E

Event-Horizon

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I’m new here so I hope this thread follows all the correct guidelines. ;)

I recently traded in my Denon 3805 to the new 4806. Hi-fi Buys has an awesome trade up system. :D

Anyway, the 4806 is an extremely large receiver, well not as big as the 5805, but a lot bigger and heavier than my 3805. But this is to fit all the extras into it. I never realized how large the transformer was on the 4806 until I got it home; I had only seen them in pictures on the web. The 3805’s transformer pales in comparison to the 4806. I’m guessing that it’s also used in the 5805. The 4806 also run very warm after being in use for a little while. You can feel a lot of heat rising out of the amp sections on either side of the receiver. Lets just say, if you have a small room, it will heat it up rather quickly.

When I got it home, making all the connections was easy. I’d be surprised if anyone could use all of them on the back. Next I went through the various on screen displays to setup my system. Set all the speakers to small, left the sub crossover at “THX fixed” which I am assuming is 80Hz, assigned the various digital inputs to the appropriate video input, etc. Let me tell you there are A LOT of options in this thing! I really like the option where you can rename the inputs. For Example, I renamed VCR-1 to XBOX, so it displays XBOX on the front panel when selected.

Instead of setting the receiver up manually with a SPL meter like I did with my 3805, I decided to try the Audyssey auto setup. I placed the mic on my camera tri-pod in the main listening position for the first test. Luckily, the Denon mic is included with the 4806. When you first run the Audyssey it sends out a series of test tones to determine what speakers you have hooked up. Next it will ask you to place the mic in the main listening position and repeats the test. You do this a total of 7 more times in 7 different locations based around the main listening point. After the 8 points are finished calculates the results and determines the channel levels, speaker size, EQ, crossover, and distance.

What I found when I ran this test is that it configured my left, right, and center speakers as “large” and my surrounds as small. I eventually went back and set them back to “small” The distances were pretty dead on, and so were the channel levels. I only needed to adjust a few channels within 0.5dB. I did find it odd that Audyssey had adjusted almost all of my channels to negative 3-5dB. Why would it adjust them all the channels to negative? Why not leave some at 0 and adjust them accordingly? The crossover was set to something weird like Center: 40Hz, Left and Right: 60Hz, and the LFE was set at 80Hz. What I did like though were the EQ’s that Audyssey generated. The one that I think sounded the best was “Flat”. When I played movies through the 4806 with “flat” enabled, it made the speakers seem seamless. Audyssey isn’t perfect but it does do a good job getting you going and makes it easier for you to tweak the system. One of these days I’m going to get a good setup DVD so that I can configure the EQ myself.

The 4806 can really push my Polk speakers now. I have the Rti10’s floor standing, Csi5 center channel, and Fxi3 surround speakers. Before with the 3805, it seemed as if the Rti10’s were missing some mid range, but with the 4806, the sound is much more full. I’m not sure if this is because of the amp itself or the settings that Audyssey gave me for the EQ. All I know is that they do sound better.

I tried some different movies to test out my new setup and some Halo 2. I watched a lot of the Superbit DVD movie “Fifth Element” because I think it makes full use of the receiver’s capabilities. The sound effects and the music sound really great, I think there were a few things in the movie that I had never really heard before or other sounds where just more clear and detailed. My favorite part of the movie is the Opera house scene; the music was very detailed and not overly bright. It just sounded perfect like you were there. Shortly after you get into some good action scenes with gunfights and explosions, all which the 4806 handled without a problem. However, the test that really impressed me the most was Halo 2. This game makes VERY good use of Dolby Digital 5.1 with sound all around you throughout the entire game. The 5.1 can be very helpful when fighting as you can hear enemies sneaking up behind you or gunfire. At one point in the game I heard a voice behind me, and I almost turned around to see who was there because it sounded so real.

Overall, I really like the 4806. It’s a beast, yet very flexible. It will take anything you through at it and output it with finesse. I might have to upgrade to the Polk Lsi series one day to match the amp. ;) I think if someone is really into home theater this is a good receiver to consider.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions about how to setup this amp or anything else, please let me know. Maybe we will have to start a AVR-4806 owners thread soon!

Oh, yeah, its still the same remote we all love. :p

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
Thanks

Very nice "first look" and a great first post! Glad to hear you're happy with your upgrade. I just went from a 3803 to a 5803 and the difference is amazing. Welcome and Enjoy...

Last edited:
Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Congrats on your new toy! Sounds awesome!!!

Do you have a subwoofer? The only thing I can think of that would cause all your speakers to be set below 0, is the receiver is compensating for a low setting on a subwoofer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Event-Horizon;

Nice write up, hey want a job!? :p

You should try the "Audyssey" EQ setting again as that should actually give you the most accurate results. Also, I suggest trying some of the measurement techniques I established in my AVR-5805 review (IE. pointing the mic at each speaker during the calibration).

E

Event-Horizon

Enthusiast
coops said:
Congrats on your new toy! Sounds awesome!!!

Do you have a subwoofer? The only thing I can think of that would cause all your speakers to be set below 0, is the receiver is compensating for a low setting on a subwoofer.
Yeah, I think its a 10" Polk Audio PSW404. probably not the best sub in the world, but it gets the job done.

Gene, as far as the Audyssey setup goes, does it build off of the settings you have already established or does it reset everything. I'll have to try the 5805 method later tonight and see how it does. Thanks!

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I think if the sub is playing low then the receiver will compensate by lowering the rest of the speakers to try and match the output of the sub. Others will have a better explaination but that might be your problem.
Event Horizon is a great movie...freaked me out!

E

Event-Horizon

Enthusiast
gene said:
Event-Horizon;

Nice write up, hey want a job!? :p

You should try the "Audyssey" EQ setting again as that should actually give you the most accurate results. Also, I suggest trying some of the measurement techniques I established in my AVR-5805 review (IE. pointing the mic at each speaker during the calibration).
Gene, when you pointed the mic at each speaker, did you move to a different location for each measurement point or did you stay in one place. For example, for point 2 did you move to a different part of the couch? I'm also getting lop-sided EQ results for my fronts. The right front has boosted more than the left front in most areas. What would be the cause for this?

Thanks for the help!

E

Event-Horizon

Enthusiast
Hi-Fi Buys is a Home Theater company located mainly in the South East. Their parent company is Tweeter. They tend to sell more high end equipment when compared to Best Buy or Circuit City.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, when you pointed the mic at each speaker, did you move to a different location for each measurement point or did you stay in one place.
Yes I chose the primary listening positions. In addition, since my speakers are a truncated line array, I also took measurements at varying heights from the 4 primary positions.

Check out my Calibration Suggestions on Audyssey for further information.

C

closet av

Audiophyte
Denon 4806

Nice... and helpful threads. I'm a newbie to this site.

Received and installed the 4806 a couple of weeks ago. An amazing a/v receiver. The audio processing is excellent and after assigning everything by-the-book, biamping the Front L&R from Surround Back, and running the Auto EQ setup (still reports a phase problem with my Surr A speakers eventhough they ARE wired correctly - gave up trying to ID the issue - must be the speakers), my personal preference was to sit, listen and readjust EQ manually - but AutoEQ worked well. Agree - Flat sounds clean. Sound stage is very balanced. A top notch audio processor. I usually stick with "standard" or "pure" - all digital connections (except the turn table - yes, .. turntable! Whada luddite. And VCR of course) The direct audio inputs seem superfluous with the 4806 decoders.... A second subwf pre-out would of been nice. However; IMHO the advance with the 4806 is the video processing. Upconversion from composite or s-video to HDMI looks good (as good as can be expected) and there is absolutely no loss of (and maybe some improvement) in the component to HDMI conversion. No signal loss/artifacts with a 50ft HDMI cable to monitor!! NO other HDMI thing I have would work at that cable length. I'm still not comfortable with the HDMI audio to AMP signal processing... need to experiment some, but using one of the many optical audio inputs is just fine. OSD resolution mismatch with HD results in unnecesary (not pretty either) res switching when using OSD at 720P and higher. It will certainly warm the room this winter! A real gem.

I was hoping/expecting this would be an upgrade from my [old] H-K Signature 2.0 and Sunfire cinema grand: for video - a resounding yes. But needless to say, IMO it's hard to beat the (H-K 2.0 and) the Carver amp. Maybe it's just a favorite pair of jeans. The 4806 is easily "as good as", possibly better, and one box - nice. At this level, I'm not sure I could tell anyway. :eek:

Looking at denon's universal disk players - ANY ADVICE?

System:
Jamo concert 8's
Jamo center and surrounds
Sunfire true SW :D
Pioneer 61" plasma :D
HD satellite
Alesis ML-9000
LG "upconverting" dvd :(
Sony pro scan DVD :)
NAK CD
...etc.

closet av

T

twominute00

Audiophyte
Assistance please re: 4802

Is it possible upgrade my firmware on my 4802? Any idea of cost?
Who do I contact?

Thanks,
Jay

please send a note to twominute00 AT hotmail DOT com would be greatly appreciated.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Is it possible upgrade my firmware on my 4802? Any idea of cost?
Who do I contact?
Thanks,
Jay
Jay,
Call Denon Tech service at 800-497-8921 8:30-5pm central time to find out. It's usually less than a 5 minute wait. Mondays are the slowest. ;)

P

pwanghk

Audiophyte
Greetings:

Is the 4806 transformer toroidal?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
pwanghk said:
Greetings:

Is the 4806 transformer toroidal?

Thanks in advance for the info.
I think it has Dual E-Core transformers as well as a Toroid.

P

pwanghk

Audiophyte
Thanks, Buckeyefan, for the info.

It's unbelievable that this unit has 3 transformers. I am wondering which one is served to deliver the power.

E

Event-Horizon

Enthusiast
There are alot of good pics of the 4806 at the German Denon site. It's called the AVC-A11XV there.
http://www.denon.de/site/unten.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&fill=1&action=detail&Pid=213&#

4806 opened: http://www.denon.de/site/datadir/gr/1_gr_av_AVCA11XV_inside1.jpg

Check out the pic that show's off the insides.

Also, check this site out for a review.
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/denon_avc_a11xv_1.shtml
use this translator: http://babelfish.altavista.com/

They say that it also has three other smaller transformers for other circuits in the receiver.

Sorry for all the links ;)

Last edited:
L

legacy

Enthusiast
Great link! You can also try this translator:
http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html

Little measurement data is presented but the reviewers can't say enough good about the 4806, claiming it surpases anything else they have tested (including in some ways the 5805).

The AVC-A11XV is any more and not less than best sounding Denon AV amplifier, which we were allowed to take so far under the magnifying glass.

Now we wait for a more scientific audioholics review, though I doubt they will be as thorough on the volume knob and receiver feet.

P

pwanghk

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your great links.

Unfortunately, I try both translator and none of them work. So I am unable to read the review. It's a real beauty just contemplating the picture though :D . I can't wait to get my hand on this beast.

For those who already get the product, what are your wish list that you would like Denon to add into the receiver in the future? Is it really complex to set this beast up using the Audissey? Is this Audissey thing really works or you prefer to set up manually? In the later case, what media do you use to calibrate the receiver?

Have you tried any DTS movie yet? If so, is the sound any better and clearer than 5.1 AC3, especially dialog coming from the center channel? I have an old Denon AVR 2700 with JPB 5.1 THX Certified speaker. The dialog seems to be low. However, if I increase the volume the others sounds (action, explosion, etc) is too loud.

I calibrate the speaker level using Avia disc along with a sound meter mouting on a tripod.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis