Demand D11 ,need new AVR

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
Why were you thinking it's broken? Percentage is a poor way to judge volume as you don't have a reference as a percentage of anything except maybe the max position of the knob. Most avrs use dB based volume controls referenced to the THX standard....Sony didn't do this for some reason. What actual readings on the dial might be more helpful (they're not percentages, they're still likely dB based, just hard to know the range) . Motorized control knobs can look kind of odd using the remote.

4500 for that price spread for me, slightly better amp section in any case altho a slightly older design....I'd be hard put to know if there's any tech feature/advantage that you might want that might be in the 3600, tho. Denon site has a comparison tool....

AVRs and even many power amps have a single power supply, so the more demand from more channels the less there is to spread around so to speak, but the specifications should tell you the details of its limits. All channels driven is not generally a real world situation for music/movies either, tho....altho folk who like all-channel stereo settings loud for music, particularly with full range speakers and no sub. For surround movies/music the surrounds just have less needs. The front three, particularly the center, is where the power demands will be.

Somewhat depends on spl levels you need for the speakers you get at the distances you listen from....try this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to get an idea of the relationship. OTOH for just 2ch stereo that power supply dedicated to just 2 channels will yield it's highest output. You can use bench tests of avrs to get an idea of power at (typically) 4 or 8 ohm impedance, number of channels driven, clipping, etc....
So I did put info of my setup .idk if this sony is 100 w per channel 5.1 and it came out at 106.7 at 10 ft

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
so i did connect 2 more speakres to back surround and the only should i got is from front r/l speaker as surroud
nothing from back.both front and back is at 120hz crossover
i did watch some movies from disney plus avengers etc but couldnt hear anythign from back speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
so i did connect 2 more speakres to back surround and the only should i got is from front r/l speaker as surroud
nothing from back.both front and back is at 120hz crossover
i did watch some movies from disney plus avengers etc but couldnt hear anythign from back speakers
Did you start with page 16 of the manual and follow all the guidelines for setup? What sound modes were you using?

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
I did ...when I performed test tone no sound is coming from back ls rs speakers.it says to set from 8 ohm to 4 ohm for front speakers.but to use a+b it needs to be 8 ohm .I did try swap cables different modes and no sound is coming from surround.i did connect speaker to speaker b and it works.just the rear speaker no signal
I might have to reconnect old avr and test it .I just noticed I cna use set B for my front in my old only.since A left frontchannel stopped working
I did purchase 4500x but I'm thinking to return it and wait little bit more

Last edited:
K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
Ps why when I do tone test center is on channel b and front on a .is it always like that ? Avr move speakers to different channel ?
When I did connect surrond back it worker in test tone only one time.then I hang it on wall and stoped working.did check wires .looks like there is no signal from avr to speakers even in test tone

K

KulkieT

Audioholic Intern
one more think this old sony ,i did test temperature at watching movie and it was over 110f .thermometer went over scale.should i worry about ? i only run 3 speakers and sub
is this 4 ohm fronts too much to handle ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis