Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'll play with it some more this weekend and post back the firmware installed and maybe we can "figger it out". I just assumed I have the latest FW since it is a new unit - I guess I could have an "old stock" unit but I will be very disappointed with ONE CALL if that turns out to be true.
\

You're hardware was manufacturers months before you actually purchased it so you likely do NOT have the latest FW. That being said, I'm not sure I would update since those of us that did no longer have proper bass levels for SACD. This kills me playing my entire multi-channel SACD collection of Genesis. Luckily my other two systems using Yamaha and Marantz receivers don't have this SACD issue so I play them there for now. God I am spoiled :D

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
I tried to check the firmware again today and used a hardwired ethernet but the thing still kept reporting back "Connection Failed". I am sure the ethernet cable works as does the network as it is the same one I use for the TIVO. I even plugged it back into the TIVO right after and it tested fine.

This is the same thing that was happening with the WIFI too.

I checked the network settings on the AVP while it was plugged in and it showed all was OK with the wired connection.

I also tried putting in the Serial Number on Denon's website and it reported back that the serial number is invalid. I checked and verified the 10 digit number on the unit and the shipping box were the same.

Not sure what is happening here. I guess I will have to call Denon on Tuesday to get that sorted out but if anyone can shed light on this, I would appreciate it.

I did play with the SACD and DVD-Audio again last night and found that the GUI PARAMETERS menu changes even from disc to disc. For example, an SACD that is only STEREO will show different parameters than a multichannel SACD. Also, I have an SACD of the ZOMBIES that is only 2 channel with no subwoofer and the GUI even recognized this change. So, what that Parameters menu must be doing is simply parroting back what the unit is sensing on playback of sources and allows you to do some further customization that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do on another AVR or whatever that didn't have this flexibility - An interactive GUI if you will.

Also, if you turn off the Audyssey it seems to show a different menu.

BTW, I don't know if I did the Audyssey setup wrong but my system sounded horrible when using the Audyssey EQ - Even using the Flat setting. I wound up turning it off. When on, it sounded like one of those matrix stereo deals on old TV sets where the sound was shrill and tin can sounding. I probably have something wrong but couldn't figure out what. Sounds great with if off so I'll leave it off..........;)

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
You're hardware was manufacturers months before you actually purchased it so you likely do NOT have the latest FW.
I still haven't fixed the ethernet issue on my unit so I am unable to check the Denon server to see if there are any firmware updates available but I did find a way to check the unit's current firmware version on the AVSFORUM site (DIMMER+STATUS).

Here are the codes from my unit - Is your firmware later revision codes? Do you have the same GUI revision codes?

Main A1.87
Sub 1.15
Main ROMA1.87
MAIN PLD00.25
DSP1 36.6
DSP2 37.17
DSP3 38.13
GUI A080719A
GUI PRG 00007621
GUI DAT10003022
REALTA 08030A
HDMIA PLD00.20
DGTL FPGA 01.16
VIDEO PLD00.10
HDSDK ACE_HDSDK11H5-1
HDDSP DRI-352-00
1751DF-CMRL-V012

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My AVP-A1 has not arrived yet, but I tried it out on my AVR-5308 by updating the latest firmware last night, which took like 2.5 hrs to complete.

After that I hooked up my DBP-4010UD to my AVR5308 via HDMI + Denon Link 4.

Then I played SACDs.

The GUI of the AVR-5308 did not change at all during playback of SACD.

However, the bass output was fine using the Denon Link.

One stupid thing about the $2,000 4010UD is that you can only get DSD SACD via the Denon Link!:eek:

For a $2K player, you cannot even get DSD SACD via HDMI!:eek: You have to use the Denon Link to get DSD SACD.

A $300 Oppo player can do DSD SACD via HDMI.:eek:

So I guess with the latest firmware, the DSD SACD 5.1/2.0 bass is fine with Denon Link.

gimp

gimp

Enthusiast
I tried to check the firmware again today and used a hardwired ethernet but the thing still kept reporting back "Connection Failed". I am sure the ethernet cable works as does the network as it is the same one I use for the TIVO. I even plugged it back into the TIVO right after and it tested fine.

This is the same thing that was happening with the WIFI too.

I checked the network settings on the AVP while it was plugged in and it showed all was OK with the wired connection.

I also tried putting in the Serial Number on Denon's website and it reported back that the serial number is invalid. I checked and verified the 10 digit number on the unit and the shipping box were the same.

Not sure what is happening here. I guess I will have to call Denon on Tuesday to get that sorted out but if anyone can shed light on this, I would appreciate it.

I did play with the SACD and DVD-Audio again last night and found that the GUI PARAMETERS menu changes even from disc to disc. For example, an SACD that is only STEREO will show different parameters than a multichannel SACD. Also, I have an SACD of the ZOMBIES that is only 2 channel with no subwoofer and the GUI even recognized this change. So, what that Parameters menu must be doing is simply parroting back what the unit is sensing on playback of sources and allows you to do some further customization that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do on another AVR or whatever that didn't have this flexibility - An interactive GUI if you will.

Also, if you turn off the Audyssey it seems to show a different menu.

BTW, I don't know if I did the Audyssey setup wrong but my system sounded horrible when using the Audyssey EQ - Even using the Flat setting. I wound up turning it off. When on, it sounded like one of those matrix stereo deals on old TV sets where the sound was shrill and tin can sounding. I probably have something wrong but couldn't figure out what. Sounds great with if off so I'll leave it off..........;)
I was able to resolve my network problems by manually assigning the IP for my AVP.

At the GUI menu "Manual Setup" - "Network Setup" - "Detail" setting, set "DHCP" to "OFF" and enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
The GUI of the AVR-5308 did not change at all during playback of SACD.
Not only does my GUI change for the surround parameters, it also changes for the surround mode. I did some surfing on the AVSFORUM site and I think it is supposed to behave this way judging by some of the other posts there.

One stupid thing about the $2,000 4010UD is that you can only get DSD SACD via the Denon Link!:eek:

For a $2K player, you cannot even get DSD SACD via HDMI!:eek: You have to use the Denon Link to get DSD SACD.
I actually think the sound quality via DLink is much better than HDMI but my player is the 5910CI so there might be differences there. I had the 5910CI hooked up to my AVR3806 and it was marvelous; Hooked up to the AVP, it is spectacular.

I was able to resolve my network problems by manually assigning the IP for my AVP.

At the GUI menu "Manual Setup" - "Network Setup" - "Detail" setting, set "DHCP" to "OFF" and enter the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, primary DNS and secondary DNS.
Yeah, I tried that again last night and still couldn't get it to work. Even did a thermonuclear power off and back on to no avail. I emailed Denon today asking for help.

gimp

gimp

Enthusiast
Not only does my GUI change for the surround parameters, it also changes for the surround mode. I did some surfing on the AVSFORUM site and I think it is supposed to behave this way judging by some of the other posts there.
From p.50 of the manual: The adjustable parameters differ for the different surround modes. However, like others I'm not seeing your SUBWOOFER GUI.

Yeah, I tried that again last night and still couldn't get it to work. Even did a thermonuclear power off and back on to no avail. I emailed Denon today asking for help.
Given all the problems you are having, I'd do a reset and start over. See p.72, "Resetting the Microprocessor""

1) Turn off the power using POWER.
2) Press POWER while simultaneously pressing STANDARD and HOME THX CINEMA.
3) Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two buttons.

O

Orrin

Audiophyte
New AVP-A1HDCI

If I buy a new AVP-A1HDCI(A) today and apply all of the free updates/upgrades that are presently available from Denon what might I be missing? What useful new technologies or "gizmos" will this AVP be lacking if any? Is it significant that this model is 2 1/2 years old?

If I purchase an AVP-A1HDCI will the free upgrades take it to the A1HDCI(A) level? Is new hardware required? Or, is there a price-tag for this?

I am considering an upgrade from a 2002 AVR-5803 and this is just a broad "test balloon" question. I know that I will also need amps. That is not part of the question.

Last edited:
W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago. In my research, the only item I noticed missing of importance to "ME" was HDMI 1.4 / 1.4a because I do have a 3D TV - I did have an email with a tech support guy at Denon and he told me they were coming out with an update/upgrade for the unit for this feature early next year. Don't know if it will cost extra or be part of a firmware update - Will have to wait and see. Also, since it hasn't even been announced, you take it on faith that it will come about.......

Others have mentioned wanting Audyssey DSX and AL32 ........ For me, I don't even use the Audyssey so that was a non-issue but the AL32 would be a nice touch.

O

Orrin

Audiophyte
The only item on which I have seen the AL32 is the DVD-A1UDCI. AL32 looks highly desirable but I am unclear as to what all it will apply to? Does it (or AL24 for that matter) upgrade all audio signals including: SACD? Restored MP3, WMA? Or, is it only for CDs? So, is the AL32/AL24 a universally applied technology or does it only apply to certain source material? I wonder if the A1HDCI will be upgraded with AL32 and Audyssey DSX? And, would those be software updates?

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
The only item on which I have seen the AL32 is the DVD-A1UDCI. AL32 looks highly desirable but I am unclear as to what all it will apply to? Does it (or AL24 for that matter) upgrade all audio signals including: SACD? Restored MP3, WMA? Or, is it only for CDs? So, is the AL32/AL24 a universally applied technology or does it only apply to certain source material? I wonder if the A1HDCI will be upgraded with AL32 and Audyssey DSX? And, would those be software updates?
AL24/AL32 are Denon's proprietary trade names for their method of upgrading 16 bits to 24 bits (and 32 bits). AL24 has been around a number of years. AL32 is fairly new. I haven't heard AL32 so I can't tell you if it sounds any better or would even be noticeable. Some say it isn't a big deal. You can look over Denon's website and do a google search on the terms to get more info.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, today I finally got my brand new AVP-A1HDCI(A) from my local dealer.:D

Unlike the "brand new" AVP-A1 that came from Onecall, this one LOOKS truly brand new - no finger prints, no smudges, no scratches.:D

I haven't hooked up my DBP-4010UD to it yet, but I did some listening using the USB (WAV files) and it sounded fantastic.:D

And I bought it knowing full well it does not have HDMI1.4a because I could not care any less for 3D video.:D

I also bought the DBP-4010UD knowing it does not have HDMI1.4a.:D

I can't stand 3D video.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Well, today I finally got my brand new AVP-A1HDCI(A) from my local dealer.:D

Unlike the "brand new" AVP-A1 that came from Onecall, this one LOOKS truly brand new - no finger prints, no smudges, no scratches.:D
Just curious .......... Have you hooked it up and had a chance to check which firmware version your unit is using and if you get the same GUI screens I reported earlier?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just curious .......... Have you hooked it up and had a chance to check which firmware version your unit is using and if you get the same GUI screens I reported earlier?
I can tell it has the latest firmware because upon powerup, it reads "Denon Link 4", which is NOT available in the original AVP-A1 or previous firmware.

After the lastest firmware (I did it ~ 3 days ago) my AVR-5308 also says the exact same thing upon powerup: "Denon Link 4".

I will check the GUI when I get a chance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, did you ever get an explanation from Denon regarding the "Invalid Serial Number"?

If it makes you feel any better, I also typed in the serial number of my AVP on the Denon website and it also said "Invalid Number".

So I called the Denon Customer Service and inquired. They said a lot of the newer components have that "issue", but it's nothing to worry about. It does not mean anything. The website is not 100% updated in regards to the all the serial numbers out there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I tried it.

The GUI on the AVP does change on the Audio Surround Sound Parameter between DVDA & DSD SACD.

However, I don't see where it allows you to pick Subwoofer YES or NO on the Surround Sound Parameter.

Regardless, the bass output is awesome for both DSD SACD 5.1 & DVD-A 5.1. I listened to both the Sheryl Crow DVD-A & DSD SACD. They sounded great; the bass LFE output was great on both.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Okay, I tried it.

The GUI on the AVP does change on the Audio Surround Sound Parameter between DVDA & DSD SACD.

However, I don't see where it allows you to pick Subwoofer YES or NO on the Surround Sound Parameter.

Regardless, the bass output is awesome for both DSD SACD 5.1 & DVD-A 5.1. I listened to both the Sheryl Crow DVD-A & DSD SACD. They sounded great; the bass LFE output was great on both.
Do you know how to check your firmware revision? (DIMMER + STATUS+PWR routine)

Curious if they match mine:

Main A1.87
Sub 1.15
Main ROMA1.87
MAIN PLD00.25
DSP1 36.6
DSP2 37.17
DSP3 38.13
GUI A080719A
GUI PRG 00007621
GUI DAT10003022
REALTA 08030A
HDMIA PLD00.20
DGTL FPGA 01.16
VIDEO PLD00.10
HDSDK ACE_HDSDK11H5-1
HDDSP DRI-352-00
1751DF-CMRL-V012

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do you know how to check your firmware revision? (DIMMER + STATUS+PWR routine)

Curious if they match mine:

Main A1.87
Sub 1.15
Main ROMA1.87
MAIN PLD00.25
DSP1 36.6
DSP2 37.17
DSP3 38.13
GUI A080719A
GUI PRG 00007621
GUI DAT10003022
REALTA 08030A
HDMIA PLD00.20
DGTL FPGA 01.16
VIDEO PLD00.10
HDSDK ACE_HDSDK11H5-1
HDDSP DRI-352-00
1751DF-CMRL-V012
Okay, I confirmed it. All those numbers are EXACT.

It also has some Ehternet stuffs (like 4 or 5 of them) that you did not include.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Okay, I confirmed it. All those numbers are EXACT.

It also has some Ehternet stuffs (like 4 or 5 of them) that you did not include.
Yeah - I left off all the ethernet numbers figuring they were not essential to the question and didn't feel like writing them all down.......;)

One last question: Have you been able to CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE via the GUI or WEBCONTROL to see if this is the latest firmware?

I am still having issues being able to do this so I haven't been able to confirm my firmware (and yours) is the latest available. This might help Gene in his quest to find out what is going on with his unit and the lack of bass. I think you can check for the firmware without actually updating (in case you might be concerned about loading a later firmware that might be problematic).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah - I left off all the ethernet numbers figuring they were not essential to the question and didn't feel like writing them all down.......;)

One last question: Have you been able to CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE via the GUI or WEBCONTROL to see if this is the latest firmware?

I am still having issues being able to do this so I haven't been able to confirm my firmware (and yours) is the latest available. This might help Gene in his quest to find out what is going on with his unit and the lack of bass. I think you can check for the firmware without actually updating (in case you might be concerned about loading a later firmware that might be problematic).
I'll check that out after work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis