Denon 3910 player output.

UFObuster

UFObuster

Audioholic
I've recently acquired the 3910 (used) to improve my video upscaling of SD-DVDs and have minimal time testing/listening to my CD collection. I have a pretty potent 2-channel set up with a dedicated Rotel 2 channel amp thru a Rotel pre/pro (1068).
If you know this product, what is your opinion of its DAC? Is it good enough that I should be using its analog output into the Rotels by-pass mode? I'm trying it both ways now (analog out and digital out--using the Rotel's processor). Differences are subtle which tells me the Denon's DAC is pretty good. Your opinion?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You are on the right track, compare the two and keep the configuration that yields better sound for you. The differences will be subtle for sure. In my case, the 3910 over analog felt slightly better than Denon Link III.

On a side note, if it matters to you, the 3910 does not send DVD-A and SACD over digital (except Denon Link III).

UFObuster

UFObuster

Audioholic
On a side note, if it matters to you, the 3910 does not send DVD-A and SACD over digital (except Denon Link III).
Right you are...and the SACD/DVD-A analog out put is simply outstanding from the Denon.
Continuing to explore how to realize the best 2 channel from the same unit.
Leaning slightly to the Denon analog out over the Rotel PCM conversion to analog. It's close. Other opinions on the Denon's DAC?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried it both ways? Which sounds better to you? That would be the determining factor for me, because ultimately you are the one doing the listening.

UFObuster

UFObuster

Audioholic
Have you tried it both ways? Which sounds better to you? That would be the determining factor for me, because ultimately you are the one doing the listening.
Yep...been doing that but the difference is so subtle. I'll be going thru a number of recordings to conclude anything. I'm just fishing for other's experience with Denon DAC vs. a good pre/pro (in my case Rotel) taking off the PCM output and converting it to analog . In your opinion, is the Denon good-enough that you would pass thru analog even in a very good pre/pro?

thanks for comments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I feel the Denon's DACs are quite up to the task. I use my 2900 pretty much for audio only :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis