Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
I didn't care much for it either until I discovered 24hrs of Pink Floyd in 130k WMA! Thrown into PLIIx Music with 7CH Restorer feature is quite awesome.

Is it me or does this AVP really grow on you over time? :confused:
Certainly does, it's mentioned quite often that the AVP gets better over time.I was mucking around with streaming music of my music files and would have to say the sound is superb.

BTW OT I redid audyssey kept my HAA calibrations for the 2 SW(they are plugged into a y adapter, the AVP recognises them as one sub) and funny enough Audyssey kept the distance and volume the same as my HAA calibrator settings. Outcome: Unbelievable,it's perfect.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
BTW OT I redid audyssey kept my HAA calibrations for the 2 SW(they are plugged into a y adapter, the AVP recognises them as one sub) and funny enough Audyssey kept the distance and volume the same as my HAA calibrator settings. Outcome: Unbelievable,it's perfect.
Why did you use a y-adaptor for your subs? The Denon has a 2SP Mix mode which would allow you independent level/trim controls for each sub while also sending identical content to both.

Have you read this article for reference:
Multi Subwoofer Connection Guide

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Why did you use a y-adaptor for your subs? The Denon has a 2SP Mix mode which would allow you independent level/trim controls for each sub while also sending identical content to both.

Have you read this article for reference:
Multi Subwoofer Connection Guide
well thats the thing I tried it first with the 2SP MIX and cleared all settings off my two subs and kept vol half result absolutley horrible, I then did a second attempt and restored the (HAA Calibration ) settings on my subs and re did audyssey and again it was lost.

I threw back on the Y adapter kept the (HAA Calibration ) settings re did audyssey third time and it was back.The distance,the level was exact.I don't know why but it did not work with the 2SP mix.

They have been pos in the right place for my room as the reading on the Sencore unit showed it to be the best place.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
well thats the thing I tried it first with the 2SP MIX and cleared all settings off my two subs and kept vol half result absolutley horrible, I then did a second attempt and restored the (HAA Calibration ) settings on my subs and re did audyssey and again it was lost.

I threw back on the Y adapter kept the (HAA Calibration ) settings re did audyssey third time and it was back.The distance,the level was exact.I don't know why but it did not work with the 2SP mix.

They have been pos in the right place for my room as the reading on the Sencore unit showed it to be the best place.
I am not sure what HAA did other than adjust level and trim and find the right locations for your 2 subs. If they took an average distance of the 2 subs and entered that into the processor than you're probably OK. I assume they level matched the subs individually before dialing in the right level on the Denon.

You should be able to write down the levels of all your channels and then copy them over once you switch to 2sp mix sub mode. If you've got an SPL meter you can recal the sub levels. Measure the current setup SPLs and use them as a baseline when switching over to 2sp mix mode.

Since it sounds like you're already happy with the results, you may not want to mess with it. The other option is to call HAA back and have them setup your processor correctly which allows for 2 sub outs so you have more flexibility in level changing and such. I am surprised they didn't think of doing this.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
I am not sure what HAA did other than adjust level and trim and find the right locations for your 2 subs. If they took an average distance of the 2 subs and entered that into the processor than you're probably OK. I assume they level matched the subs individually before dialing in the right level on the Denon.

You should be able to write down the levels of all your channels and then copy them over once you switch to 2sp mix sub mode. If you've got an SPL meter you can recal the sub levels. Measure the current setup SPLs and use them as a baseline when switching over to 2sp mix mode.

Since it sounds like you're already happy with the results, you may not want to mess with it. The other option is to call HAA back and have them setup your processor correctly which allows for 2 sub outs so you have more flexibility in level changing and such. I am surprised they didn't think of doing this.
Well how it works is the Senocore unit plugs into the AVP via optical and all the settings get changed via the AVP. So he got the distance correct because when we measured for the distance for each speaker.The subs working as one were measured as one and the distance setting and level settings were correct.just to give you an idea when I did apply the HAA settings to 2SP mix the second attempt and the outcome was bad i also changed the distance and level to match what i had i before and it did not work.
For some reason working as one works better.BTW I read the article isn't Sub pos detirmined on the room environment? Another thing does it fill the dead spots in other lis pos? My sub pos's actually do I sat in each seating pos and you could hear the bass just as perfect as the main lis pos.

i remember with the A1XVA pre HAA days and i had two sub on on the front like your figure one and when watching twister back then to show a family friend I made them sit in a lis pos and I sat on the far side and the bass was very low in that pos.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well how it works is the Senocore unit plugs into the AVP via optical and all the settings get changed via the AVP. So he got the distance correct because when we measured for the distance for each speaker.The subs working as one were measured as one and the distance setting and level settings were correct.just to give you an idea when I did apply the HAA settings to 2SP mix the second attempt and the outcome was bad i also changed the distance and level to match what i had i before and it did not work.
For some reason working as one works better.BTW I read the article isn't Sub pos detirmined on the room environment? Another thing does it fill the dead spots in other lis pos? My sub pos's actually do I sat in each seating pos and you could hear the bass just as perfect as the main lis pos.

i remember with the A1XVA pre HAA days and i had two sub on on the front like your figure one and when watching twister back then to show a family friend I made them sit in a lis pos and I sat on the far side and the bass was very low in that pos.
Find out what Sencore device they are using. I have an SP495 in my bag of test tools.

Sub position is only predictable in rectangular rooms. Most people don't have a perfect rectangle/square room so the room calculators become somewhat useless as a result. Without good measurement gear and understanding how the room behaves its a crap shoot which is why we have several articles on the topic to help people properly position thier subs.

2 subs up front can work very well in long rooms, especially if EQ'ed properly. In my setup, I have 2 subs up front, 1 on the left side (mid wall) and one on the back left wall. The 4 subs are EQ'ed by Audyseey Pro processor with customized curve editing that I tweaked to yield +-5dB from 12Hz to 200 Hz across all of my 5 theater chairs.

I used 3spk mix mode treating the front 2 subs independently and the side/rear sub as one SUPER sub.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Find out what Sencore device they are using. I have an SP495 in my bag of test tools.

Sub position is only predictable in rectangular rooms. Most people don't have a perfect rectangle/square room so the room calculators become somewhat useless as a result. Without good measurement gear and understanding how the room behaves its a crap shoot which is why we have several articles on the topic to help people properly position thier subs.

2 subs up front can work very well in long rooms, especially if EQ'ed properly. In my setup, I have 2 subs up front, 1 on the left side (mid wall) and one on the back left wall. The 4 subs are EQ'ed by Audyseey Pro processor with customized curve editing that I tweaked to yield +-5dB from 12Hz to 200 Hz across all of my 5 theater chairs.

I used 3spk mix mode treating the front 2 subs independently and the side/rear sub as one SUPER sub.
I have the one on the front and the other mid wall.For some reason he put mine in the centre but it works. My room is smaller than yours though, have to admit i really don't know why it works that way but it does.I noticed you also used the Audyssey pro kit with curve editing and I guess that worked a treat.Without that pro and curve editor would you have still be happy with the AVP result? Wish we could get our hands on the pro kit but our european models don't have that access.I will find out what sencore he used, he actually had two one did the room readings the other showed the graph of the room peaks and nulls.Im still trying to understand how it all works so don't get me wrong im far from being anywhere in near you guys in the understanding how it all works, still learning. How my subs are setup at the moment is sounds the tightest they have ever sounded.Just curiuos do you suggest for me to move my centre sub opposite my other one on the mid wall(right hand side)

Please have a look and happy for you offer any ideas, at the moment it works perfect.Room is treated.

happy to have your input mate.

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
Gene he uses a SurroundPro Digital Audio Generator looks very similar to DAG5161 and a SP295C SoundPro Audio Analyzer Contractor Version. They look very simialr to both of these units.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have the one on the front and the other mid wall.For some reason he put mine in the centre but it works. My room is smaller than yours though, have to admit i really don't know why it works that way but it does.I noticed you also used the Audyssey pro kit with curve editing and I guess that worked a treat.Without that pro and curve editor would you have still be happy with the AVP result? Wish we could get our hands on the pro kit but our european models don't have that access.I will find out what sencore he used, he actually had two one did the room readings the other showed the graph of the room peaks and nulls.Im still trying to understand how it all works so don't get me wrong im far from being anywhere in near you guys in the understanding how it all works, still learning. How my subs are setup at the moment is sounds the tightest they have ever sounded.Just curiuos do you suggest for me to move my centre sub opposite my other one on the mid wall(right hand side)

Please have a look and happy for you offer any ideas, at the moment it works perfect.Room is treated.
If you're happy with your current calibration, don't mess with it. I really can't make any recommendations without seeing a room layout diagram. This should also be taken to a different thread so we can keep this one on topic relating to the AVP.

Gene he uses a SurroundPro Digital Audio Generator looks very similar to DAG5161 and a SP295C SoundPro Audio Analyzer Contractor Version. They look very simialr to both of these units.
I am not familiar with the DAG unit but I will take a look. The Sp295C is a bit dated but does 1/12th octave resolution which is good enough to properly calibrate your bass response.

gimp

gimp

Enthusiast
All;

I am experiencing drop outs for Net Radio with ethernet connection. It loads to 100%, I get music then a few seconds later it drops down. I don't believe my connection is the issue since I am using the same one for internet and it works fine.

I tried power cycling my AVP and it made no difference.

I put an email into Denon but was wondering if any other AVP users had the same issue?
After upgrading my AVP firmware for the first time this past week, I began noticing a similar problem with streaming music. Prior to the upgrade, my early production AVP had the factory firmware. After the fw upgrade, it immediately buffers to 100%, plays seven seconds, then the % drops to 0, 50 or 70, and almost instantly climbs back to 100%. The other day this was accomanpanied with an audio dropout. Today, I'm not hearing any audio dropout. I did not have the problem prior to the firmware upgrade.

I checked the internet radio for a few minutes and did not have any dropouts.

My AVP is connected via CAT6 cable to my gigabit network. My internet connection is 6MB DSL.

I wonder if the fw upgrade introduced a problem?

J

johnalgo

Audiophyte
More on Setup

Great and thorough review. I wish it had been posted a couple of months earlier: discovering the proper settings takes lots of time.

A couple of notes:
1. If you have more than one monitor, and the monitor select control is set to “Auto,” the processor adjusts the video signal so it can be shown on the less capable display. This can be a problem if one of the displays can handle 1080p24 and the other cannot. The solution is to always manually select the 1080p24 capable display using the M.Sel control just below the screen on the large remote.

2. The unit contains a high quality phono preamp for high output cartridges. Low output cartridges can be used with a step up transformer.

3. The Audessey PRO setup (done by a technician) is well worth the money. The setup is more rationale (main channels are set to 0 db) and the sound is much better—smoother, more precise imaging, and much tighter bass. Cost is $175 for a license plus whatever the technician charges for a home visit.

4. I’ve seen several comments about poor audio via HDMI inputs. This is certainly not the case with this unit, at least when used with the matching Denon 2500BTCI and the Oppo 980. Audio (CD and DVD from the Denon, SACD and DVD Audio from the Oppo) via the HDMI inputs is superb—better, for example, than the sound of the highest end units from Sony (via coax inputs to a Lexicon processor).

5. Audio from analog inputs (and perhaps from coax digital inputs) sometimes cuts out after about 5 minutes. The solution is to turn on a monitor before selecting an analog input. If the unit does cut out (that is, you forgot to turn on the monitor), the only solution I have found is to turn the processor off, let a sit for a minute or two, and restart it with a monitor on.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Net Radio Issue

All;

Tonight net radio was acting up again on my AVP so I tested it on my Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver and it worked just fine. It appears to be a Denon issue and I will ping them again to see what they recommend.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Transformers Used

Does the PAO-A1HDCI have Torroidal Transformers ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does the PAO-A1HDCI have Torroidal Transformers ?
That is a darn good question!

I have never even thought about that!

I mean both the Denon 5308 and AVP-A1HDCI have toroidal transformers, but I have yet to see any mention of this on the POA-A1HDCI!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
It must be a secret, that if we knew they'd have to kill us!:eek:
That is a darn good question!

I have never even thought about that!

I mean both the Denon 5308 and AVP-A1HDCI have toroidal transformers, but I have yet to see any mention of this on the POA-A1HDCI!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I mosied over to the Denon website. They do not have a green check by torroidal transformer. They are probably using elcore transformers.;)
It must be a secret, that if we knew they'd have to kill us!:eek:

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
Hi everyone,

I want to invite any AVP/POA owners who has not yet joined our Wiki, to please come on over and join up.:) So far we have 47 members and are growing weekly. A lot of new content has been added to the site, and all new additions are welcome. So if you're an AVP or AVP/POA owner please feel free to join and start sharing your knowledge.;)

Just click on the AVP/POA Wiki signature at the bottom of this post.

Seth

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I mosied over to the Denon website. They do not have a green check by torroidal transformer. They are probably using e-core transformers.;)
One of the advantages of using an e-core transformer is there would be less inrush current as with a torroidal design. With 10 channels the POA-A1HDCI would have probbably had a loud thumb when power up from off. The added space and extra shielding (weight) required of an e-core transformer would not be a problem as this is Dennon's no corners cut amp. This is my SWAG anyway.:)

Seth V

Seth V

Audioholic
The Denon AVP-A1HDCI wins CEDIA Manufacturers' Excellence Award!

Just wanted to share this cool news.:) There were only 10 of these awards given and the AVP was one of them. You can read more about this here.

Seth

Franin

Franin

Full Audioholic
The Denon AVP-A1HDCI wins CEDIA Manufacturers' Excellence Award!

Just wanted to share this cool news.:) There were only 10 of these awards given and the AVP was one of them. You can read more about this here.

Seth
Thats good to Hear.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis