Denon 3600 vs Denon 4500

M

mi_bhatt

Audiophyte
I am doing my 7.2.4 setup and was going for either of the Denon receiver with 7 channel Outlaw Mono amp. My question is there a big difference going for 4500 over 3600 with external amplification for my LCR and surrounds. Trying to save some money where I can.

P

PENG

Audioholic Overlord
I am doing my 7.2.4 setup and was going for either of the Denon receiver with 7 channel Outlaw Mono amp. My question is there a big difference going for 4500 over 3600 with external amplification for my LCR and surrounds. Trying to save some money where I can.
Assuming both have the features you need, I would take the 4500 for $100 more +/-, otherwise take the 3600.

C

CajunLB

Audioholic
I’ve had the Denon avr-x3600 for about a month now and I’ll say it’s a fantastic avr with good room correction via Audyssey XT32.
With that said I would recommend the 4500 simply because it allows cross upmixing. If you’re not interested in this then the 3600 is just fine.
Maybe @AcuDefTechGuy or @VonMagnum can give their opinions on the advantages of being able to cross upmixing.

P

PENG

Audioholic Overlord
Its 899 vs 1199 on accessories4less.
A refurbished AVR-X4500H is on sale for $899.99 on AC4L.

The AVR-X3600H brand new is on sale for $899.99 also, or $749.99 refurbished.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Full Audioholic
I’ve had the Denon avr-x3600 for about a month now and I’ll say it’s a fantastic avr with good room correction via Audyssey XT32.
With that said I would recommend the 4500 simply because it allows cross upmixing. If you’re not interested in this then the 3600 is just fine.
Maybe @AcuDefTechGuy or @VonMagnum can give their opinions on the advantages of being able to cross upmixing.
What is cross upmixing?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Von uses DSU for most music and DTS NeuralX for most movies.

I use NeuralX for most movies and music. I hardly ever use DSU, so that Dolby Restriction would NOT apply to me much. :D

Last edited:
C

CajunLB

Audioholic
I think Von uses DSU for most music and DTS NeuralX for most movies.

I use NeuralX for most movies and music. I hardly ever use DSU, so that Dolby Restriction would NOT apply to me much. :D
[/QUO
If I'm trying to save money, I would just get an AVR and not even worry about external amps.
You could not use NeuralX upmixer if the program is recorded for Dolby.
Denon customer service told me that the newer recievers that have Dolby Virtualization will not allow cross upmixing. Dolby is forcing this not Denon.
This is the only reason that I recommend the 4500 over the 3600. Other than that the 3600 is fantastic.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis