Denon 3700 upgrade question

S

schastleevo

Audiophyte
Hello. I've been having a lot of problems with my old AVR that is a Pioneer SC-05. The room where this is at is wired for a 7.1 system with dual subs. Because the Pioneer is having increasing problems I've decided to replace it, & have chosen the Denon 3700. I know this receiver is a 9.1 system, but I'm going to use it in my 7.1 room. My problem is the selection of the outputs of the surround speakers. All of these speakers are mounted in the ceiling. My problem is that there are so many surround options to use from the Denon, & I was trying to make use of the best ones for my room. I've attached a picture of (most) the surround speakers, there is 1 more speaker outside of the LH side of the picture & it's spaced like you see on the RH side of the picture. The owners manual show a system with 4 ceiling speakers. Is this the best way to connect the speakers to the Denon, or is there a better combination of outputs to use?

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those oblong white boxes are speakers?

ps You had them previously assigned as surround and rear surround speakers?

S

schastleevo

Audiophyte
I'm sorry not to label the picture. Yes the white rectangular object in the ceiling are the surround speakers. FYI, all speakers, except for the subs, are Definitive Technology & the subs are HSU.

S

schastleevo

Audiophyte
Yes the ceiling speakers were just hooked up to the surround outputs from the Pioneer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes the ceiling speakers were just hooked up to the surround outputs from the Pioneer.
There are a variety of surround channels. If you had a 7.1 unit you might have had a choice between front surround and rear surround in addition to the surround channel (the surround channel based in 5.1 format). Not sure how you had stuff setup, in ceiling would be my last choice, especially if trying to combine with an overhead tech like Dolby Atmos....so I'd just tend to setup the Denon with the same surround channels as you did before....unless you had all four ceiling speakers just somehow working off the "surround" channel?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'd encourage you to migrate at least the Front Speakers (LCR) to be across the wall with the TV at ear level when seated. Use the Def Techs if you want/ can or buy something else. You will hear a huge improvement in your system for music, and Home Theater sources.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis