Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Other than the extra channels, is the any benefit to purchasing the 4500 over the 3500?
I can upgrade for about $100. Will I be able to see or hear a difference?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Other than the extra channels, is the any benefit to purchasing the 4500 over the 3500?
I can upgrade for about $100. Will I be able to see or hear a difference?
On paper, the 4500 obviously has better audio specs. I have owned both briefly, compared both to my separates listening to 2 ch music, found no audible differences nor visible differences based on plotted graphs. As always, ymmv..

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks Peng! I really don’t like to pay extra for stuff I don’t need.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
How far up the Denon line before I get to a noticeable difference?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Until you run into some features that make a difference to your setup I'd say....
Agreed, or if more power is needed, but then even the flagship x8500h can only offer 1 to 2 dB more (guessimated at 240 to 270 W into 4 ohms, 2 ch driven) at the most.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, or if more power is needed, but then even the flagship x8500h can only offer 1 to 2 dB more (guessimated at 240 to 270 W into 4 ohms, 2 ch driven) at the most.
It seems the Denon 4000 series can handle 4 Ohm better than 3000 series. From S&V measurements the AVR-X4200W offer 216 W into 4 Ohms, 2 channels driven, 0.1% THD, while for the AVR-X3400H it is 145 W. Both are 7 channel receivers, but the successors to X4200W (2015 model) now have 9 channels of amplification, so I'm unsure if the successors handle 4 Ohms as well.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
A4L has as awesome deal on Denons 4400, 749.00

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It seems the Denon 4000 series can handle 4 Ohm better than 3000 series. From S&V measurements the AVR-X4200W offer 216 W into 4 Ohms, 2 channels driven, 0.1% THD, while for the AVR-X3400H it is 145 W. Both are 7 channel receivers, but the successors to X4200W (2015 model) now have 9 channels of amplification, so I'm unsure if the successors handle 4 Ohms as well.
So the 4200 tested about 1.65 dB better than the 3400, that is not significant. I am quite sure (have the schematics but not at my finger tips at the moment) the amp sections of the 4200 through 4500 are the same but the 4300 through 4500 has a slightly larger power supply. The 4200 may yield marginally better results but 10-15 watts difference would be within margin of errors and are practically meaningless. The newer models's electronic protective systems may be a touch more aggressive, due to the added channels creating a more jam-packed environment.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I pulled the trigger. For a difference of $50, I figure it’s worth it. Small price to pay to satisfy the “what if’s”.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I pulled the trigger. For a difference of $50, I figure it’s worth it. Small price to pay to satisfy the “what if’s”.
The front is certainly nicer, and you even have an extra 12V trigger which I found very handy when I recently bought two new subwoofers. At last, no more subwoofer failing to turn on when I listen at low volume.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Nice find bro! Post up your thoughts once you get it set up and some time with it. Enjoy!!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
The front is certainly nicer, and you even have an extra 12V trigger which I found very handy when I recently bought two new subwoofers. At last, no more subwoofer failing to turn on when I listen at low volume.
So, I don’t understand how the triggers work. I was under the impression that I should not plug the subs into the receiver.
Even if I plug them into the receiver, wouldn’t my settings determine if the subs came on?

Again, thanks for your collective patience with my ignorance.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Nice find bro! Post up your thoughts once you get it set up and some time with it. Enjoy!!
I am definitely sold on the Denon sound. Unless there is a surprise, my biggest challenge is trying to figure out what to do with the extra channels!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So, I don’t understand how the triggers work. I was under the impression that I should not plug the subs into the receiver.
Even if I plug them into the receiver, wouldn’t my settings determine if the subs came on?

Again, thanks for your collective patience with my ignorance.
A trigger on a receiver is used to turn a component on/off and you use cable to connect the component to the receiver that is separate from a signal cable. Commonly this is used for subwoofers and external amplifiers that has a 12V trigger input.

External amplifiers and subwoofers have "auto on" that senses that there are some signal present and turns itself on/off, but this does not always work so well when the signal is low (like when listening on low volume).

For your Denon there triggers are located here: Denon AVR-X4500H TRIGGER OUT jacks and there is a menu for config of triggers

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am definitely sold on the Denon sound. Unless there is a surprise, my biggest challenge is trying to figure out what to do with the extra channels!
Don't feel bad, I don't use any of them, but make sure they all work.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Don't feel bad, I don't use any of them, but make sure they all work.
I see there is a configuration that allows me to bi-amp my front speakers, is there any benefit?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I see there is a configuration that allows me to bi-amp my front speakers, is there any benefit?
Short answer: No.
It won't hurt anything if you do it right. It won't really help anything either. Keep in mind, with that AVR, every channel of amplification you use takes potential energy away from the other channels. (My marantz does this too.)
I would recommend keeping it simple. connect everything as you normally would, one cable per speaker with the jumper still installed on the binding posts, and have fun! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis