is still in business. Contact Denon, and find the ones still in business. At the original cost of that receiver, repair is a reasonable option, but be aware that 7 years is on the low end of the life expectancy of receivers.

Receivers tend to be the weak link in the AV chain, unfortunately. Personally I don't use them.
i barely used this at all and let it sit for a year so its really jacked up that its not working. i played it less than 10 times and mostly just for hooking up… so i dont know but capacitor issue seems logical to me as we do get power fluctuations and i know thats first thing to go in air conditioning systems do to power outages. also what do you use if not receivers??? what is your preffered method??

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
i barely used this at all and let it sit for a year so its really jacked up that its not working. i played it less than 10 times and mostly just for hooking up… so i dont know but capacitor issue seems logical to me as we do get power fluctuations and i know thats first thing to go in air conditioning systems do to power outages. also what do you use if not receivers??? what is your preffered method??
He is referencing AVRs with amps vs prepros without them. Heat is the biggest concern but in your case, it doesn't seem so. I know Denon had issue with some solder on the 6x00 series, not sure it yours uses the same boards or not, I'd confirm with the service center.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I use pre/pros in my three system and external amps from Quad.

Age is probably as big an issue as length of use in failure. Caps tend to age whether used or not. In a solid state device, if there is a minute contamination in the semiconductor material, it will wreak its havoc by age and not hours of use. It is the same with bad solder joints.

You will have to find an authorized service center and hope they are able to fix it.

I have stated that in my view receivers fail far too often. Part of it is putting too many amps in one box, another is stress on the power supplies as amps reduce power as load is shared between, them. So, they are under sized and stressed. It does not have to be this way. Car audio systems are very complex, and now most have active speaker systems with electronic crossovers. Failures in these very complex systems are very rare. It has to be that way, as service access is very limited. The reason is that they use auto grade components, and I expect in some cases aircraft grade components. Auto manufacturers tell the electronics manufacturers, that failures are totally unacceptable. Car electronic systems now have an incredibly low failure rate and extensive auto diagnostics. Sudden failures of vital engine management systems lead to government safety recalls.

In my view the failure rate of AV entertainment systems is unacceptable, not necessary, and should not be tolerated.

W

WILLIAM R

Enthusiast
so pre/pros are better than regular pre amps then? and then just need couple seperate amps and im good?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

so pre/pros are better than regular pre amps then? and then just need couple seperate amps and im good?
Your question is not clear to me. There are audio preamps, and there are Audio/Video preamps. They both need power amps, one amp channel for as many channels as you plan on using.

W

WILLIAM R

Enthusiast
Your question is not clear to me. There are audio preamps, and there are Audio/Video preamps. They both need power amps, one amp channel for as many channels as you plan on using.
sorry to be unclear my apologies, i just meant to go even 1 step further, and ask is one better than the other long term or have they both been considered great and to last a long long time without fail as opposed to one last longer than the other? I will be buying one or the other so any suggestions compared to the equivalent quality range of the denon 7200 would be very much appreciated but honestly i got the avr as an option but i only care about two channel audio. I need to power 2 bowers and wilks 803s and in another room 2 martin logan motion 60's which is all that matters really. i do have an setup wired for home audio surround sound but i can live without that if necessary i also have the martin logan slims and a sub martin to go with and the other system was the 2 bowers 803s and a bowers sub and some ceiling reference speakers and a arcam avr750 but id like to sell or trade out of these as the arcam had some issues too at one point. if only i knew better in the begining lol im trying to learn and be like you guys already darn it lol

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

sorry to be unclear my apologies, i just meant to go even 1 step further, and ask is one better than the other long term or have they both been considered great and to last a long long time without fail as opposed to one last longer than the other? I will be buying one or the other so any suggestions compared to the equivalent quality range of the denon 7200 would be very much appreciated but honestly i got the avr as an option but i only care about two channel audio. I need to power 2 bowers and wilks 803s and in another room 2 martin logan motion 60's which is all that matters really. i do have an setup wired for home audio surround sound but i can live without that if necessary i also have the martin logan slims and a sub martin to go with and the other system was the 2 bowers 803s and a bowers sub and some ceiling reference speakers and a arcam avr750 but id like to sell or trade out of these as the arcam had some issues too at one point. if only i knew better in the begining lol im trying to learn and be like you guys already darn it lol
Analog systems do not generally have bass management. I can see why the receiver blew up. B & W speakers are amp busters, as they present a complex load. Those 803s should not be driven form a receiver.

I would get an AV pre/pro and drive one set of speakers from an amp connected to the main zone, and the other from a different zone with its own power amp.

Personally, I like to keep systems separate, and not drive distant rooms from another.

My three systems are discreet. I have a theater with 7.2.4, in the great room there is a 3.1 system and in the family room a 2.1 system.

W

WILLIAM R

Enthusiast
Analog systems do not generally have bass management. I can see why the receiver blew up. B & W speakers are amp busters, as they present a complex load. Those 803s should not be driven form a receiver.

I would get an AV pre/pro and drive one set of speakers from an amp connected to the main zone, and the other from a different zone with its own power amp.

Personally, I like to keep systems separate, and not drive distant rooms from another.

My three systems are discreet. I have a theater with 7.2.4, in the great room there is a 3.1 system and in the family room a 2.1 system.
thank you sorry for the long wait on response

T

Turtola

Audiophyte
Did they give you a written report that showed which capacitor? If not, you should ask one for it, or at least ask them which one. They can identify it by the specs of the cap, such as the rated voltage, uF (microfarad) value and the temperature rating. The big storage caps in the AVR-X7200WA are rated 22,000 uf each, and rated for 80 V. It is unusual for those to fail in just 5 years. So you may want to call the tech and ask him to suggest the cause of failure. Regardless, for an AVR to live longer, it is advisable to put an external fan on top.
Old thread, but I recntly got a X7200W for free with exactly the same symptoms.

Pulled it apart and two capacitors on the power pcb were done. Both looked fine from the outside.
C6515( 25V 47uF) and C6519(50V 22uF).

Replaced with new ones and now the receiver is up and running again :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Pulled it apart and two capacitors on the power pcb were done. Both looked fine from the outside.

Thanks for that post. We will bear that in mind if we get another post about one of those units "being dead in the water."

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I remember not long after the launch of the 8500, Denon confirmed there were bad caps (not failed but not performed well on ASR's bench) they affected the bench measurements of the 4700 and probably the 6700 too, not sure if that's related. In that case, they sent another sample with the replaced capacitors and they measured fine. I am mentioning this, because there might have been a bad batch of certain small caps such as the ones you mentioned. If that is the case, hopefully, with the replaced caps you should be good to go for a long time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis