Denon 4400 setup. ...few questions

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Since I'm still figuring this out I post here again.
Curious what this offset is under information-general/audio. I see it changes with each input such as tv, Netflix, Amazon prime. Prime and Netflix are run of Nvidia shield. The reason I ask is while watching TV audio seems pretty good. I put on Netflix and still good as one thing I noticed is that both state a -3db. When I switch to Amazon prime the offset goes to -8db and when watching a movie such as watchmen it sounds bland. No Dynamics, very low bass if any... Tried looking in the manual and it states a definition on what it is but doesn't state if it's adjustable or if the offset db is dependent on the signal

Pics are
Amazon
Netflix
Netflix
DirecTV

Just for some reason audio seems uninspiring. Wish someone lived close that could listen to my setup to see if anything is wacky. Lol
What notice is I have volume at -23 to watch say, Jack Reacher on Prime
Switch to Netflix and watch the Punisher and I have to drop the volume to -33 to be at the same level. Is it just Prime sucks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Curious what this offset is under information-general/audio. I see it changes with each input such as tv, Netflix, Amazon prime. Prime and Netflix are run of Nvidia shield. The reason I ask is while watching TV audio seems pretty good. I put on Netflix and still good as one thing I noticed is that both state a -3db. When I switch to Amazon prime the offset goes to -8db and when watching a movie such as watchmen it sounds bland. No Dynamics, very low bass if any... Tried looking in the manual and it states a definition on what it is but doesn't state if it's adjustable or if the offset db is dependent on the signal

Pics are
Amazon
Netflix
Netflix
DirecTV

Just for some reason audio seems uninspiring. Wish someone lived close that could listen to my setup to see if anything is wacky. Lol
Switch to Netflix and watch the Punisher and I have to drop the volume to -33 to be at the same level. Is it just Prime sucks

I've also noticed same with Marnatz SR6012 the off-set is only displayed on the tiny round display not on the on-screen like your Denon AVR.

There is a setting under audio input to raise the level up which I do on some content that is rather low in level and with off-set levels that 0 I leave it as it is. Some that are +4db I don't bother lowering the level they sound okay.
I (watched now) Jack Ryan on prime few weeks ago and wasn't really sure if it was legit Atmos on Dolby Digital Plus I thought it was the upmixer tricking my ears? Does the Atmos appear like it does with Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Digital Plus on the display saying "Atmos".

45892969_10156638255800149_4485802799019327488_n.jpg

So if you want increase level on some soft levels go into input/Source. Remember this! If you play the AVR at 0db ref with off-sets at +4db and the level raised the soundtrack could reach a level that will shut the AVR off into protection mode due to clipping.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
There are so many settings and variations in the Denon 4400 that if you have just one of them incorrect, it can make a world of difference in the audio you hear. Keep experimenting with it until you get it right. For me, the Denon 4400 was the hardest receiver I have ever owned to get to sound the way I wanted it to. The first month I owned the Denon I found myself constantly making changes.

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Andy and Paul. It's funny you say that. Ive played with source volume as you've stated and am I wrong its kinda like a master volume for that input? Last night I watched Chicago PD and Vikings on DirecTV. As far as it is now it's great. Enough bass, clarity and levels on each speaker. If I go to my shield input and watch say , Thor ragnorok, on Netflix it's good but a bit lacking vs my older onkyo with less power (albiet that was a 7 channel avr). The onkyo had a different type of bass. Only way to describe it is less refined but more hammer ( that is just the reference for that movie on Netflix). Still on the shield I put any show on prime and it's like they turned the volume way down as well as the dynamic range seems compressed. Bass seems lacking and the upper range quashed. Not sure if that's the right way to state it and in that aspect I assume it's just a symptom and problem on Amazon's side. The crappy part is since Netflix, youtube, prime and Kodi are all on the shield there's no separate source adjust. I have a few movies from Blu Ray ripped to my hard drive connected to the shield and watched Tron: legacy. The Denon has a bit less bass then the onkyo, but it did seem to go deeper and punch harder. I couldn't complain on that front as the intro and first frisbee fight scene was extrordinary. I threw in John wick on Blu Ray and only watched a small bit but the scene at the cemetery raining felt like I was in the rain. The top rears sounded just like a storm, oh and also watching Chicago PD last night an ambulance was in the end and the sirens we're played from the tops. I literally thought it was an ambulance outside lol

One thing I'm curious on and what I did for bass where as follows:
When first running Audessey they had me adjust the subs volumes knobs to 75db. They had the knobs at 1/4. With the onkyo the knobs where just past half way. With the knobs at 1/4 on the Denon I was unimpressed but yesterday before any of watching of shows just mentions I adjusted the knobs to halfway. What I'm curious on is I wanted to check to see how Audessey did with level matching the speakers. I ran threw FL, c, fr, Sr,sl, tl, tr and all at 75. Once I got to the subs, no sound at all. I had to adjust the subs for the test from -11 to +8 to even hear them. I set them back at -11 as at +8 the bass would be rediculous and smoke my subs.

Paul, I think I'm gonna have to spend a good amnt of time learning the receiver as compared to the 2003 onkyo they are world's apart.
Oh, and my wife keeps asking sarcastically, "was it worth 900 bucks "...yes sweetie..it was. Lol

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Andy and Paul. It's funny you say that. Ive played with source volume as you've stated and am I wrong its kinda like a master volume for that input? Last night I watched Chicago PD and Vikings on DirecTV. As far as it is now it's great. Enough bass, clarity and levels on each speaker. If I go to my shield input and watch say , Thor ragnorok, on Netflix it's good but a bit lacking vs my older onkyo with less power (albiet that was a 7 channel avr). The onkyo had a different type of bass. Only way to describe it is less refined but more hammer ( that is just the reference for that movie on Netflix). Still on the shield I put any show on prime and it's like they turned the volume way down as well as the dynamic range seems compressed. Bass seems lacking and the upper range quashed. Not sure if that's the right way to state it and in that aspect I assume it's just a symptom and problem on Amazon's side. The crappy part is since Netflix, youtube, prime and Kodi are all on the shield there's no separate source adjust. I have a few movies from Blu Ray ripped to my hard drive connected to the shield and watched Tron: legacy. The Denon has a bit less bass then the onkyo, but it did seem to go deeper and punch harder. I couldn't complain on that front as the intro and first frisbee fight scene was extrordinary. I threw in John wick on Blu Ray and only watched a small bit but the scene at the cemetery raining felt like I was in the rain. The top rears sounded just like a storm, oh and also watching Chicago PD last night an ambulance was in the end and the sirens we're played from the tops. I literally thought it was an ambulance outside lol

One thing I'm curious on and what I did for bass where as follows:
When first running Audessey they had me adjust the subs volumes knobs to 75db. They had the knobs at 1/4. With the onkyo the knobs where just past half way. With the knobs at 1/4 on the Denon I was unimpressed but yesterday before any of watching of shows just mentions I adjusted the knobs to halfway. What I'm curious on is I wanted to check to see how Audessey did with level matching the speakers. I ran threw FL, c, fr, Sr,sl, tl, tr and all at 75. Once I got to the subs, no sound at all. I had to adjust the subs for the test from -11 to +8 to even hear them. I set them back at -11 as at +8 the bass would be rediculous and smoke my subs.

Paul, I think I'm gonna have to spend a good amnt of time learning the receiver as compared to the 2003 onkyo they are world's apart.
Oh, and my wife keeps asking sarcastically, "was it worth 900 bucks "...yes sweetie..it was. Lol

Just keep tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. When you get it right, it will bring a smile to your face.
One thing that I tried that makes a very big difference is located on page 180 of the owners manual - Multi EQ. Try "Reference", "L/R Bypass", "Flat" and off. Each setting offers very different audio quality. At one point I was sure my old receiver sounded better so I swapped it out and sigh, no it didn't sound better.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Pics are
Amazon
Netflix
Netflix
DirecTV

Try this article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialnorm

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Paul, I'm sure that would be the case as well. Swap my old AV in and realize it doesn't stack up. I can say this. Music sounds very good. I have a agptek rocker DAP. I have a good amount of FLAC files on it and it sounds wonderful. Music is a def improvement.
Lovin, you beat me to it. I'll check that link out but I found this as well.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=121087
So it seems it's something set by the media/station that is unchangeable.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis