Demand D11 ,need new AVR

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
hello i just purchased it on sale for 550$ a pair and im in need of new AVR
my old 15 years old onky from box ht died,left channel and im lookign for new amp to use new speakers
i did check specs and it says native 4 ohm ,compared to d9,and d7 series

what new AVR should i get,any recommendations ?i still use old sub from this box set its SKW 530 i think by onkyp 180 w i think
so my question is go all into avr or cheaper avr plus replace subwoofer
thanks for all help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's your budget for "go all into avr"? Or avr plus sub?

While that sub certainly could use an upgrade but a flagship avr may be more than you need.....just what gear do you have besides the two new speakers and the old sub? You could likely repurpose the old HTIB speakers for surrounds easily enough, tho. What features/connectivity do you need?

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
if its worth the money, maybe 1200-1500 or more
i dont need wifi streaming etc
i use shield tv to stream all content not even 4k
i will go visit friend of mine with this speakers to try it on onkyo tx-rz1100 but it might be overkill
i saw Integra drx53 in abt open box for 1078 $
other option is to add center speaker ,better subwoofer pb2000 and avr in 600$ range ?

after onky left channel died,i got free old sony 5,1 str db 940 from 2002 so i use it now(it was kinda funny when the volume knob moves after usign volum up on remote,.its so 2000

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wifi streaming is a fairly common feature now on current units and as such is more a free feature to use or just use external source if you want. You coulld possibly save money on an older used avr (or NOS if you can find it) that doesn't have that or 4k (or Atmos) if you don't need such. That's why I asked just what your setup consists of. Still in the dark as to what you want to connect to it in terms of source and display (other than your shield tv), tho.

If you need a center a third D11 could be a good option. The PB2000 would be a big step up on sub. There are $600 avrs that could do well enough in any case altho availability is starting to change things up....

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
im planning to use 2 speakes and sub for now, add center and 2 back speakers later,
would be nice if i can biamp front speakers from avr
dt makes new center d5c i might add it to the system, or any other center but im not in rush(but the step would be adding 3 speakers to utilize 5 channel

i don't have space for that in my living room for noe

im looking at monolith 7x200 as preamp,do i need avr with xlr inputs ?like Yamaha 2080 ?
i know it takes time to build system and i would like to get something i can hold into
i could use cheaper avr and replace it in the future for HDMI 2.1devices

I always look for good quality products that will last years if i add 2k $ for 1 good item

would u buy some newer avr to test it and compare to old avr ?or buy stuff like monolith and add it to old avr

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
would be nice if i can biamp front speakers from avr

im looking at monolith 7x200 as preamp
Bi-Amping would benefit you nothing with your speakers

That amp is Overkill with your speakers. A good AVR will perform

Last edited:
K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
I'm not saying I will hold them forever..it's big upgrade to what I had before.i wish I could hear it to see if there is any difference in sound with biamping.they put it into speakers maybe it's just gimmick to sell product

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
Bi-Amping would benefit you nothing with your speakers

That amp is Overkill with your speakers. A good AVR will perform
What would you recommend as good.
And what does it mean mid fi reciver
I could end up adding different speakers to front and move dt to back

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
I could get 3600 from abt open box for 848 with full 3 yrs warranty .
There is also one integra dx53 open box for 1078$ I know nothing about this brand
So mid fi means 900-1500$ avr in dollars ?or it's about quality like 4500-6500 ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What kinds of sources (disc players, turntable, etc) ? No 4k involved at all nor Atmos?

Back speakers come after you add side speakers (5.1 uses surrounds to the sides, 7.1 add rear surrounds). The third same speaker for center is often better than the generally compromised (for fitting under a tv) center speakers, too.

The Monolith 7ch is a power amp, not a pre-amp, but would require any avr you choose to have a full set of pre-outs. Passive bi-amping is a waste of wire IMO, much more about marketing for both avrs and speakers. The age of the avr has to do with features more than anything else, altho pre-outs used to be more prevalent in receivers at one point.

ps Mid-fi is a bullshit phrase.....it is hi-fi but doesn't cost enough for those who believe higher prices mean higher fidelity. :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So mid fi means 900-1500$ avr in dollars ?or it's about quality like 4500-6500 ?
I don't know where you get this term Mid-Fi from.
Denon produces a good quality receiver in all price points. So do Marantz and Yamaha.

I just think that 3600 is a good receiver based on what you're saying about future upgrades. What you are working with today. It's a great receiver that would last you a long time

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all for answers
My old tv doesn't want to die so no 4 k .I was thinking to get one with 120 hz panel and 2.1 hdmi for vrr support but the newer models too pricey and will end up with 2 tvs..my place is limited .my storage is full of tools up to ceiling

For the third center same as r and L.d11 has offsets on twitters so idk if it will affect center channel.plus I would have to replace all 3 and move current to the sides/back

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
What kinds of sources (disc players, turntable, etc) ? No 4k involved at all nor Atmos?

Back speakers come after you add side speakers (5.1 uses surrounds to the sides, 7.1 add rear surrounds). The third same speaker for center is often better than the generally compromised (for fitting under a tv) center speakers, too.

The Monolith 7ch is a power amp, not a pre-amp, but would require any avr you choose to have a full set of pre-outs. Passive bi-amping is a waste of wire IMO, much more about marketing for both avrs and speakers. The age of the avr has to do with features more than anything else, altho pre-outs used to be more prevalent in receivers at one point.

ps Mid-fi is a bullshit phrase.....it is hi-fi but doesn't cost enough for those who believe higher prices mean higher fidelity. :)
So the avr I choose should have 7 channel preamp ?just in case .should I get one with xlr ?only model I saw is yamaha 2080/3080
My bad it's ca 5200 so another 1$ up to swallow .doable but questionable since the electronics doesn't last long nowadays

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the avr I choose should have 7 channel preamp ?just in case .should I get one with xlr ?only model I saw is yamaha 2080/3080
My bad it's ca 5200 so another 1$ up to swallow .doable but questionable since the electronics doesn't last long nowadays
The avr would need a full set of pre-outs to use an amp like the Monolith 7. XLR is largely unnecessary unless you have long interconnect runs or for some reason a lot of RFI issues. The Yamaha 3080 only has 2 xlr input/output terminals so only appropriate for a 2ch amp that also has xlr input if you really want or need xlr. The Yamaha pre-pro has a full set, tho. No reason to expect the electronics to not last long if you take good care of them....except in the sense technology could possibly progress to where you want to upgrade to the newer tech. I'm using a variety of older avrs, none with Atmos/4k capabilities as none of my displays are capable nor am I a gamer nor have any immediate plans to upgrade.

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
The avr would need a full set of pre-outs to use an amp like the Monolith 7. XLR is largely unnecessary unless you have long interconnect runs or for some reason a lot of RFI issues. The Yamaha 3080 only has 2 xlr input/output terminals so only appropriate for a 2ch amp that also has xlr input if you really want or need xlr. The Yamaha pre-pro has a full set, tho. No reason to expect the electronics to not last long if you take good care of them....except in the sense technology could possibly progress to where you want to upgrade to the newer tech. I'm using a variety of older avrs, none with Atmos/4k capabilities as none of my displays are capable nor am I a gamer nor have any immediate plans to upgrade.
So what would you do in my place with old reciver and two pairs of speakers and sub from old htbox system ?.would you buy new avr so you can fully enjoy your speakers 20-200W at 4 ohm .I do listen at 20% volume from this old sony and it's loud..
Maybe I will connect three more speakers to find out but then front one might be underpowered ? Or I'm wrong

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are they the same price or ? They're very similar in any case. I'm not choosing, tho :)

Just a number without the specification basis limits the usefulness of the number. At what impedance? What distortion level? How many channels driven? Generally you'll want to compare like specs to like specs. What many expect to compare is the wattage per channel with 2 channels driven with a low THD (like in the low hundredths of a percent, say .01 to .08 % for example). I'd generally use the manual on the manufacturer's site to see the actual ratings and spec of the ratings but seems the website is having issues. The company has also just made a sweeping change in USA distribution/support.

So what would you do in my place with old reciver and two pairs of speakers and sub from old htbox system ?.would you buy new avr so you can fully enjoy your speakers 20-200W at 4 ohm .I do listen at 20% volume from this old sony and it's loud..
Maybe I will connect three more speakers to find out but then front one might be underpowered ? Or I'm wrong
I use a similar old Sony in a spare bedroom and it works fine with the gear I'm using it with. As long as your other gear works with that old Sony in terms of connections and your needs, it should hold you for now. Underpowered if you exceed the capabilities of the unit by twisting the volume dial too high perhaps but at 20% it does not sound like that's a concern for you right now as long as it sounds good at that level (and hard to know what 20 means as Sony doesn't use a scale that's very comparable to other units but I have an idea as my Sony has a funky volume scale but may not be the same as yours....)

In any case I'd concentrate on speakers/subs rather than electronics if funds are limited.

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
Yes I was thinking it's broken .it was enough for me. At 9% power from 10 feet away .I use this crap app on phone all meter to check and it was around 89 db
It was kinda funny when knob spins when u use remote.i had to tell my daughter it's harry potter magic
All listed avr 3600h 4500 h about same price 100$ difference .open box on 3600 was 848 plus tax.integra 1078 and 4500 1149 I think
I just didn't test this old sony with 5 channels driven.i guess there will be less power for front speakers isn't ?
Are you familiar with avr that shut down channels if speaker not connected and gives more power to the front one ? Or it's just high end stuff

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why were you thinking it's broken? Percentage is a poor way to judge volume as you don't have a reference as a percentage of anything except maybe the max position of the knob. Most avrs use dB based volume controls referenced to the THX standard....Sony didn't do this for some reason. What actual readings on the dial might be more helpful (they're not percentages, they're still likely dB based, just hard to know the range) . Motorized control knobs can look kind of odd using the remote.

4500 for that price spread for me, slightly better amp section in any case altho a slightly older design....I'd be hard put to know if there's any tech feature/advantage that you might want that might be in the 3600, tho. Denon site has a comparison tool....

AVRs and even many power amps have a single power supply, so the more demand from more channels the less there is to spread around so to speak, but the specifications should tell you the details of its limits. All channels driven is not generally a real world situation for music/movies either, tho....altho folk who like all-channel stereo settings loud for music, particularly with full range speakers and no sub. For surround movies/music the surrounds just have less needs. The front three, particularly the center, is where the power demands will be.

Somewhat depends on spl levels you need for the speakers you get at the distances you listen from....try this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to get an idea of the relationship. OTOH for just 2ch stereo that power supply dedicated to just 2 channels will yield it's highest output. You can use bench tests of avrs to get an idea of power at (typically) 4 or 8 ohm impedance, number of channels driven, clipping, etc....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis