Denon Audyssey settings with Def Tech bipolar speakers

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
Well imo, 5.1.4 is definitely more immersive than 7.1.2. The other thing is that the surrounds should be about the same height as your mains. Or 1.25 to 1.55 X the tweeter height of the mains. The speakers you have mounted behind the front row could almost be rear tops! Lol
So for me, (assuming your maxed out on channels in the AVR)I would go with 5.1.4 by mountain all of your surround speakers on the ceiling at 45° fore and aft of the front row and adding a pair of surrounds in the regular surround positions to the sides. At just above ear level. Sell the upfiring modules.

I do apologize. I wrote this over about 3 hrs, one minute at a time. Not very cohesive...
Also, I’m up by Brainerd. Nice to see another nerd from home.
There's really no possible way to get surround left and right speakers in ideal positions as there is a window on the right side and and no wall on the other side, it opens up to another room (you can kind of see it from the picture that shows the rear speakers). You're right, I might be able to mount the speakers I have mounted to the beam to the ceiling instead but the backs are SR9080 which can't be mounted the same way.

My receiver does support a full 7.2.4 but given the space I don't know that it's really worth it with the room that it is being used in. I feel like you wouldn't get separation of channels for poop with that many speakers in my setup. What I'm currently using for surround left and right would be ideal for height backs and the module's on the floorstanding speakers are built into the towers as the speakers are the Def Tech BP9080X.

Jon AA

Jon AA

Audioholic
My thought process, and I thank Denon for making this easy, is to copy the EQ settings, turn off the Audyssey adjustments and copy and enter the EQ curve in manually exactly as the Audyssey system has it except for the 63hz signal.
If you listen to it just the way Audyssey sets it, do you feel it's lacking bass even with LFE+Main compared with before calibration? How does the bass sound set to LFE and speakers set to small? Try comparing those with uncalibrated (Audyssey off, no EQ) to get a feel on which direction you want to go with bass (more, less, etc).

How do the mids/highs sound to you after calibration vs. before? Those speakers have a decent rise at the very top of the response--do you like the way they sound uncalibrated (lots of detail, etc) or do you like them better after calibration (maybe less harsh, etc)? This will give an indication of whether you want to limit correction to lower frequencies or if you like them better corrected full range.
Your guys' knowledge is clearly much higher than mine. Any of you in Minnesota and want to come over and help lol.
Short of that, you could download the app and do a run with that. Then if you like, email me the file and I'd be happy to take a look at it and walk you through a few suggestions.

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
If you listen to it just the way Audyssey sets it, do you feel it's lacking bass even with LFE+Main compared with before calibration? How does the bass sound set to LFE and speakers set to small? Try comparing those with uncalibrated (Audyssey off, no EQ) to get a feel on which direction you want to go with bass (more, less, etc).

How do the mids/highs sound to you after calibration vs. before? Those speakers have a decent rise at the very top of the response--do you like the way they sound uncalibrated (lots of detail, etc) or do you like them better after calibration (maybe less harsh, etc)? This will give an indication of whether you want to limit correction to lower frequencies or if you like them better corrected full range.

Short of that, you could download the app and do a run with that. Then if you like, email me the file and I'd be happy to take a look at it and walk you through a few suggestions.
Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to do some listening over the next week and then try some of the changes you recommended and see what I like better. This is probably a stupid question because I'm pretty sure the answer is that the manual settings override the Audyssey findings but I run the Audyssey microphone and it sets my fronts and center channel to Large and crossover frequency at 40hz. I then go into the manual setup part of it and change the speakers to small and change the crossovers to 60hz for the towers and 100hz for the center. Also I change the subwoofer mode to LFE instead of LFE + MAIN. I'm assuming those manual settings override what Audyssey had set up previously correct?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for all the advice. I'll have to do some listening over the next week and then try some of the changes you recommended and see what I like better. This is probably a stupid question because I'm pretty sure the answer is that the manual settings override the Audyssey findings but I run the Audyssey microphone and it sets my fronts and center channel to Large and crossover frequency at 40hz. I then go into the manual setup part of it and change the speakers to small and change the crossovers to 60hz for the towers and 100hz for the center. Also I change the subwoofer mode to LFE instead of LFE + MAIN. I'm assuming those manual settings override what Audyssey had set up previously correct?
Should yes, mine did. It's Audyssey settings plus my changes, I made minor changes just to the sub and crossover.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks pretty good, tho you could try a higher crossover setting for your fronts and see how it sounds. I have very capable speakers that dig down to 30 hz and found that 120 hz crossover is just what works best. That's where I get my best measurements and where it sounds best to my ears. Not saying you would have to go as high as I do. My room and main speakers just don't like to play very well together.

letrbuck2006

letrbuck2006

Audioholic Intern
Looks pretty good, tho you could try a higher crossover setting for your fronts and see how it sounds. I have very capable speakers that dig down to 30 hz and found that 120 hz crossover is just what works best. That's where I get my best measurements and where it sounds best to my ears. Not saying you would have to go as high as I do. My room and main speakers just don't like to play very well together.
Thanks, I'll have to play around with that and see what I like. Thanks for the input. I'm glad I posted on here because this has definitely been a big learning experience. Do most people use the reference or flat setting with their Audyssey adjustments?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, I'll have to play around with that and see what I like. Thanks for the input. I'm glad I posted on here because this has definitely been a big learning experience. Do most people use the reference or flat setting with their Audyssey adjustments?
All subjective really. I have tinnitus and prefer flat because to me it's a little bit brighter than reference. I also like DEQ ON and the -reference level offset at 5 or 10, depending on what's playing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis