Denon AVR-X3600H vs AVR-X4700H Measurement Report

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would take the X4000 series over the X3000 series 100% of the time.
People do realize they can’t hear any difference between any of these THD/SINAD, right? :D
Except the ones who have golden ears of course! :rolleyes:

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My 4400 got it last night. If you know what it fixed, please share.. You don't want a 3600 that's why you bought the 4500, or you had no choice because the 3600 was sold out? I have no doubt the 4500 is a much better value if you got it for the same price as the 3600. Absolutely no doubt!!
x4500h Firmware Update
2020/06/25
[Version: 2461-8275-1132-2065]
(1) Fixed the problem that a specific album cannot be played on Amazon Music HD.
(2) Fixed a bug that certain stations could not be played in Tune In.

I bought the Denon 4500 Refurb for $899 in Feb. 2020. It now sells for $999. The Refurb Denon 3600 is now selling for $949. Personally, I think the 4500 is a bigger upgrade than $50 but Mr. Market says different.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
x4500h Firmware Update
2020/06/25
[Version: 2461-8275-1132-2065]
(1) Fixed the problem that a specific album cannot be played on Amazon Music HD.
(2) Fixed a bug that certain stations could not be played in Tune In.

I bought the Denon 4500 Refurb for $899 in Feb. 2020. It now sells for $999. The Refurb Denon 3600 is now selling for $949. Personally, I think the 4500 is a bigger upgrade than $50 but Mr. Market says different.

Thank you very much, but I am pretty sure the one on 6/25 was a different one as I remember clearly when I got the one just two nights ago, 7/9 I was very surprised because it just got update like only a week or 2 ago.

Yes you've got yourself a very good deal especially if those so called refurb are most likely just open box practically brand new returns with full Denon warranty.

I know some people may still second guess if the 3600 was actually better on the test bench based on ASR's measurements. I can assure you that based on the measurements of the 4700 and the fact that the difference between the 3600 and 4500 are just the feature difference between different model years. Their audio signal path circuitry and parts are virtually identical so their specs and measurements should also be near identical.

The main benefits (the ones that count, gadgets/marketing hypes such as AL32, DDSC HD etc.. excluded)
- larger power supply.
- Front HDMI port (can be very useful, for example if you use REW to plot graphs)
- Zone 3
- 2 triggers vs 1
- 2 lines display

rocky01

rocky01

Audiophyte
Soo many online reviews appear to be marketing straight from Denon. Unlike this site of course.

How many watts RMS for five channels driven continous? Seven? Not sure how 2 channels driven helps me. What is the big secret for?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Soo many online reviews appear to be marketing straight from Denon. Unlike this site of course.

How many watts RMS for five channels driven continous? Seven? Not sure how 2 channels driven helps me. What is the big secret for?
Denon and Marantz say that you can expect 70% of rated output when running all channels... Real world content, not all-channel sine waves (which would likely blow up some part of the system, if not everything. :p ).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The 2ch rating isn't to help you, it's to help the brand advertise a bit higher wattage figures (plus somewhat easier to test, too). Not that an all channels driven rating is very important in real life usage, either. Some bench tests will do a 5 or 7 ch driven test, tho (ASR added such test results eventually). Generally with Marantz/Denon you'll get around 70% of the 2ch rating into 5ch. You can also check out an early X4xxx series bench test like this for an idea https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

rocky01

rocky01

Audiophyte
Agreed. Using it as a preamp, since this isn't my first rodeo. Amazing how many reviews skirt the issue entirely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
WTH

You getting smart?
Well I wouldn't want to go the other direction but serious, not sure what issue you were referring to particularly let alone expectations of change. The FTC rules? Don't expect improvement (or any action at all) there. Habits of many offering reviews of gear on press releases or simply uncontrolled subjective impressions without measurements? That avrs don't have stronger amp sections?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Uh huh. Suggestion to flamethrowers and other would be trolls : stay out of grown folks business silly mofo. Do not feel obligated to look at or respond to my posts. No time for you.
Your four posts aren't much of a start, you silly mofo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis