Denon 3600 vs Denon 4500

M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte
I am doing my 7.2.4 setup and was going for either of the Denon receiver with 7 channel Outlaw Mono amp. My question is there a big difference going for 4500 over 3600 with external amplification for my LCR and surrounds. Trying to save some money where I can.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am doing my 7.2.4 setup and was going for either of the Denon receiver with 7 channel Outlaw Mono amp. My question is there a big difference going for 4500 over 3600 with external amplification for my LCR and surrounds. Trying to save some money where I can.
Assuming both have the features you need, I would take the 4500 for $100 more +/-, otherwise take the 3600.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I’ve had the Denon avr-x3600 for about a month now and I’ll say it’s a fantastic avr with good room correction via Audyssey XT32.
With that said I would recommend the 4500 simply because it allows cross upmixing. If you’re not interested in this then the 3600 is just fine.
Maybe @AcuDefTechGuy or @VonMagnum can give their opinions on the advantages of being able to cross upmixing.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I’ve had the Denon avr-x3600 for about a month now and I’ll say it’s a fantastic avr with good room correction via Audyssey XT32.
With that said I would recommend the 4500 simply because it allows cross upmixing. If you’re not interested in this then the 3600 is just fine.
Maybe @AcuDefTechGuy or @VonMagnum can give their opinions on the advantages of being able to cross upmixing.
What is cross upmixing?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If anyone can help us understand about upmixing?
DTS to Dolby and vice versa. Dolby killed being able to use their content with say DTS Nueral X a up mixer recently. Silly BS that only hurts the consumer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Von uses DSU for most music and DTS NeuralX for most movies.

I use NeuralX for most movies and music. I hardly ever use DSU, so that Dolby Restriction would NOT apply to me much. :D

Last edited:
CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I think Von uses DSU for most music and DTS NeuralX for most movies.

I use NeuralX for most movies and music. I hardly ever use DSU, so that Dolby Restriction would NOT apply to me much. :D
[/QUO
If I'm trying to save money, I would just get an AVR and not even worry about external amps.
You could not use NeuralX upmixer if the program is recorded for Dolby.
Denon customer service told me that the newer recievers that have Dolby Virtualization will not allow cross upmixing. Dolby is forcing this not Denon.
This is the only reason that I recommend the 4500 over the 3600. Other than that the 3600 is fantastic.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Account still slowed...sorry to not respond.

Dolby repealed their mandate to restrict upmixers on August 27th, 2019, likely due to the European Union stepping in with a potential lawsuit). So unless something changed recently, there is no restriction any longer. If a given model has it restricted, Denon should remove it with a firmware update, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bother either....

But yeah, if it's restricted on the 3600, I'd avoid it. Neural X is awesome for upmixing and I wouldn't want to not be able to use it on movies.

M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte

Dolby repealed their mandate to restrict upmixers on August 27th, 2019, likely due to the European Union stepping in with a potential lawsuit). So unless something changed recently, there is no restriction any longer. If a given model has it restricted, Denon should remove it with a firmware update, but then I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bother either....

But yeah, if it's restricted on the 3600, I'd avoid it. Neural X is awesome for upmixing and I wouldn't want to not be able to use it on movies.
Thank you all for your response. I am going with 4500.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General

Thanks for the tip, I have the 4500 and never listened to Neural X before. It is great!

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic

The.3600 comes with Dolby height virtualization. I was told that Dolby doesn’t allow cross upmixing on receivers that have this option.
I think this is their way around the restrictions they “repealed “.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I thought the Dolby restriction only inhibited the use of DSU on anything other than Dolby sound? For example, if the sound was DTS, then you couldn't use DSU.

But it didn't inhibit the use of NeuralX on anything. For example, if the sound was DD, you could still use NeuralX.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I thought the Dolby restriction only inhibited the use of DSU on anything other than Dolby sound? For example, if the sound was DTS, then you couldn't use DSU.

But it didn't inhibit the use of NeuralX on anything. For example, if the sound was DD, you could still use NeuralX.
Think the other way around. NeuralX wouldn’t be allowed on Dolby Digital.

I’m going to keep my eye on this as I do want to upgrade to hdmi 2.1 at some point in the next 1 to 3 years but don’t want to sacrifice NeuralX cross upmixing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Think the other way around. NeuralX wouldn’t be allowed on Dolby Digital.

I’m going to keep my eye on this as I do want to upgrade to hdmi 2.1 at some point in the next 1 to 3 years but don’t want to sacrifice NeuralX cross upmixing.
Dolby Digital or Dolby Surround?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis