Definitive Technology

A

audiovette

Enthusiast
Hi everybody, I need your opinion on following speaker system. I’m looking into DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY:
BP 7004
C/L/R 2300
BPVX
SUPERCUBE I
What do you think about them, or maybe you have other suggestions. I listen to all kinds of music and watch movies. I’m trying to have a system that would accommodate both. Please help !!!!!!!
:(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I am not a big Def Tech fan. I would look at Paradigm, Energy, B&W, Monitor Audio, MB Quart(if your system is 4ohm stable), and they say Axiom is good. I have not heard Axiom myself.

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I have the BP7000sc, CLR3000 & BPVX/P Definitive Setup and I could not be happier! If your system is more for HT than music I think they are top contenders for sure. For me nothing outperformed them except the Canton Reference Karat speakers which were about 5K more expensive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
From what I heard when I was doing research Def Tech has some of the best speakers on the planet for home theater. One of the big things you get with them is excellent value because they don't use a lot of exotic woods and cabinetry in their designs. The money you spend is on high quality speakers, not a pretty face. So, while they aren't the best looking, their basic black allows your money to go into what matters most: the best damn audio possible.

Now, I am NOT a big fan of speakers with built in amplifiers for a sub. Not that the speaker sounds bad, but because it really is a major point of failure in your system and you must have power outlets wherever a speaker is placed. They still sound great though. I personally went for the BP-30 which was their flagship non-sub/power speaker from last year (also CLR-2000 & 2 BPX surrounds). The difference between them and my HTIB system was dramatic, and many good home theater setups ($40,000+) used Def Tech speakers and sounded easily as good as the nice B&W rooms and others that I have been a part of setup for.

I think your cash is very well spent with Def Tech and if you audition them and like them, then that is a big part of what matters. A LOT more bang for the buck of companies like B&W.

A

audiovette

Enthusiast
Thanks everybody for the help. What do you think about Axioms and 4 ohms, would they work with Denon that is rated at 8. :confused:

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
DefTech speakers tend to inspire passionate opinions, both pro and con, as a result of their bipolar design. You either like the type of soundstage provided by bipolars or not. The conventional wisdom is that bipolars provide an expansive, deep soundstage, but without the ability to provide precise "localization" of the individual voices/instruments of the mix. Both are offshoots of the relatively higher percentage of sound energy that is coming from reflections, in the case of bipolars.

The other issue is that bipolars normally require placement in front of a wall, usually with a prescribed optimal distance between the speaker and the wall behind it. As such, they are best used in rooms where they can be in front of a flat wall, as opposed to being in a corner, or out in the middle of an open space. By the same token, given a reasonable room arrangement, bipolars tend to have a more forgiving "sweet spot" for the listener(s), so that you don't have the phenomenon where moving your head a foot to one side changes the sound completely, or causes the stereo image to collapse. (On the other, other hand, you won't get that magical feeling of having the sound image pop into place when your head is in just the right spot, either!)

I own DefTechs, and like the other poster above, they are ones without built-in subs. Despite the conventional wisdom, I think they do a pretty good job of localizing individual components of the stereo mix. Even though there is still a "sweet spot", the tonal balance stays pretty decent even when well off to the side of the sweet spot, so that everyone on the sofa gets pretty good sound, not just the person in the center :). When I bought them some years ago, I auditioned two other bipolar brands - Mirage and a line of bipolars that Paradigm had at that time. I preferred the DefTechs over the similarly-priced Mirages and bipolar Paradigms. But, there are a number of "monopolar" speakers that sound really good to me, including some Martin-Logan models, Vienna Acoustics, and some others.

Speaking of soundstages, I had a pair of the old Large Advents back in college (mid-70's), and put them outdoors once for a party. They were separated by about 20 feet, and toed-in a bit. When you stood equidistant between the speakers, and walked backward (staying equidistant, but getting farther away from the speakers) you would hit a sweet spot every 7-10 feet or so, where the soundstage all of a sudden expanded (even when you got 50 or more feet away from the speakers). I'm not sure why this wouldn't have been true all along the "equidistant" line, but it was a very distinct effect.

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I love my Def Tech speakers, and hopefully in the next few years I will be up and running with the 7000 series speakers.

~Bob

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Auditions Def Techs myself...

Obviously you need to listen for yourself and decide what's right for you ears and budget. As a previous poster mentions speakers like Def Techs people tend to love'm or hate'm so you need to see what category you fall into.

Personally I hated'm. I compared them to B&W 700 series, Paragims 100's,
and Polk LSi's in the same shop and they finished in last place of the four to my ears. Sounded artificial with various mid to high freqencies bouncing all over the room off various walls. I guess that's their way of creating a soundstage. They reminded my of Bose 601's from the 80's.

They didn't sound horrible...but at that price point ($1200-$1800) I expected something less gadgety. The winner in my listening test was the B&W 703's.
Unfortunetely I decided they were out of my price range so I went with my second choice the LSi15 which sound great to me!

Good luck!

S

sax

Audiophyte
I'm planning to puchase these items for HT systems soon and want to see what other may think.

Pioneer VSX74TXVi A/V Receiver
Pioneer PD-F27 301 Disc CD Player (not DVD Player)
Pioneer CT-05D Double Auto Reverse Cassette Deck
Definitive Technology BP7002 Front speakers
Definitive Technology BP7004 Rear speakers
Definitive Technology CLR2300 Center speaker
Definitive Technology BPVX Sourround sides
Definitive Technology SuperCube II Sub
Panamax MAX5500EX Line conitioner & surge

:)

S

sax

Audiophyte
Would I still need "SuperCube II Sub" since BP7004 & BP7002 already comes with sub on them?

D

deftech

Junior Audioholic
Weather or not you "need" a super cube is up to you. I have an older version of the 7002's and have an svs sub as well. The built ins just didnt go low enough for me. After being on this sight and others I will say dt's are loved or hated. I like my setup very much but they do comprimise pinpoint imaging. They do require breathing room, they sound awful if too close to corners.

Zuke

Zuke

Junior Audioholic
sax said:
Would I still need "SuperCube II Sub" since BP7004 & BP7002 already comes with sub on them?
I would get it. Its easier to turn the bass down than to go back to the store and buy more bass.

S

sax

Audiophyte
OK Thanks :) -next question....

I'm going to be putting SuperCube II on 15x16 room that is connect to nook which is 11x17 and kitchen which 14x14, would SuperCube II do the job to fill all of these rooms? :D

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I thought I read in one of the earlier posts that you'll be using this setup for a 50/50 mix of movies/music: have auditioned the DefTecs for music yet? I ask only because at one time I was looking at the BP2002 (IIRC) to replace my Promonitor 80 fronts, and just couldn't get past what they did to my tunes-I thought they mangled the soundstage, and muffled the mid-range. There are some very nice options in your price range that do music quite well (B&W 700 series, Paradigm "S", the Spendor S5e [I've got 2 pair of these], Polks, Tannoy Eyeris, Totem, etc.), yet also provide surround and center speakers for multi-channel music as well as movies. By the way, I really liked my DefTec Monitor system-I thought for the price, it gave some great sound: I just didn't think the same thing about the towers. Different strokes, I guess.

Bryan...if you set up for music, the movies usually take care of themselves...

S

sax

Audiophyte
:) Thanks folks, for all your help on this.. :)

Here's what I have end up on getting...

Pioneer VSX74TXVi A/V Receiver
Definitive Technology BP7001 Front speakers
Definitive Technology BP7002 Rear speakers
Definitive Technology CLR2500 Center speaker
Panamax MAX5500 Line conitioner & surge

SuperCub I will have to wait...

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Listen, I have BP 7000SC's and I have auditioned the 7001's as well. There are a couple of posters in this thread that would have you believe that Def Techs unilaterally are incapable of producing a detailed articulate soundstage because of their bipolar arrangement. I doubt that any of these posters have actually auditioned the 7001's or 7000SC's; in the case of the 7000SC's they are hard to find (at least here in Seattle). Most Hi-Fi shops carry up to the 7002 line while fine sounding (I have them in my game room as mains) certainly do not perform to the degree of their big brothers. The 7001's and 7000SC's are terrific for music -- the caveat being they demand careful placement and tuning of the onboard subs. Last night I was listening to Buena Vista Social Club (which is Cuban dance and ballad music) -- often recorded one take with the entire arrangement in the same room together. It is fantastically recorded and mixed (I believe Ry Cooder won a Grammy for his efforts). I was sitting there listening to the tracks: "Pueblo Nuevo", "Dos Gardenias", and "Orgulllecida" in two channel Pure Direct and I swear to you when I closed my eyes I thought there was a grand piano approximately 4 feet away center and just to the left, with a viola off about 6 or 7 feet away and to the right. Each percussive instrument was individually discernable and locateable, and more importantly sounded real as opposed to recorded and reproduced. It is very easy to overpower the midrange with too much sub -- less is more. The point being you will love your 7001's, take the time to set them up properly and ignore the horsesh1t about how they are only good for movies; ridiculous. Lastly, I would highly recommend an additional sub for deep down earth shaking lows -- the 7001's have the equivalent of a Supercube I in them -- while great, it won't give you the extension a say Supercube Reference will. From your goodie list it appears you can afford one ;) I have heard a lot of the guys here talk about SVS subs too so maybe you could do some research about a similar performing sub that would save you a little money -- the SC References run about $1700 I think. Take care and enjoy your system.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I always thought the reason for the yay or nay with DT was because of the shady FR's.

I have seem measurements, and it wasn't pretty. SupercubeIII -3dB point was 36Hz or something...

17Hz -10dB in room going down a hill maybe... :rolleyes:

SheepStar

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Sheep, I would like to know who did this measurement and how reliable it was (equipment wise).

With my BP7006s playing sine wave off a pc via coax digital, I was able to get 97dB at 20Hz and about 65-70dB at 15Hz. Using Radioshack Digital DB meter A Weighted Fast.

~Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis