Denon AVP-A1HDCI / POA-A1HDCI Review Support Thread

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Will can you list the exact path from hitting the Menu button on how to get there? All I see is in Parameters is SB CH Out On/Off, LFE level. I also checked and have the latest firmware so this is quite puzzling that your interface is different. thanks.
Gene,

When playing an SACD...........I hit the onscreen display GUI menu.........

Main Menu>Parameters>Audio>Surround Parameters>SUB>ON

On mine, the PARAMETERS option is between the Surround Mode and Auto Setup options on the main menu screen.

I'll see if I can get a couple of screenshots tonight and post tomorrow. When not playing an SACD, it reverted back to a different GUI menu altogether.

Do you have the June 2009 update that added DLINK 4 and Audyssey Dynamic Volume? Are you using the Denon DLINK?

With the Audyssey Dynamic Volume and DLINK 4 I am sure they must have changed the GUI at that time but that was over a year ago when that update was made available on the Denon website. My unit had a big blue sticker on the front proudly announcing it had the Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature installed.

Dunno - very complex piece of gear. I do know from experience that multichannel formats and bass management are a challenge to keep straight in my 54 year old brain - it took me a long time to get my AVR 3806 setup just way I liked it and here I go and make a change to an even more complex piece. :rolleyes: I was very surprised when I found that menu item stuck where it was - I thought I had already set the sub up in the speaker menus. It seems an odd place to put it.

Will

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

When playing an SACD...........I hit the onscreen display GUI menu.........

Main Menu>Parameters>Audio>Surround Parameters>SUB>ON

On mine, the PARAMETERS option is between the Surround Mode and Auto Setup options on the main menu screen.

I'll see if I can get a couple of screenshots tonight and post tomorrow. When not playing an SACD, it reverted back to a different GUI menu altogether.

Do you have the June 2009 update that added DLINK 4 and Audyssey Dynamic Volume? Are you using the Denon DLINK?

With the Audyssey Dynamic Volume and DLINK 4 I am sure they must have changed the GUI at that time but that was over a year ago when that update was made available on the Denon website. My unit had a big blue sticker on the front proudly announcing it had the Audyssey Dynamic Volume feature installed.

Dunno - very complex piece of gear. I do know from experience that multichannel formats and bass management are a challenge to keep straight in my 54 year old brain - it took me a long time to get my AVR 3806 setup just way I liked it and here I go and make a change to an even more complex piece. I was very surprised when I found that menu item stuck where it was - I thought I had already set the sub up in the speaker menus. It seems an odd place to put it.

Will
My menu gives no option for sub on/off like yours. I have the latest FW with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, etc.

Very bizarre.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Gene,

I have some screen shots I can upload but I don't see a way to attach them or upload them - Is this feature disabled for newbies like me? I tried the POST REPLY but there was no manage attachments area that I could see. The was a link at the top for a URL put no way to attach and upload.

Will

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Will;

I upped your post count so you should now be able to add attachments. There is an attachment tab below the text field where you can do so. thanks.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Here are the screen shots of the menus I get while playing an SACD via DLINK (Denon 5910CI). I was limited to uploading only 5 images so I'll post the rest of them in another post.

Attachments

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
The first 2 photos below are the menus I get while playing a DVD-Audio via DLINK with 5910CI. The next photo is the menu I get when the 5910CI is OFF. The last photo is the menu I get with the DVR-1 input selected which I am using with my TIVO PREMIERE.

As you can see, for each instance, the menu is slightly different.

Playing Sherlock Holmes here, if your unit has the same GUI and internal hardware as mine, we should be able to figure out the difference between your configuration and mine and get the two to be identical. If, however, my unit, being a later build, may be somewhat different, then I would have to say you may have a problem or conflict with your unit as you originally posted either as a result of the firmware update or a conflict with something in the configuration that is not allowing your GUI to operate properly. Just my guess. This unit is very complex and has some oddities. I already posted an issue on the AVSFORUM regarding the TV/CBL input and HDMI Control (CEC) so it wouldn't surprise me that there are other "issues" out there.

Let me know if I can help you troubleshoot. I love a good puzzle. :D

BTW, my unit model number is AVP-A1HDACI (There is a large A marked on the box). Denon shows an AVP-A1HDCI (A) so I am guessing mine would be the same although the A is not in the same spot in the alpha numeric sequence.

Attachments

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Will;

My AVP screens are always the same like yours when you are using DVD-A regardless of what type of disc I am using. There is no option to turn on/off the sub. Very strange. Thanks for posting.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Are you in the DIRECT Multi Channel Mode via DLINK when playing SACD?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Will;

It doesn't matter if I am in Direct Multi Channel or PLIIx Music mode, the menu option doesn't change on my unit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I get my new AVP-A1HDCI & DBP-4010UDCI and will have to do this to confirm!

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Will;

It doesn't matter if I am in Direct Multi Channel or PLIIx Music mode, the menu option doesn't change on my unit.
Hmmm. I wonder if anyone else can duplicate the menus like I am seeing on my unit. I did see a note in the owner's manual addendum that did state that the parameters options will change depending on the surround mode. If yours is not changing, it does sound like a problem. Hopefully Denon will respond. Sorry it didn't fix your unit but maybe it does give you some more ammo when you finally hear back from Denon. I wonder if a last resort reset would be in order?

I guess I will not update the firmware on my unit lest it become like yours :D

(Sorry - I couldn't resist.)

Will

Bradh

Bradh

Enthusiast
I will look tonight. Gene are you playing your SACD's (DSD)?

Brad

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Will;

I thought you had the latest firmware? That may be why we have differences. I suggest you update so you can join in my SACD bass misery ;) Denon has the responsiveness of a 6 week old Cadaver when I try to followup about this problem so its unlikely anything I show them will have an affect. More owners need to email them about this problem.

Brad, yes I am running SACD as DSD according to the source info when I check it.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
Will;

I thought you had the latest firmware?
My unit is brand new - just got it a week ago today. Since it is new, I can only assume it is a fresh unit with the latest/last update. I bought it from ONE CALL as a brand new unit. The box had not been previously opened or tampered with. I did try to check the firmware via Denon's website but when I put in the serial number, it came back as invalid. I am in contact with ONE CALL to fix this not only for firmware updates but also to make sure my warranty is activated/registered correctly.

I guess it is possible that I have a LATER firmware than you have but if this is the case wouldn't it be available to all? Maybe I have a beta version of a newer firmware????? Dunno. BUT the owner's manual addendum dated 2009 clearly states the surround parameters GUI does change for surround modes so I suspect mine is working the way it was designed and yours is not. :eek:

Last edited:
Bradh

Bradh

Enthusiast
Will;

I thought you had the latest firmware? That may be why we have differences. I suggest you update so you can join in my SACD bass misery ;) Denon has the responsiveness of a 6 week old Cadaver when I try to followup about this problem so its unlikely anything I show them will have an affect. More owners need to email them about this problem.

Brad, yes I am running SACD as DSD according to the source info when I check it.

I notice less Bass when playing SACD's (DSD). Again I will look tonight and see. I am sure it will be the same as Gene's. I do have the lasted firmware.

Brad

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My unit is brand new - just got it a week ago today. Since it is new, I can only assume it is a fresh unit with the latest/last update. I bought it from ONE CALL as a brand new unit. The box had not been previously opened or tampered with. I did try to check the firmware via Denon's website but when I put in the serial number, it came back as invalid. I am in contact with ONE CALL to fix this not only for firmware updates but also to make sure my warranty is activated/registered correctly.

I guess it is possible that I have a LATER firmware than you have but if this is the case wouldn't it be available to all? Maybe I have a beta version of a newer firmware????? Dunno. BUT the owner's manual addendum dated 2009 clearly states the surround parameters GUI does change for surround modes so I suspect mine is working the way it was designed and yours is not.
You should be able to check the Denon server to see if you have the latest FW. Simply connect an ethernet cable and setup the network. Then go into the option area and select "check for latest FW" or something like that.

I don't have that addendum as I was the first kid on the block with the AVP :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My unit is brand new - just got it a week ago today. Since it is new, I can only assume it is a fresh unit with the latest/last update. I bought it from ONE CALL as a brand new unit. The box had not been previously opened or tampered with. I did try to check the firmware via Denon's website but when I put in the serial number, it came back as invalid.
I bought a "brand new" unit from Onecall as well. When I opened it, there was a sticker that said something like "This unit as been updated for Dynamic Volume".

And then I saw some scratches on the unit!:eek:

So I ended up sending it back to Onecall for a full refund.

I placed another order with my local HT store for a new AVP-A1, and they said it would take ~ 2 or 3 weeks to get the AVP-A1 from Denon.

W

WillH

Audioholic Intern
You should be able to check the Denon server to see if you have the latest FW. Simply connect an ethernet cable and setup the network. Then go into the option area and select "check for latest FW" or something like that.
I don't have a dedicated ethernet cable in my rack to spare and I haven't had time to swap cables or add a switch to actually check for the FW update. When I first setup the unit, I was using the WIFI but it kept bugging out when I tried to check for the update. I then saw the note in the manual about using a wired ethernet for FW. Would have thought the WIFI would have worked just to check though.

(I actually read your post about the bass issue before I even got my unit so I have not been in a hurry to check or update the firmware.)

I'll play with it some more this weekend and post back the firmware installed and maybe we can "figger it out". I just assumed I have the latest FW since it is a new unit - I guess I could have an "old stock" unit but I will be very disappointed with ONE CALL if that turns out to be true.

Bradh

Bradh

Enthusiast
Confirmed. No option like Will sees with the latest firmware. I notice a difference in bass levels when I change from DSD to PCM. PCM has more bass. I have tested with subs on. They ran the ST's large no subs same results. I used Dire Straits (So far away & One world).

Brad

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis