Definitive Technology Speakers - ARE THEY THAT GOOD?

B

Bunion

Enthusiast
Nothing like a post 11 years after the fact:
I think Def. Tech. sound great. Maybe a bit on the bright side. My favorite so far is the SM55. Incredible bass. I'm using 6 for the front 3 channels.
(Don't bother trying to figure that one out)
BP6 for the surrounds. They really fill the room with sound.

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone have Definitive speakers? I am thinking of changing my next purchase from Axioms Epic 80 with a JBL Fathom112 or 113 to the following but I feel like there is too much information missing on the technical specifications.

The speakers indicate "campatible with 8 OHMS. The frequency response gives no +/- db reading. I am sure they will sound great but I was hoping for a lot of feedback. My wife is "allowing" me to do two rooms on my budget. I'd rather get one room done right and leave her with the bose cube system in the living room. I have read lots of reviws on the definitives and am pretty impressed by the reviews; however, Axiom had a lot of good reviews also and I can't differentiate. the more reviews I read about speakers the more they all sound the same. Any help out there?

System Denon 3808 CI & 3802
New amp soon - Emotiva XP2A
Room Volume - 8700 cuft

Axioms Considering - Their Epic 80 in 7.0 with fathom F112 or 113. but can do two rooms

Definitve Technology speakers considering.
I am seriously considering the following instead of the previous but I am a little concerned about the fact that thetech specs are a little lacking. I also have an opportunity to purchase these locally.

Fronts:
BP7001SC Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
Built in Class D 1500W amp for subwoofer
Dimensions: 8-7/16" W x 15" D x 48" H
Freq. Response: 13 Hz – 30 kHz
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 30 – 600 Watts/channel
Driver Complement:
– Four 6-1/2" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters with silk surrounds.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" infrasonic radiators.
Efficiency: 92 dB
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black or Golden Cherry
Retail: $1899 ea.

Surround R/L Channels
BP7004 Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
Freq. Response: 16 Hz – 30 kHz
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 20 – 300 Watts/channel
Driver Complement:
– Two 5-1/4" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters with silk surrounds.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" infrasonic powered by 300W internal Amp
Efficiency: 92 dB
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black
Retail: $849 ea.

Center
C/L/R 2500
Specifications:
Response: 21 – 30 kHz.
Nominal Imp.: 4 – 8 ohms.
Rec. amp: 20 – 300 watts.
Built-in sub amp: 150 watts RMS.
Efficiency: 91 dB
Drivers:
– One cast basket 8" sub with one 150-Watt RMS amplifier
– Two cast basket 5-1/4" upper-bass/midrange drivers
– One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
Auto On/Off: Signal sensing.
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black. Tri-wireable.
Retail: $899 ea.

Surround Backs
BPX
Specifications:
Response: 38 – 30 kHz.
Imp.: 4 – 8 ohms.
Rec. amp: 15 – 350 watts.
Drivers:
– Four cast-basket 5-1/4" bass/mid
– Two 1" pure aluminum domes.
Retail: $499 ea.

Subwoofer
SuperCube Reference:
Frequency Response: 11 Hz – 200Hz
Driver Complement: One 14" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 14" infrasonic radiators
Built-in Amplifier: 1800 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D Amplifier
Low Pass Crossover: 24 dB/octave continuously adjustable variable (40 – 150 Hz) plus Unfiltered LFE direct coupled input
High Pass Crossover: 12dB/octave continuously variable (40 – 150 hz)
Speaker level: 6 dB octave (80 Hz)
Suggested Retail: $1899 ea.
I have owned a dozen DefTech speakers from powered towers to the original BP20 super tower. While I enjoyed the sound, I suffered so many amp issues that I dropped them all. I’m using RBH Reference In my main room with a massive Pioneer VSX-59txi driving them. There is no comparison. My SuperCube III is a great sounding sub, but doesn’t come anywhere near the published 16 Hz. It’s more like 32Hz. My BP20 has a published low of 18 Hz, but it’s lucky to hit 40hz with any authority. They fudge their numbers big time.

Now my reference RBH sub, it’s published low is 18 Hz, yet I have tested it at 10hz.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have owned a dozen DefTech speakers from powered towers to the original BP20 super tower. While I enjoyed the sound, I suffered so many amp issues that I dropped them all. I’m using RBH Reference In my main room with a massive Pioneer VSX-59txi driving them. There is no comparison. My SuperCube III is a great sounding sub, but doesn’t come anywhere near the published 16 Hz. It’s more like 32Hz. My BP20 has a published low of 18 Hz, but it’s lucky to hit 40hz with any authority. They fudge their numbers big time.

Now my reference RBH sub, it’s published low is 18 Hz, yet I have tested it at 10hz.
Did you actually measure any output at 10hz? Or just watch the driver? I have an 8” Yamaha in one of my systems that moves when you send it 10hz but doesn’t actually do $hit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis