Definitive Technology

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have a def tech set from about 10 years ago

BP 2002s
CRL 2002
BPX surrounds

Use them for 100% HT and SACD/DVD-A and LOVE them. They have been in a variety of set-ups over the years, but have finally settled into my dedicated HT. As mentioned they need careful tuning and they can and will produce a deep soundstage and good localization of dialouge. You will never get the pinpoint accuracy of direct monopoles, but thats not what they are designed for.

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
When I listened to Def Techs I absolutely hated them. I felt they were very "tinny" and muddy in bass response. The higher frequencies were great, but everything else just sounded so inaccurate.

Now, this is MY opinion - they may sound completely different and better to somebody else.

S

skasol

Junior Audioholic
I really like my Def techs, they sounded very good, like some other people have said here, you have to carefully place them and tune them, but you will love it once you get that taken care off, nobody here could give you a better advice than to go down to the shop and listen to them yourself. good luck.

SMM

SMM

Audioholic
sax said:
I'm planning to puchase these items for HT systems soon and want to see what other may think.

Pioneer VSX74TXVi A/V Receiver
Pioneer PD-F27 301 Disc CD Player (not DVD Player)
Pioneer CT-05D Double Auto Reverse Cassette Deck
Definitive Technology BP7002 Front speakers
Definitive Technology BP7004 Rear speakers
Definitive Technology CLR2300 Center speaker
Definitive Technology BPVX Sourround sides
Definitive Technology SuperCube II Sub
Panamax MAX5500EX Line conitioner & surge

:)
I was looking a a similar setup today. Can you tell me the price that your paying and the dealer. Thks!

S

sax

Audiophyte
Here's what I have end up on getting and all for $6,500

Pioneer VSX74TXVi A/V Receiver Retail $1,500.00
Definitive Technology BP7001/Front speakers Retail $3,498.00
Definitive Technology BP7002/Rear speakers Retail $2,198.00
Definitive Technology CLR2500/Center speaker Retail $799.00
Panamax MAX5500 Line conditioner & surge Retail $1,000.00

Dealer site http://www.reliableaudiovideo.com and ask for Tony for better $$$$.

Still shopping around for
Pioneer PD-F27 301 Disc CD Player (not DVD Player) or looking into older model PD-65/75.
Pioneer CT-05D Double Auto Reverse Cassette Deck
:D

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
For those interested, I've got a mint-condition cherry CLR2300 for sale for a song...PM me if interested. It's a superb center channel speaker, but I replaced it when I replaced my front speakers.

J.

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
def tech

S.Cane said:
For those who love their Def Techs, make yourselves known and list your setup! :)

http://www.frappr.com/definitivetechnology
I have had definitive speakers for three years now and I love them.
Granted if I had the money B&W would be a step up up, but dollar for dollar definitive puts out a hell of a product.
I intend to keep these speakers for long time. Why would'nt I ? They look great and sound damn good. I have not had one person in my HT suggest a need for them to be replaced.

Definitive 2004’s mains
Definitive Clr2001 center
Definitive BPX1.2’s surrounds
Definitive BPX1.2 center rear
Definitive PF 1500 sub-woofer
Infocus 7205 projector
Da-lite 0 gain screen
Comcast HD Digital Box
Monster 3500 surge protector
Monster 3600 surge protector
Yamaha 3300 receiver
Toshiba 5 disc DVD,CD player
Sony 777 DVD, CD player
Pioneer Elite Laser disc player
Pioneer Elite Cd player
Marantz RC 5000 remote
Mit & Monster cables

S

sax

Audiophyte
FrankF
Which model of Pioneer Elite Cd player do you have? I'm looking to buy Pioneer Elite PD-F27 301 Disc CD Player or some older model PD-65/75..

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
Mine's similar too.

Mains - BP7004
Center - CLR2500
Surrounds - Mirage OM-R2
Sub - Supercube Reference
Receiver - Elite 56TXi

Keep the towers about 14"-16" from the wall, they sound great. These speakers - and the supercubes for that matter, are very sensitive to positioning. I experimented for several weeks before I found the sweet spot for all this stuff and let me say, it was worth all the trouble - I'm very happy. Although I got a little excessive with the sub (the supercube I would have been plenty), It'll fit nicely when I move into a larger theater room. I keep it at 2 on the gain and it literally shakes the foundation of my house all the way below 20Hz without breaking a sweat. I find the 7004 towers do a great job of hitting accurate & flat to 30Hz so I've set the receiver crossover to 50Hz, despite Lucas' THX recommendation of 80Hz. The sub is absolutely beautiful and smooth at 50Hz and below, blending with the 7004's! Surprisingly musical for a 14" driver, although in my opinion it is still intended for HT.

B

brambo

Audiophyte
interesting article about base response on def techs

I have 4 BP20s...the 7000SC cabinets before they put in the class D subwoofer. I run them biamped/bi-wired and when you use the floor spikes for the speaker you can get them down to 12-22hz.

went with a class AB switched AMP at 400-600watts for each speaker. they sound fine. you just need to run one of those warbletone frequency programs and set you decibel level and EQ your room out.

the speakers need to be placed 6-8 inches from the rear wall or the towers will not sound properly (the bipolar acoustic attributes of the speaker is distorted).

stereophile magazine sells the warble tone EQ cd and it along with a reasonably priced digital sound meter will get you where you need. if you are running the speakers without a banded equalizer/preamp then its all up to the room acoustics.

hope this helps... even the BP20s have a great kick drum/floor tom tom sound on percussion. you have to tune them to get the vocals (midrange) and the higher tweeter audio not to bleed over (aka try a really good piano recording).

these work great on everything I ever played on them. you just need to EQ the room. at 2500 watts I don't need to worry about decibels or base... no sub is needed - it sounds like you would expect. you are setting in a room and the guy is sitting 5-6 or six feet in front of you playing acoustic guitar.

as a recent friend told me...ROCK ON! def techs are fine. send a note into sandy goss, yes at def tech even the president of the company answers the customer service line on his products and he is a really neat guy to talk to.

hope this helps,

mb

NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
I've sold def tech for a while.. they have some really nice speakers and some ok ones.. thier supercubes are great and i love thier CLR 2300,2500, 3000 center channels. The only supercube i don't like much is the supercube2.. the 3 and the 1 reference and up seem to be more durable than the 2. we used to get that one back whereas the others stay out.
If you're 70% home theater or more.. the def techs are excellent speakers, BP 7006's and up.. although i think if it were me.. i'd do the BP-10's and a supercube. Seems those powered towers never have enough for me and i think BP-10s and a supercube work out to the same money as their powered tower in the same size and will sound much better.
my 2 cents.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis