Denon AVC-8500H is it D.O.A. or a Bug in the software?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I watched Magic chewing on the Denon early this morning.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
A lot to ask for one box you say. That now is a very strong good point!
Seeing pictures of what is inside it well lousy cheap amplifiers with some 4 fans underneath them. Is there a way to say disconnect the amplifers they will never be used in my room raising the noise floor level up to audible distracting level.

Now take that Marnatz AV8805 same deal 13.2 minus no amplifiers yet the price is DAYLIGHT ROBBERY! £3.2 grand, so what if it has XLR big deal XLR today is about as common as mud! They been around for decades.
What these AVR's all should have fitted is D25 that has the same balanced function and takes up far, far less space on the back of the AVR and will offer The Full Monty Dolby Atmos objects from these bed channels.

Yesterday I was so angry that I wanted to get a Marantz AV8805 from the retailer as I couldn't bare to wait 48 hrs for a replacement I felt angry that I just wanted to Roast Marnatz and Denon. I have vintage Marnatz amplifers little shy ober 40 years old still working. They have jaded sliders now that need replacement but wow lasted over 40 years and the crap they shovel out each year is laughable. budget model this and that and high end this and that, BULLSHIT! Unnecessary. Dolby labs didn't shovel out processor after processor every single year there was least many years gab between each model being produced and released. Bloody hell what does these AVR manufactures think they are trying to accomplish here? A world record?

The price for 13.2 is sheer bloody greediness. Look at these trinnov, I could buy one of those won't have much left over after spending mindless £23 grand for 4U frame size metal case box that is also as common as mud, oh but it has D25 but the company is just greedy that's like each of these object channels costs several hundreds just so a listener can hear, bloody tweetie bird on this, object channel a dog barking on that object channel a plane on that object channel just for few lousy seconds of some of these lame, hollywood re-recording mixers, film-mixes, oh please spare my ears the Bullshit I hear far more in Real Life in just a single second that surpasses Atmos.

So we spend hundreds just for few extra channels? My CB radios have little over 200 channels yet I can get far more entertainment from it than a Dolby CP850 costing £30 grand in common as mud 2U frame box with cheap ass faceplate a lame display on it, why dolby couldn't be asked to make it 5U frame size with larger LCD display. I hate that Dolby CP650 that dinky size LCD really. Oh a cable digital tv box not that I care to watch any of that cra tyat is on it. |That has what like a thousand so channels of picture and sound and Atmos only has .... Yeah I rest my bloody case. Disgustingly daylight robbery on consumers.
Daylight robbery you say! HA!, Yes, but WE have the choice to say no thanks! The 8805 is $4500 US dollars!! For me that is far too much money to spend. Unless you are willing and able, and just want that piece. If I were to go the separates route I would take a good look at the Yamaha CX A5200, and save about $1900 bucks. The would probably be the one for me. I know you said your vintage Marantz gear lasted 40 or more years, and that's just awesome!!

I think when it comes to this newer gear, Yamaha seems to have the edge in Most cases, when it comes to reliability. I don't know if I would be able to tell a difference in sound between the 8805 and the 5200.

For what it's worth, I love the Yamaha 3060. It fits my needs perfectly.

I hope you get your rig worked out soon bro. Peace

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Daylight robbery you say! HA!, Yes, but WE have the choice to say no thanks! The 8805 is $4500 US dollars!! For me that is far too much money to spend. Unless you are willing and able, and just want that piece. If I were to go the separates route I would take a good look at the Yamaha CX A5200, and save about $1900 bucks. The would probably be the one for me. I know you said your vintage Marantz gear lasted 40 or more years, and that's just awesome!!

I think when it comes to this newer gear, Yamaha seems to have the edge in Most cases, when it comes to reliability. I don't know if I would be able to tell a difference in sound between the 8805 and the 5200.

For what it's worth, I love the Yamaha 3060. It fits my needs perfectly.

I hope you get your rig worked out soon bro. Peace
I read Gene, review on the Yamaha AVENTAGE AI of one of there products for almost a day I had been going back to reading the review as I'm rather skeptical about this AI improving film soundtracks.
I liked some of the earlier Yamaha AVR's though the early 90's into late 90's and early 2000's that black smooth gloss finish very nice. I own few Yamaha processors DSR70 and DSP100 and they still work.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Received email, the replacement has been dispatched and be here around morning time. It better work.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
How was the 8500 shipped..
It weighs about 55 lbs and if handled roughly and/or dropped by the carrier all bets are off for it being reliable. The 8500 is loaded with internal boards, connecting cables...
Even though the outer carton may not have any signs of abuse, it can easily be damaged by rough handling..

Just my $0.02... ;)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I read Gene, review on the Yamaha AVENTAGE AI of one of there products for almost a day I had been going back to reading the review as I'm rather skeptical about this AI improving film soundtracks.
I liked some of the earlier Yamaha AVR's though the early 90's into late 90's and early 2000's that black smooth gloss finish very nice. I own few Yamaha processors DSR70 and DSP100 and they still work.
Yeah, my 3060 doesn't have AI, and from what I've read, I really couldn't care less about it. Unless there is some earth shattering feature that I can't do without, I'm sticking with mine for a while.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, my 3060 doesn't have AI, and from what I've read, I really couldn't care less about it. Unless there is some earth shattering feature that I can't do without, I'm sticking with mine for a while.
Ya I wanted the 3060 too, but settled for the 2060. I’m happy with the 2060 so far.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
It weighs about 55 lbs and if handled roughly and/or dropped by the carrier all bets are off for it being reliable. The 8500 is loaded with internal boards, connecting cables...
Even though the outer carton may not have any signs of abuse, it can easily be damaged by rough handling..

Just my $0.02... ;)
I see your point on that.
47495074_10156688943085149_882071576906825728_n.jpg

Just like above and yes I noticed few knock dents around the sides of the box and the packing inside seemed bit of joke and why I not been barking mad about the packing for £2.7 grand.

47240952_10156688944925149_3111545248644333568_n.jpg

Denon packing. ^

When I had a second hand Onkyo TX-NR807 the seller really packed it well for a now outdated AVR. I didn't take a picture of un-boxing expect for a video. The box was like triple laird cardboard with extra padding I think that foam stuff that expands in the plastic covering that molds around the item so Very well.
47291610_10156674268215149_7054317357992247296_n.jpg

Onkyo second hand AVR packing ^

Onkyo TX-NR807 is inside the box.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I think I can share your sentiment on that I think its just cleaver marketing, perhaps Bose should have used it. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Good luck with the 2nd Denon. I can’t imagine the 2nd one would have trouble.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Just my $0.02... ;)
Quoting your post again as you made a strong valid point!
Yeah the box may have polystyrene packing and thinking what if the item box packing took a few rough dumps and knocks that could possibly transmit in vibrations and cause a shock to the delicate electronics that could possible and yes easily move and may loosen. Just my 1pence ;)

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Good luck with the 2nd Denon. I can’t imagine the 2nd one would have trouble.
Okay, thanks.
Well even now it would be in transit as it has to come down nearly 400 miles away and the deliver has other drop offs along the way. I noticed the item was bit cold when taking it out the box and even before powering it was few hours, with removing the Marantz SR6012 carefully so the Denon would have been at room temperature with the heating on as it was bit chilly few days ago and is going to get down to 0c within few days.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Re-boxed it I have to ask the courier to tape it I only have thin sticky tape not enough. I think Magic is gonna miss the box. :D

47685598_10156691749700149_2709417403569143808_n.jpg
47571813_10156691750225149_8630098639366127616_n.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dang. Your new AVR just died after the firmware update? :eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I were to go the separates route I would take a good look at the Yamaha CX A5200, and save about $1900 bucks. The would probably be the one for me.
I assume he wanted 13 channel processing for 7.1.6. Unless I remember wrong, the CX-A5200 can only do 7.1.4, that his SR6012 already can do. As I mentioned in my earlier post, if he must have 13 channel, Denon and Marantz appear to be the only practical choices. There is a $5,000 16 channel Emotiva RMC-1, but I don't think it is available yet.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Its been hyped as the most powerful AVR in the world with 13.1 and extended 5 year warranty wow is that for when micro-processing chips fail just within few hours of use brand new out of the box or for bugs that Denon and Marntz engineers already know about but expect consumers to put up with it. Its got more bugs than Windows pc.

View attachment 27061
Even my cat Magic seems uncertain about the Denon AVR-X8500H?

View attachment 27062
All is in brand new inside the box.

Denon and Marnatz share their ideas or what ever it is? As the menus have more less same layouts with small differences.

It took least 2 hours to get the Denon fitted into place on the rack form undoing the leads on the Marnatz then placing the Denon on top of the rack and connecting the leads up one by one to make sure I don't miss-connect the leads.

View attachment 27063
Undid all the leads on the Marnatz SR6012

View attachment 27064
View attachment 27065

Sort of side by side or view of both Marnatz, Denon as it feels like sticking another Onkyo back up on top of the rack.

View attachment 27066
Almost finished connecting up the leads to RCA pre-outputs and HDMI leads all in place.

After a successful start up as these AVR's today really rely on software like computers only I think they are lot less sophisticated with far too many wrongs than goods with them and no not my opinion my personal, operating using it has lead me to believe this.

View attachment 27067
Denon switched ON and goes into usual start up mode just like the Marnatz SR6012 does.

So when all looked like it was running well with DVD in the Panasonic UHD 4K player, playing, The Peacemaker (1997) and the sound sounding okay thou only presently set with x4 overhead surrounds even thou I was go to get the Height ceiling channels wired up later in the night, which is now and I'll delay it till Thursday, when the replacement Denon AVR-X8500H arrives and that I have the present one boxed up and handed over to the courier to be taken back to retailer and sent back to Denon so those eggheads can figure how or want went wrong with it, (during a firmware update that I was installing for that dts / imax enhance).

View attachment 27069
View attachment 27070

I spent few times on the phone with my usual diplomatic approach - the swearing as I had to "keep clam" :D the dealer even gave me a direct phone number for Denon/Marnatz and I hate computer voices on the phone and the list of options and just lost my cool and started swearing even thou it was non-human voice on recorded system I just HUNG UP! Called the dealer shop again and arranged to have another one brand new sent to me while the other is collected same day from the courier.

View attachment 27071
Green is the colour for EVIL. This must be a Demon or a Lemon?

To be continued as the page run out of picture image space.
Nothing is made to the standard that the venerable Denon AVR-5805 was built to but that was an elegant weapon for a more civilized time.

see: https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-5805

I wept when I had to sell this unit and then I wept again when I had to give up my Denon AVP and POA Separates since there was no upgrade path to Atmos or HDMI 2.0.

The AVR-X8500H is the closest thing you're going to get from Denon these days to the AVR-5805 as it's built in the same production facility in Japan that the AVR-5805 was made. It was also designed by the same brilliant engineer.

I haven't heard of many failures of new Denon receivers. You do have to be very careful to make sure you have a stable wired ethernet connection when doing firmware updates. I NEVER do firmware updates wirelessly. Perhaps there was a hiccup during the upgrade process that lead to the failure you're seeing.

Before throwing it into the kitty litter box, give a 2nd unit a try.

I'm running a Marantz SR8012 in my family room system in a 5.2.4 speaker configuration and very pleased with it. Good luck.

PS. I never reviewed the Yamaha AI feature yet. That was a preview article. I am running a CX-A5100 processor in my theater room and will be upgrading to the CX-A5200 next year to test it out. The AVENTAGE processor has excellent build quality and is well worth it's asking price IF you're ok with only 11CH processing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis