Denon AVC-8500H is it D.O.A. or a Bug in the software?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Its been hyped as the most powerful AVR in the world with 13.1 and extended 5 year warranty wow is that for when micro-processing chips fail just within few hours of use brand new out of the box or for bugs that Denon and Marntz engineers already know about but expect consumers to put up with it. Its got more bugs than Windows pc.

3.jpg

Even my cat Magic seems uncertain about the Denon AVR-X8500H?

4.jpg

All is in brand new inside the box.

Denon and Marnatz share their ideas or what ever it is? As the menus have more less same layouts with small differences.

It took least 2 hours to get the Denon fitted into place on the rack form undoing the leads on the Marnatz then placing the Denon on top of the rack and connecting the leads up one by one to make sure I don't miss-connect the leads.

6.jpg

Undid all the leads on the Marnatz SR6012

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sort of side by side or view of both Marnatz, Denon as it feels like sticking another Onkyo back up on top of the rack.

10.jpg

Almost finished connecting up the leads to RCA pre-outputs and HDMI leads all in place.

After a successful start up as these AVR's today really rely on software like computers only I think they are lot less sophisticated with far too many wrongs than goods with them and no not my opinion my personal, operating using it has lead me to believe this.

11.jpg

Denon switched ON and goes into usual start up mode just like the Marnatz SR6012 does.

So when all looked like it was running well with DVD in the Panasonic UHD 4K player, playing, The Peacemaker (1997) and the sound sounding okay thou only presently set with x4 overhead surrounds even thou I was go to get the Height ceiling channels wired up later in the night, which is now and I'll delay it till Thursday, when the replacement Denon AVR-X8500H arrives and that I have the present one boxed up and handed over to the courier to be taken back to retailer and sent back to Denon so those eggheads can figure how or want went wrong with it, (during a firmware update that I was installing for that dts / imax enhance).

13.jpg

14.jpg

I spent few times on the phone with my usual diplomatic approach - the swearing as I had to "keep clam" :D the dealer even gave me a direct phone number for Denon/Marnatz and I hate computer voices on the phone and the list of options and just lost my cool and started swearing even thou it was non-human voice on recorded system I just HUNG UP! Called the dealer shop again and arranged to have another one brand new sent to me while the other is collected same day from the courier.

15.jpg

Green is the colour for EVIL. This must be a Demon or a Lemon?

To be continued as the page run out of picture image space.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
There is no place like home to RANT about it and Vent it.

Green is the colour sign for Demon Evil or maybe its one of few hundreds off the bad batch that just so happens to be a Denon it rimes with Lemon isn't that strange?
15.jpg

16.jpg

Green is like having a Lime stuck in my mouth too sharp.

Once the AVR was in the firmware update mode with AVR switched to sort of off standby while I watched the % percentage meter and time counting down to full 100% the AVR automatically switched to OFF as sign of firmware completed and no user can switch it back ON. OMG! Green screen? That is not a good sign at all.

I have read some cynical people posts and I have to agree. Is it Denon or Demon as Green is the colour for Evil. I'm not, LMAO amused at all. Yeah I don't stand to lose anything this could be a bad point against Denon and Marnatz as I have noticed occasional strange glitches with HDMI on the Marantz SR6012 (when it switching format video mode) I often see a colour of purple or may be other colours then the picture soon comes ON as normal but it is a serious bug issue that can quite possible get far worse maybe in short time or develop over the years just when the 5 year warranty expires.

The Denon is laying on the floor with all the packing on top of it the box in the bedroom and will be boxed up on Thursday ready to be handed over.

It was pain in the rear surround to put the Marnatz SR6012 back in place and connect it all back up again and run pre-checks that all the speakers are running as normal and that the HDMI leads are all connected back in the proper place.

Big bottom line here. Looking at AVS forum and seeing picture of what the Denon looks like inside I have to say for the price RIP OFF, plain DAYLIGHT ROBBERY for a few common small amplifiers of big deal and few PCB boards very few compared to what was inside my Onkyo TX-SR875 which weighs about same as the Denon, a back-breaker to pick up if not bending the legs to properly pick it up.

I could buy a Windows pc that has a few more PCB boards and won't have green screen with pixelation a typical software issue but on something that is brand new costing nearly, yeah I'd sooner keep the Marnatz and get a new windows pc.

17.jpg

Trying to restore to factory settings all looks normal on the AVR display screen but also there happens to be no direct HDMI signal now passing to the AVR the sound indicator and even the tried the pink noise on the AVR, Its Dead Jim!
dead jim.jpg

I don't know if the dts-imax enhanced is plagued with, electronic software Gremlin BUGS?

Not impressed with what dts-imax firmware update did. It must be dts-LIEMAX?

Reading some of the unsatisfied AVS members who seemed all hung up on imax only to feel like they have brought a lemon or LIMEMAX? A bit too sharp taste for me, LOL
:D

Oh well Wednesday in few hours which means Thursday seems really like less than 24 hrs away until this is resolved or if the same thing can happen twice with the firmware update? I shall be gritting my teeth and pulling that face, is this going to work or fail twice?

It may possibly be the HDMI like the, Apollo 13 cryo-tanks was already sent off to the moon as doomed spacecraft with a problem waiting to happen? I'm gonna be bit nervous when giving the OK to upload the firmware.

Oh yeah I read many of the posts though AVS and even tried restoring the factory default settings in hope the green screen issue with HDMI will be resolved no such success what so ever. Its not like hey what if I opened it up and unplugged the HDMI and started it up then shut it OFF then connected the HDMI and start it up again, would that have corrected the glitch? I doubt it thou maybe possiblly it would have I'll guess never know or have to wait until I get an answer from the retailer that Denon/Marnatz engineers located the BUG or wasn't bothered or asked to and just strip the HDMI board out and redo it for refurbishment or maybe a landfill site with Immersive LieMax Seagulls flying overhead. LOL
:D

I think its safe to say this isn't a future proof AVR nor are the others nor is the ones they have in cinemas LOL. Oh I miss the Glory days of 70mm not that crappy square shaped imax I mean LIEMAX I don't care what it is digital or 15 perf I think imax sound SUCKS and that regular 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo A and SR from 5 screen wide to baby boom to split surrounds is the better format and would rather have that delivered digitally encoded onto UHD 4K as there are many 70mm Dolby Stereo films I not seen heard when they played due to the local cinema never getting the prints that was often only resolved for London or other 70mm cinemas bit further away.

imax SUCKS plain and simply no iffs no buts and no debate about it. I want the 13.1 to listen to the Dolby Atmos with HEIGHT 1 HEIGHT 2 HEIGHT 3 HEIGHT 4 if necessary as from what I'm reading on AVS the Front Wide is matrix? Or Is it, Discrete Front Wide with certain present day Atmos film mixes or just matrix like how I was figuring it out with hearing phantom sound images in the surrounds that was also on the front left or right with certain films of the past I was listening too and that is going back before even, Audyssey DSX, came out with its Front Height, Front Wide a short time I believe and I know these people read the forums to get ideas or rather steal was ideas. Maybe I or others should be working for them but as long as I have good listening abilities REAL LIFE sound will never be surpassed with Dolby Atmos, auro-3D and certainly not dts-LIEMAX.

If all fails again this Thursday I can say that it will go into the CAT LITTER BOX, Oh I'll manage to fit in the LITTER BOX mark my words! Then it will be sent back for full refund and the finger to Denon, Marnatz I won't put up with this crap and I don't see why other consumers should but I guess the brainwashed masses that hold imax so dear close to their hearts will still embrace this LEMON!

Attachments

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I get sent this, Amazon echo dot, kinder like alexa, when I asked it for a blow-job :D all I see is glowing colours wow I get the same thing from LED coloured lighter at far less price than this piece of crap and crap belongs in the cat litter after Demon Denon offends me with a Denon Lemon AVR that fails in just few hours of use brand new out or the box. They can keep there free crap-dot.

47573695_10156689585710149_3859026955814830080_n.jpg

47573392_10156689596210149_4847931334493995008_n.jpg
47378488_10156689596325149_4682049930766843904_n.jpg

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Starting to get really p!ssed off now Thursday now seems like a month away if that replacement Demon Denon Lemon fails a second time its going into the Cat Litter. It better not fail on Thursday or else!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I'm gonna keep Roasting Denon and Marantz until the replacement Denon AVR-X8500H arrives on Thursday.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Oh dear, I am truly sorry for your pain Andy.:( Such a nice toy to have failed so spectacularly.

You, like myself, must have done that update on the 6012. You could be right there, maybe there is something in the Imax mode as we did not get that part. The Alexa and eARC were included.

Best of luck with the replacement tomorrow.:)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I'm not counting on it, after yesterday, and I may skip on that dts-LIEMAX upgrade since most already on AVS, think it sucks and not worth it. Besides I have few imax DVD on warner DVD in the days before imax slaughtered the Empire Leicester Square, into tiny dinky size video screen walls. You never let the imax-dog jump over the fence and crap on a famous cinema in the UK.

Secondly that dreadful LIEMAX bluray I have with tom cruise and only watched once and I even skipped though it few years ago. I may do a special and throw that in the Cat Litter, if any one wants tom cruise in a LIEMAX bluray they can have him after I have thrown it in the Cat Litter.

eARC looks like total rubbish and that ended up in the Cat Litter. If I wasn't drunk on orange juice and medication yesterday that Denon would have gone into the cat Litter box, yesterday.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully your replacement will arrive soon.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully your replacement will arrive soon.
why be sorry? I'm sorry for Denon as this is only gonna hurt the engineers and the companies name. They produce lemons and yes everyone produces lemons. AVR's are rubbish. I like to spend out on £2.7 grand of rubbish to prove a solid point. They are junk you can't easily open them up within 1 second and remove the faulty cards and replace them with better revision ones, no you have to waste time with these donkeys sending them the AVR and that is totally unacceptable.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Do you think the higher end ones are more likely to brick than the mid level ones? Or maybe certain year models? I see lots of happy 4400 owners on here. (I have a Yamaha though).

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I get sent this, Amazon echo dot, kinder like alexa, when I asked it for a blow-job :D all I see is glowing colours wow I get the same thing from LED coloured lighter at far less price than this piece of crap and crap belongs in the cat litter after Demon Denon offends me with a Denon Lemon AVR that fails in just few hours of use brand new out or the box. They can keep there free crap-dot.

View attachment 27078
View attachment 27079View attachment 27080
I think your cat is saying what's that damn dot doing in my crapper!!

Seriously though, this is very unfortunate. That's a lot of coin to spend for gear that doesn't work right. I'm sure there are folks here that appreciate your level of detail in documenting your experience with this receiver. 13 amp channels, video processing, audio processing, networking, etc, etc, is a lot to ask from one box. Receivers seem to work out well for the majority of folks who purchase them, but when this happens it's very frustrating. Hopefully you get a quick resolution and satisfaction whichever route you decide to take going forward.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Do you think the higher end ones are more likely to brick than the mid level ones? Or maybe certain year models? I see lots of happy 4400 owners on here. (I have a Yamaha though).
Why else am I using Dolby CP in my home and some of them cost less than family meal at fish n' chips restaurant and still working even for 29 years with a Dolby CP65.
The Denon is already outdated and will have another pure bullshit flagshit model next year, why so soon? What's the hurry Denon can't back up your pure bullshit future proof flagshit AVR huh?
That's my strong humble heart feeling on that.
I like to get a Dolby Stereo CP200 for the home cinema that is a gold star Rolls Royce classic superstar of cinema processor. I seen bits of them selling cheap that is module parts as its three part system with two separate power supplies. Why would I want something 40 years old becuase it looks far smarter and coler than that Denon Lemon sat in my home cinema on the floor right now, while I rest in bed till tomoorow I can't be asked t get today after the disgust with Denon's bragging pure bullshit 13.2, dead Lemon, yesterday.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
why be sorry? I'm sorry for Denon as this is only gonna hurt the engineers and the companies name. They produce lemons and yes everyone produces lemons. AVR's are rubbish. I like to spend out on £2.7 grand of rubbish to prove a solid point. They are junk you can't easily open them up within 1 second and remove the faulty cards and replace them with better revision ones, no you have to waste time with these donkeys sending them the AVR and that is totally unacceptable.
If you must have 13 channels, then the AVC-8500H is probably still a good choice as there aren't many reported failures and it may just be the firmware update causing your trouble. AVR may be junk by yours and especially TLGGuy's standard, the problem is, the alternative AVPs are only marginally better, could actually be worse due to their additional balanced circuitry. The amp section of AVRs rarely failed if given ample cooling.

I think 13 channel is great for Atmos, but I am going to stick with 11 channel in order to benefit from the super deals on the X4400/4500/4600....H. At $900 with a 3 year warranty, worst case scenario is $300 per year, that's 1/4 that of the Denon AVC and 1/5 (that's without adding the cost of a 13 channel amp) that of the Marantz AVP.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
You aren’t the first one to be unhappy with his/her expensive AVR. it happens far too frequently!

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I think your cat is saying what's that damn dot doing in my crapper!!

Seriously though, this is very unfortunate. That's a lot of coin to spend for gear that doesn't work right. I'm sure there are folks here that appreciate your level of detail in documenting your experience with this receiver. 13 amp channels, video processing, audio processing, networking, etc, etc, is a lot to ask from one box. Receivers seem to work out well for the majority of folks who purchase them, but when this happens it's very frustrating. Hopefully you get a quick resolution and satisfaction whichever route you decide to take going forward.
A lot to ask for one box you say. That now is a very strong good point!
Seeing pictures of what is inside it well lousy cheap amplifiers with some 4 fans underneath them. Is there a way to say disconnect the amplifers they will never be used in my room raising the noise floor level up to audible distracting level.

Now take that Marnatz AV8805 same deal 13.2 minus no amplifiers yet the price is DAYLIGHT ROBBERY! £3.2 grand, so what if it has XLR big deal XLR today is about as common as mud! They been around for decades.
What these AVR's all should have fitted is D25 that has the same balanced function and takes up far, far less space on the back of the AVR and will offer The Full Monty Dolby Atmos objects from these bed channels.

Yesterday I was so angry that I wanted to get a Marantz AV8805 from the retailer as I couldn't bare to wait 48 hrs for a replacement I felt angry that I just wanted to Roast Marnatz and Denon. I have vintage Marnatz amplifers little shy ober 40 years old still working. They have jaded sliders now that need replacement but wow lasted over 40 years and the crap they shovel out each year is laughable. budget model this and that and high end this and that, BULLSHIT! Unnecessary. Dolby labs didn't shovel out processor after processor every single year there was least many years gab between each model being produced and released. Bloody hell what does these AVR manufactures think they are trying to accomplish here? A world record?

The price for 13.2 is sheer bloody greediness. Look at these trinnov, I could buy one of those won't have much left over after spending mindless £23 grand for 4U frame size metal case box that is also as common as mud, oh but it has D25 but the company is just greedy that's like each of these object channels costs several hundreds just so a listener can hear, bloody tweetie bird on this, object channel a dog barking on that object channel a plane on that object channel just for few lousy seconds of some of these lame, hollywood re-recording mixers, film-mixes, oh please spare my ears the Bullshit I hear far more in Real Life in just a single second that surpasses Atmos.

So we spend hundreds just for few extra channels? My CB radios have little over 200 channels yet I can get far more entertainment from it than a Dolby CP850 costing £30 grand in common as mud 2U frame box with cheap ass faceplate a lame display on it, why dolby couldn't be asked to make it 5U frame size with larger LCD display. I hate that Dolby CP650 that dinky size LCD really. Oh a cable digital tv box not that I care to watch any of that cra tyat is on it. |That has what like a thousand so channels of picture and sound and Atmos only has .... Yeah I rest my bloody case. Disgustingly daylight robbery on consumers.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
If you must have 13 channels, then the AVC-8500H is probably still a good choice as there aren't many reported failures and it may just be the firmware update causing your trouble. AVR may be junk by yours and especially TLGGuy's standard, the problem is, the alternative AVPs are only marginally better, could actually be worse due to their additional balanced circuitry. The amp section of AVRs rarely failed if given ample cooling.

I think 13 channel is great for Atmos, but I am going to stick with 11 channel in order to benefit from the super deals on the X4400/4500/4600....H. At $900 with a 3 year warranty, worst case scenario is $300 per year, that's 1/4 that of the Denon AVC and 1/5 (that's without adding the cost of a 13 channel amp) that of the Marantz AVP.
Not many reported failures so that means there have been reported failures. I pointed out and few others have also mentioned the Marantz has sound issues why because its all digital software i mean serious electronic Gremlin Bugs that they are aware of. The DSU when used often with 2.0 matrix mixes often the sound goes distorted with centre being shifted over to left or right channel and it really does sound like the sound is clipping on good analouge amplifier with levels purposely turned up far beyond normal.

It took me short while to resolve that one was switch the AVR OFF and back ON again. Next option was going into centre spread, press ON then OFF again and that restored the DSU back to normal sounding. So there are some nasty BUGS in these crappy Denon, Marnatz they all share the same chips no doubt that are a sound Bug feast of unacceptable audio standards.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
You aren’t the first one to be unhappy with his/her expensive AVR. it happens far too frequently!
They should only produce one model per company per every few years with professional build at fish n' chips cheap price no exceptions. The parts should all be on cards that can be easily removed within few seconds and replaced the newer one and the broken card inspect and reported on what went wrong with it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
3 hrs for total failure is worse than the others did but there are examples of all the brands. ADTG had a Denon pre pro die. Ryanasaur has issues on all sources on a 6mo old Marantz AVR. Goodforit has issues on a flagship Yamaha.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
3 hrs for total failure is worse than the others did but there are examples of all the brands. ADTG had a Denon pre pro die. Ryanasaur has issues on all sources on a 6mo old Marantz AVR. Goodforit has issues on a flagship Yamaha.
They are all way too much digital software now over some of the many years past ones how many failures did they have? I talking about 20 years or more as Yamaha did have DSP on earlier models with other companies Lexicon remember that brand and its THX ones with Dolby digital dts, I bet those who spent £-grands worth thought they still be using that model in 25 years time with future proof modification for HDMI, what such bullshit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis