Denon AVR-4520ci has arrived and is installed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So are you using Audyssey Flat + DEQ or Audyssey + DEQ or Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Mine arrives today:D. I will have just look at it for a day or two as the custom shelf will not be in until the end of the week and I am not supposed to pick anything up more than 10 lbs. I will post pics of the box.:rolleyes:

I must say I am excited. Looking forward to see how the new audyssey sub eq sounds and playing with some of the other new features. My kids bedroom is above the theater so the new LFE and dialog enhancer is interesting as well.

I will also eventually use the zone 4 HDMI out via hdbaset to my living room. No 4k or 3d in my near future so I will not be commenting on those features.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Mine arrives today:D. I will have just look at it for a day or two as the custom shelf will not be in until the end of the week and I am not supposed to pick anything up more than 10 lbs. I will post pics of the box.:rolleyes:

I must say I am excited. Looking forward to see how the new audyssey sub eq sounds and playing with some of the other new features. My kids bedroom is above the theater so the new LFE and dialog enhancer is interesting as well.

I will also eventually use the zone 4 HDMI out via hdbaset to my living room. No 4k or 3d in my near future so I will not be commenting on those features.
You are going to be busy, I know so because I was busy for a while going from the 7005 to 8801, and the 4520 has even more things to play with.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Enjoy your new AVR!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Thanks surveyor. How do you like the 3313 blu-ray player? I was just offered what may be to good of a deal to pass up on one from the same dealer. My oppo has been great but the 3313 looks really nice and the denon link intrigues me.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I like the 3313 Blu-ray player. It's built well and does an excellent job either video and audio. I don't know if it would an improvement over your oppo Blu-ray player?
Thanks surveyor. How do you like the 3313 blu-ray player? I was just offered what may be to good of a deal to pass up on one from the same dealer. My oppo has been great but the 3313 looks really nice and the denon link intrigues me.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I don't think it will be "better" but it would bring NetFlix and other apps in and I can sell the Oppo at a decent price making the change less painful. I was really into the idea last night where today, not as much.

Just finishing with the full setup of my 4520. I ran 7 positions with Audyssey and I like the outcome. Th XT32 runs much faster. I think it probably only took 20 minutes from start to finish. I will have to play around a bit. It said my big sub was too loud and it does not have a volume control so it maxed out the trim down to -12db. I don't remember that being and issue when regular XT. I adjusted my crossovers and the distances where really close.

I will play around with LFC and dialog enhancement when the kid goes to bed. I will have to check out some familiar material to see if I can tell any true differences. All and all though I am happy with the upgrade.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
In my case, the circumstances were different. I needed a new multidisc player- in order to stream DSD to the 4520. I went with the 3313 versus the Oppo 105. The authorized dealer that I purchased the 4520 made me a sweet deal. I think the 3313 could hold it own against the competition!
I don't think it will be "better" but it would bring NetFlix and other apps in and I can sell the Oppo at a decent price making the change less painful. I was really into the idea last night where today, not as much.

Just finishing with the full setup of my 4520. I ran 7 positions with Audyssey and I like the outcome. Th XT32 runs much faster. I think it probably only took 20 minutes from start to finish. I will have to play around a bit. It said my big sub was too loud and it does not have a volume control so it maxed out the trim down to -12db. I don't remember that being and issue when regular XT. I adjusted my crossovers and the distances where really close.

I will play around with LFC and dialog enhancement when the kid goes to bed. I will have to check out some familiar material to see if I can tell any true differences. All and all though I am happy with the upgrade.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It said my big sub was too loud and it does not have a volume control so it maxed out the trim down to -12db. I don't remember that being and issue when regular XT. I adjusted my crossovers and the distances where really close.
Same thing happened to me going from the 7005 to 8801. I think the 2012/13 D&M flagship models have higher sub output than the models they replaced. Too bad you don't have control of the sub volume but I guess you could go easy of DEQ then but ADTG will advice you against that for sure.:D

I have no use for LFC but DEQ surely is nice. As for SQ, I found no difference other than definitely better bass, when they tell you about the big increase in sub EQ resolution they weren't kidding.

Are you using the internal amps for the surround channels?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...DEQ surely is nice. As for SQ, I found no difference other than definitely better bass, when they tell you about the big increase in sub EQ resolution they weren't kidding.
Audyssey XT set my all my subs to -12.0, but I set them to -8.0 w/ DEQ.

Without DEQ, I would probably set my subs to +6.0 because I just don't get great bass w/o DEQ. :eek:

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Are you using the internal amps for the surround channels?
Yes along with the Center. I now only use my two channel ATI for the front two speakers.

Audyssey XT set my all my subs to -12.0, but I set them to -8.0 w/ DEQ.

Without DEQ, I would probably set my subs to +6.0 because I just don't get great bass w/o DEQ. :eek:
I had DEQ with the 7005 so I have been using it for a while. I want to play with the different curves and see if there is one that I like over the others. Looking forward to picking up Pacific Rim for a real workout.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had DEQ with the 7005 so I have been using it for a while. I want to play with the different curves and see if there is one that I like over the others. Looking forward to picking up Pacific Rim for a real workout.
I used to set my subs HOT like +10dB above my speakers before I used DEQ. Now w/ DEQ I set them to the same level as my speakers - not hot. And yet I still get wall shaking bass.

I just saw "Dark Skies". The bass as also crazy in this movie. It's great. I bet "Pacific Rim" will have cataclismic bass w/ DEQ engaged. :eek:

Are you referring to the Flat vs. Audyssey curve?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes the different curves under the Audyssey menu.

The family is away to so I am watching The Avengers now. The bass is much smoother than before. I am using Aud + DEQ 0db offest and -10 on the dial. Sounds really good.:D:D I also feel like it is using the surrounds much more which makes it feel more enveloping. I would say right now I am very pleased with the upgrade. What is funny is now that I have all the extra internal amps I want to use them. If I can find a nice set of EVO2 10's I will add them in a heartbeat.

Wife is picking up Pacific Rim in town and the kid is spending the night at a friends. Fun night to come.:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes the different curves under the Audyssey menu.

The family is away to so I am watching The Avengers now. The bass is much smoother than before. I am using Aud + DEQ 0db offest and -10 on the dial. Sounds really good.:D:D I also feel like it is using the surrounds much more which makes it feel more enveloping. I would say right now I am very pleased with the upgrade. What is funny is now that I have all the extra internal amps I want to use them. If I can find a nice set of EVO2 10's I will add them in a heartbeat.

Wife is picking up Pacific Rim in town and the kid is spending the night at a friends. Fun night to come.:)
I felt the same going from the AV7005 to the AV8801 (essentially the same regardless of what D&M marketing tells us), that is, better sounding bass and the surrounds are more pronounced and enveloping probably due to the much more powerful processors on board.

The only things I do prefer the old AV7005 are the Audyssey column bar graphs vs the AV8801's line graphs that are much harder to read if possible at all. The AV8801's graph are back to exactly the same as my even older Denon AVR-4308. I would bet the 4520 also has the line graph, because once again I firmly believe it is electronically the same as the Marantz. The only other thing I miss, is the Denon Link but that's just another thing to play with, not that I think it sounds better than using HDMI.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hmm. If I change to Graphic EQ for Aud and then go the graphic eq section and look at a graph for L/R etc. I get a graph that has a bar for each frequency. Are these the graph's you have a line for?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm. If I change to Graphic EQ for Aud and then go the graphic eq section and look at a graph for L/R etc. I get a graph that has a bar for each frequency. Are these the graph's you have a line for?
No, that one is fine as they are the column bar graph that I can see clearly. The ones that I don't like are those in the Audyssey setup under check results and then select the equalizers and then you can see the graphs for Audyssey and Audyssey Flat. Those are the ones that I found the AV7005 does a much better job, not that it really matter other than visual presentation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis