Denon AVR-X4400 4K HDR HDMI issues?

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Man, I sure do appreciate your knowledge- this type of knowledge is the EXACT reason this is my go to repository for knowledge. With that being said, I've been looking at the 4400, and have also read about some of the issues people have reported. Do you have experience, in your workplace, with this model? Yamaha was mentioned as having what seems to be the best track record. Are there any other products worth investigating?

I've liked Denon for years, and like the 4400 for it's version of Audyssey (I have a 2300 with MultiEQ XT, and the step up to 32 would help me calibrate my subs as they are mismatched), it's 125wpc instead of my present 95wpc, Auro 3d built in saving me $200 on a firmware update, and it's 11.2 processing capabilities for down the road consideration. In other words, it's checking all the right boxes, but I have a tendency to defer to people more educated than I.
Denon AVRs are hard to beat for features...
Since I sell/install HT systems I support the brands that provide the best reliability and compatibility especially for HDMI connectivity. My experience for AVRs is strongly supporting Yamaha, as we support our sales with a 5 year warranty, makes little sense to use other brands that may work but can fall short...
Also today almost all components connect by HDMI and here again Yamaha is the only AVR brand that carries the stringent HDMI/HDCP & CEC certification done by the outside HDMI testing lab. The other brands try to do this crucial HDMI/HDCP testing in-house which can will/have certain limitations. Also comparing Denon to Yamaha AVRs, Yamaha builds all of their AVRs in their own factories whereas Denon AVRs except for the very high-end ones subcontracts assembly outside.

Just my $0.02... ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Denon AVRs are hard to beat for features...
Since I sell/install HT systems I support the brands that provide the best reliability and compatibility especially for HDMI connectivity. My experience for AVRs is strongly supporting Yamaha, as we support our sales with a 5 year warranty, makes little sense to use other brands that may work but can fall short...
Also today almost all components connect by HDMI and here again Yamaha is the only AVR brand that carries the stringent HDMI/HDCP & CEC certification done by the outside HDMI testing lab. The other brands try to do this crucial HDMI/HDCP testing in-house which can will/have certain limitations. Also comparing Denon to Yamaha AVRs, Yamaha builds all of their AVRs in their own factories whereas Denon AVRs except for the very high-end ones subcontracts assembly outside.

Just my $0.02... ;)
I think Denon’s 3400 on sale for $600 is a great value especially if you buy AVRs frequently and use an external amp and I recommend it in that way but I like Yamaha better. :)

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
So, M Code has got me re-thinking things. He's provided some compelling information in favor of Yamaha. I've been reading and the consensus seems to be better sound quality/build quality from Yamaha, but better bass management from Denon. I'm trying to figure out workarounds for that, like Dirac or REW, but I'm pretty ignorant about that stuff. Having mismatched dual subs makes the XT32 really appealing, but I feel that if I take the time and work with the volume (and the Q Control on my HSU) that I might be able to get it right. Looking at the Aventage offerings, I'd probably go with the 3070 from A4L and get the 5 year extended warranty. Yeah, it's significantly more expensive and it's not really about not being able to afford it (I feel very fortunate and am grateful for that)- I'd have to turn off my penny pinching mind while ordering it.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
So, M Code has got me re-thinking things. He's provided some compelling information in favor of Yamaha. I've been reading and the consensus seems to be better sound quality/build quality from Yamaha, but better bass management from Denon. I'm trying to figure out workarounds for that, like Dirac or REW, but I'm pretty ignorant about that stuff. Having mismatched dual subs makes the XT32 really appealing, but I feel that if I take the time and work with the volume (and the Q Control on my HSU) that I might be able to get it right. Looking at the Aventage offerings, I'd probably go with the 3070 from A4L and get the 5 year extended warranty. Yeah, it's significantly more expensive and it's not really about not being able to afford it (I feel very fortunate and am grateful for that)- I'd have to turn off my penny pinching mind while ordering it.
Funny. We are in the same boat. I'm frugal but have resources. So this audio thing has kind of opened a Pandoras box for me so to speak. :)

Anyway, to stay on point. I recently bought KEF R3's and am running them on my older barely above budget level Yamaha RX V473. As I sit here they sound INCREDIBLE, so I suppose an Aventage would only run them better. Anyway. If you like clear, concise, accurate, and dynamic sound, I can contest because I'm listening to it now. I'm sure the R3's don't hurt though because they're turning out to be an awesome choice! And as far as Yamaha, the reliability thing is pretty huge when shelling out thousand dollar bills on a depreciating asset... :)

I may even change my mind about my newly ordered Denon... total analysis paralysis!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In reference to the HDAM, Marantz sounding better than Denon for 2 channel stereo music listening, can you elaborate on how you conclude there's no difference?
Fair question, I have done many sessions of comparison listening between several Denon AVRs, two Marantz AVP, and two pairs of separates including a pair of vintage Marantz that's uses no ICs, and experienced no brand signature sound quality. Every FR I plotted using REW, you cannot tell which curve is for which unit, the look identical.

So I concluded that Marantz did well in their HDAM design, that they succeeded in making them transparent, though redundant in practical term but that's just my opinion.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
Fair question, I have done many sessions of comparison listening between several Denon AVRs, two Marantz AVP, and two pairs of separates including a pair of vintage Marantz that's uses no ICs, and experienced no brand signature sound quality. Every FR I plotted using REW, you cannot tell which curve is for which unit, the look identical.

So I concluded that Marantz did well in their HDAM design, that they succeeded in making them transparent, though redundant in practical term but that's just my opinion.
Thanks. I've read so many responses that say they could tell the difference, it made it more difficult for me to decide between the SR7012 and X4400. In the end I chose the X4400 because it seemed like a great value, and I kind of suspected what you shared could be the case. :)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I may be late to the party, but I have a Denon AVR-X4400H and play a few 4K Blu Ray discs but it's only to get the Atmos Audio. My TV is only a Samsung 1080P, so the 4400H dumbs down the video to it. But it does it well everytime so far without issue.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I've read so many responses that say they could tell the difference, it made it more difficult for me to decide between the SR7012 and X4400. In the end I chose the X4400 because it seemed like a great value, and I kind of suspected what you shared could be the case. :)
I understand the dilemma, been there myself. It took years before I decided to read subjective reviews for fun only, except on reliability issues and/or obvious sound quality related issues that are reported by a large number of people online, relatively speaking. For example, if 10% of 50 reviews described the same or similar issues, then I may take it seriously. The claim that Yamaha AVRs in general seem more reliable could be one such example. Other than that, subjective reviews on sound quality related things tend to exaggerated, embellished, and are prone to expectation bias, influenced by hearsay from the old days etc etc..

Now, if you look at it logically, those who claim M has a warmer sound than D and D has a warmer sound then Y in general are just claims based on users subjective impressions in their own environment using their own combination of gear and media source, and nothing else really. On the other hand, those who claim there are no brand sound signature are also based on their own subjective impressions in their own environment, gear combination etc. as well, but their claims (such as mine) do have facts and figures, albeit not complete on their side. That is:

a) design (say, comparing the same class such as AB amps),
b) the use of same or similar components, example: comparing the AVR-X4400H to SR7012,
c) bench test results that support the advertised audio related specs
d) the fact that distortions, such as THD+N <0.1% is widely accepted as not discernible by normal people

Narrow that down to D, and M, the only logical reason for the M to sound different is the HDAM modules. Take a look of the official Marantz blurbs on them:

https://www.acehomeaudio.com/single-post/2017/10/14/What-is-HDAM-and-why-does-it-matter

Doesn't that look like something written by their marketing department? The fact is, those modules as shown in the schematics, appeared to be used as a final buffer stage for the pre-outs only. Even if they do outperform OPA/ICs, they won't make a difference because if you believe they are the best in the chain then they are limited by the bottleneck components such as other OPAs/ICs upstream, as Dr. Rich (a PhD in EE) suggested in a hometheaterhifi.com article that I linked in another thread. Also, clearly their design goal is still just to achieve as much transparency as possible, not to "tone" the sound to the often claimed "warm" side as such.

So, believe in marketing hypes, hearsay, or incomplete facts and figures, tough choice indeed but is your choice in the end. For me, I have the Denon in the HT set up now for a 3 months already and I don't miss the $3000 Marantz AVP at all. I do love the AVP and will keep it in my two channel system unless someone offers me at least $1000 for it.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
I understand the dilemma, been there myself.

Now, if you look at it logically, those who claim M has a warmer sound than D and D has a warmer sound then Y in general are just claims based on users subjective impressions in their own environment using their own combination of gear and media source, and nothing else really. On the other hand, those who claim there are no brand sound signature are also based on their own subjective impressions in their own environment, gear combination etc. as well, but their claims (such as mine) do have facts and figures, albeit not complete on their side. That is:

a) design (say, comparing the same class such as AB amps),
b) the use of same or similar components, example: comparing the AVR-X4400H to SR7012,
c) bench test results that support the advertised audio related specs
d) the fact that distortions, such as THD+N <0.1% is widely accepted as not discernible by normal people
Thanks for such a well written explanation!

Referring to a), which class of amp do you personally feel sounds best?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for such a well written explanation!

Referring to a), which class of amp do you personally feel sounds best?
You are asking the wrong person as I happen to believe it is not the "class" that determines the sound quality of an amplifier. Class, A, AB, D, G, H are among the popular ones and they all can sound good, enough that you can't tell the difference in a controlled AB comparison listening tests. Having said that, I do expect a pair of Bel Canto class D mono blocks to sound better than a $300 two channel class D amp under certain conditions, so again, it is not just the "class" that matters. Many people believe class A amps sound better because it does not inherently produce crossover distortions, but the fact is, XO distortion is typically negligibly low to be an issue in just about any well designed/built class AB amps so the audio benefits of class A amp is just academic.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Almost any Class A-B amplifier can be adjusted to decrease X-over distortion..
By simply setting the bias higher so the output devices are partially ON..
However...
The tradeoffs are higher idle current and the output stage run significantly hotter..
In my experience and humble opinion it does make an audible difference..

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Almost any Class A-B amplifier can be adjusted to decrease X-over distortion..
By simply setting the bias higher so the output devices are partially ON..
However...
The tradeoffs are higher idle current and the output stage run significantly hotter..
In my experience and humble opinion it does make an audible difference..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Like any distortions, if high enough of course it would make an audible difference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis