Denon AVR X7200W - completely dead will not turn ON

P

poweragent

Enthusiast
I purchased my Denon new about 5 years ago. It has run my home entertainment system very smoothly. Then one day I try to turn it on and nothing! No power, No Standby nada. I call Denon and they tell me to take it to one of their authorized repair shops. The nearest authorized shop is almost 300 miles away. So I pull the power supply board out and check for voltage and all connectors have a voltage output of between 4 and 4.9 volts. So I figure the problem is something other then the power supply. I find a local repair shop here in the Phoenix area. They call me a couple of weeks later to tell me the unit is repaired and the cost was $149. He tells me the problem was a burned out capacitor in the power supply. So I am posting this to let other DENON X7200W owners that if their unit goes dead, check all the capacitors in the power supply

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I purchased my Denon new about 5 years ago. It has run my home entertainment system very smoothly. Then one day I try to turn it on and nothing! No power, No Standby nada. I call Denon and they tell me to take it to one of their authorized repair shops. The nearest authorized shop is almost 300 miles away. So I pull the power supply board out and check for voltage and all connectors have a voltage output of between 4 and 4.9 volts. So I figure the problem is something other then the power supply. I find a local repair shop here in the Phoenix area. They call me a couple of weeks later to tell me the unit is repaired and the cost was $149. He tells me the problem was a burned out capacitor in the power supply. So I am posting this to let other DENON X7200W owners that if their unit goes dead, check all the capacitors in the power supply
Did they give you a written report that showed which capacitor? If not, you should ask one for it, or at least ask them which one. They can identify it by the specs of the cap, such as the rated voltage, uF (microfarad) value and the temperature rating. The big storage caps in the AVR-X7200WA are rated 22,000 uf each, and rated for 80 V. It is unusual for those to fail in just 5 years. So you may want to call the tech and ask him to suggest the cause of failure. Regardless, for an AVR to live longer, it is advisable to put an external fan on top.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How's the ventilation for the avr in your install?

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
I have a Denon AVR-X7200W that will not STAY ON.

When the power button is pushed to go from Standby to On, the receiver cycles back and forth from an attempted turn on, to off/standby, and then back again to an attempted turn on. Was this what your receiver was doing, or was the Standby button not even lighting up?

I have tried a re-initialize procedure, but that makes no difference, even though "Initialize" appears on the display. Whether the two buttons on the front panel are released or continued to be depressed, the "Initialize" shortly disappears, and the on/off cycle continues until the Standby button is held in to stop the cycle.

Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Denon AVR-X7200W that will not STAY ON.

When the power button is pushed to go from Standby to On, the receiver cycles back and forth from an attempted turn on, to off/standby, and then back again to an attempted turn on. Was this what your receiver was doing, or was the Standby button not even lighting up?

I have tried a re-initialize procedure, but that makes no difference, even though "Initialize" appears on the display. Whether the two buttons on the front panel are released or continued to be depressed, the "Initialize" shortly disappears, and the on/off cycle continues until the Standby button is held in to stop the cycle.

Anyone have any ideas what to try next?
Get it repaired. If it will not reset then you can not fix it.

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
Get it repaired. If it will not reset then you can not fix it.
OK, that's always an alternative, although I just bought it, and the guy claims this only happened once, last year, and the re-initialization fixed it. Hmmmm. Maybe not so much.

If repair, any recommendations from anyone regarding repair facilities in Arizona or New Mexico?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you just bought it I'd return it if possible. If it could be reset last time, and it won't allow you to do it it isn't the same issue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, that's always an alternative, although I just bought it, and the guy claims this only happened once, last year, and the re-initialization fixed it. Hmmmm. Maybe not so much.

If repair, any recommendations from anyone regarding repair facilities in Arizona or New Mexico?
I would bet the seller finaegelled the truth as the Irish say.

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
Not looking good on a return, for a variety of reasons. It's also unclear how honest the seller was, regarding the prior reset(s). In other words, he may have had to undertake multiple re-initializations over time, but I will never know as he is headed back for Minnesota and not communicative at this point.

In any event, what is interesting is that after the receiver was unplugged for two days ( a full 48 hours), and then power applied, the start up process worked normally, going directly from Standby to On, without any cycling.

After two such "normal startups and power downs" (to Standby), on the third try, the cycling started again.

When the receiver was only unplugged for 12 hours, the cycling started up as if nothing had changed.

This suggests to me that the problem is likely capacitor related.

I'm still looking for suggestions as to a good and honest electronic shop in Arizona or New Mexico, if anyone has any thoughts.

Unplugging the receiver after each use or leaving it on 24/7 are not good options.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not looking good on a return, for a variety of reasons. It's also unclear how honest the seller was, regarding the prior reset(s). In other words, he may have had to undertake multiple re-initializations over time, but I will never know as he is headed back for Minnesota and not communicative at this point.

In any event, what is interesting is that after the receiver was unplugged for two days ( a full 48 hours), and then power applied, the start up process worked normally, going directly from Standby to On, without any cycling.

After two such "normal startups and power downs" (to Standby), on the third try, the cycling started again.

When the receiver was only unplugged for 12 hours, the cycling started up as if nothing had changed.

I'm still looking for suggestions as to a good and honest electronic shop in Arizona or New Mexico, if anyone has any thoughts.

Unplugging the receiver after each use or leaving it on 24/7 are not good options.
Leaving it on 24/7 is the basic mode, tho....altho in higher states of activity can make a difference perhaps and could be interesting if so (like network control or hdmi control which elevate the standby status). Way over my paygrade to say its capacitor related particularly, tho. I think it just may be an abused unit....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It could be a capacitor, but al lot of other possibilities as well, like a voltage regulator. PM the OP and see where he had his repaired. The problem is they only release service manuals to authorized repair centers. I do suspect your issue is in the power supply though. There are very few independent repair shops that will look at receivers. Also electronic repair shops are far and few between.

L

Love Me Some Klipsch

Audiophyte
Edwards Electronics in Mesa comes highly recommended. They have repaired Klipsch Sub amps in the past, and I have not heard anything negative.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
You might want to look for a cold solder joint on the board[backside] somewhere. A cold solder joint will fail over time and can be intermittent, depending.

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I was able to download the Service Manual, and it is long and detailed, as one might expect.

I am reviewing the service procedures for the fault startup condition. It looks like there is a history of fault conditions which is created by fault incidents, and it can later be reviewed on the display. I plan to review that record.

Cold solder joints and loose connectors are always good suspects. But I still wonder. Why would waiting 48 hours temporarily "cure" a condition, unless it were related to a capacitor, or possibly a cold solder joint that had gone intermittent?

Will keep Edwards Electronics in Mesa in mind. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I was able to download the Service Manual, and it is long and detailed, as one might expect.

I am reviewing the service procedures for the fault startup condition. It looks like there is a history of fault conditions which is created by fault incidents, and it can later be reviewed on the display. I plan to review that record.

Cold solder joints and loose connectors are always good suspects. But I still wonder. Why would waiting 48 hours temporarily "cure" a condition, unless it were related to a capacitor, or possibly a cold solder joint that had gone intermittent?

Will keep Edwards Electronics in Mesa in mind. Thanks!
You are lucky, a service manual is available, which is unusual. The unit seems to have a lot of error codes to check.

I would start on page 101 and check the power supply voltages, as described first. You must use a high impedance amplified meter, either a tube voltmeter or FET VOM.
If you use a multimeter from home depot or the like you will do a lot of damage. Make sure you ground yourself with a grounding bracelet once the case is open.

Good luck!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Yes, make sure you have a wrist grounding strap with the cord attached to metal frame that should be grounded to. Then you can handle the board in any manner w/o damaging any component.
what is esd protection - Search (bing.com) If you lay the PCB board on a surface, it also must have an ESD mat and grounded to prevents damage and in the future.

Printed circuit boards that are complex with CMOS items[IC chips], are particularly susceptive to damage. The board may work for a while and fail later, if not ESD protected at all times.

An ESD shielding bag should be used for storing a printed circuit board and or carrying to a different location that is not ESD protected. esd bags for electronics - Search (bing.com)

I am just saying to use cautions. Not any electronic repair facilities can trouble shoot and repair, as they need to have the specific test fixture for that board. Long story short.

Last edited:
L

Love Me Some Klipsch

Audiophyte
After a 1 hour and 30 minute call on hold, Klipsch told me who they have do all their out-of-warranty repair. I emailed the company and was quoted $150.00 w/o shipping; my amp plate goes out tomorrow, I will keep you posted

rmichaelwest

rmichaelwest

Audiophyte
Hmmmm. Not on the subject of my Denon AVR-X7200W issue, but I have worked on the amp plate in my Jamo sub-woofer more than once. Turned out to be blown xstrs in both cases. The first time, the heat conductive grease between one xstr and the heat sink had dried out/disappeared, so it cooked one PNP device on a bass drum roll. The second time, the same thing happened to the complementary NPN device on the same heat sink. Now they're all greased up and ready to boom as required. They were not fun to work on, as I tried to minimize disassembly by keeping a bunch of wires in place during the device replacement.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis