Definitive Technology Speakers - ARE THEY THAT GOOD?

D

Demonster

Enthusiast
Does anyone have Definitive speakers? I am thinking of changing my next purchase from Axioms Epic 80 with a JBL Fathom112 or 113 to the following but I feel like there is too much information missing on the technical specifications.

The speakers indicate "campatible with 8 OHMS. The frequency response gives no +/- db reading. I am sure they will sound great but I was hoping for a lot of feedback. My wife is "allowing" me to do two rooms on my budget. I'd rather get one room done right and leave her with the bose cube system in the living room. I have read lots of reviws on the definitives and am pretty impressed by the reviews; however, Axiom had a lot of good reviews also and I can't differentiate. the more reviews I read about speakers the more they all sound the same. Any help out there?

System Denon 3808 CI & 3802
New amp soon - Emotiva XP2A
Room Volume - 8700 cuft

Axioms Considering - Their Epic 80 in 7.0 with fathom F112 or 113. but can do two rooms

Definitve Technology speakers considering.
I am seriously considering the following instead of the previous but I am a little concerned about the fact that thetech specs are a little lacking. I also have an opportunity to purchase these locally.

Fronts:
BP7001SC Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
Built in Class D 1500W amp for subwoofer
Dimensions: 8-7/16" W x 15" D x 48" H
Freq. Response: 13 Hz – 30 kHz
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 30 – 600 Watts/channel
Driver Complement:
– Four 6-1/2" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– Two 1" pure aluminum dome tweeters with silk surrounds.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" infrasonic radiators.
Efficiency: 92 dB
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black or Golden Cherry
Retail: $1899 ea.

Surround R/L Channels
BP7004 Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
Freq. Response: 16 Hz – 30 kHz
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Rec. Assoc. Amp.: 20 – 300 Watts/channel
Driver Complement:
– Two 5-1/4" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" infrasonic powered by 300W internal Amp
Efficiency: 92 dB
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black
Retail: $849 ea.

Center
C/L/R 2500
Specifications:
Response: 21 – 30 kHz.
Nominal Imp.: 4 – 8 ohms.
Rec. amp: 20 – 300 watts.
Built-in sub amp: 150 watts RMS.
Efficiency: 91 dB
Drivers:
– One cast basket 8" sub with one 150-Watt RMS amplifier
– Two cast basket 5-1/4" upper-bass/midrange drivers
– One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter
Auto On/Off: Signal sensing.
Finish: Piano-Gloss Black. Tri-wireable.
Retail: $899 ea.

Surround Backs
BPX
Specifications:
Response: 38 – 30 kHz.
Imp.: 4 – 8 ohms.
Rec. amp: 15 – 350 watts.
Drivers:
– Four cast-basket 5-1/4" bass/mid
– Two 1" pure aluminum domes.
Retail: $499 ea.

Subwoofer
SuperCube Reference:
Frequency Response: 11 Hz – 200Hz
Driver Complement: One 14" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 14" infrasonic radiators
Built-in Amplifier: 1800 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D Amplifier
Low Pass Crossover: 24 dB/octave continuously adjustable variable (40 – 150 Hz) plus Unfiltered LFE direct coupled input
High Pass Crossover: 12dB/octave continuously variable (40 – 150 hz)
Speaker level: 6 dB octave (80 Hz)
Suggested Retail: $1899 ea.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The specifications on Definitive Technology are overblown. I would not buy from a company that is that misleading, regardless of the real performance.

SheepStar

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The specifications on Definitive Technology are overblown. I would not buy from a company that is that misleading, regardless of the real performance.

SheepStar
Agreed. I have found that DefTech's FR measurements do not conform to industry standards. You can be that the +/-3db is not included for a reason. DefTech is no longer on my list of trustworthy manufacturers. Some people here absolutely rave about them, but to each his own.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Had Def Tech before and just upgraded ....

.... to the BP7002 towers. Have the CLR3000 center on order. My surrounds, because in a open den are, Def Tech Def Tech UIWBPA (four) surround in ceiling. I have an older smaller sub right now (DefTech ProSub 100) and older center speaker (Def Tech ProCenter 100).

I previously had BP2006 toweres which were quite a bit smaller, but also had the power subs. They sound very good, but the BP7002's are dramatically better. I am sure that the BP7000SCs or BP7001SCs would even be better.

There is a significant difference in the new speakers. I mainly watch HD satllelite and DVDs so I will give you my point of reference.

I was watching the Master's golf yesterday and the sound of the golf club hitting the ball was the same as if you were on the Tee-box. I didn't realize before you couldn't hear that sound or the sound of the babbling brook water hazard. The sound is brilliant and clear at lw and high volume levles.

The subs in the BP7002 towers are very good and after I receive my CLR300 which also has a built in sub, I will probably put off getting a SVS sub for awhile.

Good Luck, if you want some detailed specs on Def Tech and some expert experience one of the forum members AcuDefTechGuy. Just remember, each audiophile forum member becomes enamoured, biased and predjudicial to the particluar speakers they own, so those that own speakers other than Def Tech might give less than positive reviews. However, AcuDefTechGuy is objective and detailed technical information.

I used to have an off-brand speaker that I bought in the early 70s for over $900 per pair. I thought they were great at the time :rolleyes: because I had nothing else to compare them too and they marketed them as having direct reflecting nine 4 1/2 space age paper cones. My Marantz 1060 amp and Dynaco FM5 tuner drove them well at the time.

Again good luck with your speaker purchase :)

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have been using Def Tech BP10Bs and 8Bs in my HT for around 8 years now, and I see no need to "upgrade", ever.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
The 7000 towers are even better

I have been using Def Tech BP10Bs and 8Bs in my HT for around 8 years now, and I see no need to "upgrade", ever.
Hey, Joe the BP10Bs and BP8Bs are very good speakers, but the 7000 series are even better! You like to auditon speakers! If you have a chance see if you can audition the 7000 series speakers and compare them to the BP10s and BP8s.

There is even a significant progression from 7006 to 7004 to 7002 to 7001 to 7000. I had 2006 before which was a older model equivalent to the newer 7006. And there is a significant difference between the 2006 and the 7002 I just upgraded too.

I know they start to get pretty Pricey $$$, but hey you get what you pay for, at least to a certain degree, in SQ.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think they are great for the money. I have plenty of def tech speakers, and I love the bipolar sound.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
of course you dont, try not to be closed minded, cause things change.:cool:

dt lists their specs like polk, which makes it very hard to compare if you cant demo.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, Joe the BP10Bs and BP8Bs are very good speakers, but the 7000 series are even better! You like to auditon speakers! If you have a chance see if you can audition the 7000 series speakers and compare them to the BP10s and BP8s.
I have spent way too much $$$ making changes to my 2-channel system in the last few years (some have turned out to be improvements, others have not.) I don't want to get started down that path with my HT, especially as I am happy with it as is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone have Definitive speakers?
Why, yes, I have Definitive speakers.:D

First of all, I do despise the DefTech website because it doesn't give audiophiles enough information (no linear deviation tolerance +/-3dB, etc.).
You have to actually contact DefTech to get those specs.

Second, if you compare the specs given by the manufacturers vs. the specs done by third party measurements (HTMag, S&V, UltimateAVMag, Sterephile, etc.), you will see that almost ALL of them have significant discrepancies. Of course, the manufacturers' own specs look a lot better. Even when these companies show you DETAILED graphs and specs, 3rd party measurements almost always never match.

Now let's look at the Definitive BP7000SC, BP7001SC, & CLR3000.

If you contact DefTech they will give you the following anechoic response for these 3 speakers: 20Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, 22Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, and 28Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

Home Theater Magazine on the BP7000SC: 22Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

Sound & Vision Mag on BP7001SC: 27Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

Sound & Vision Mag on CLR3000: 28Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

That is EXTREMELY close to the measurements done by DefTech!!!

In fact, the 3rd party measurements for the BP10B & BP8B by Stereo Review were actually BETTER than what DefTech states! DefTech said the BP8Bs & BP10Bs are 35Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and 30Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, respectively. Stereo Review measured 30Hz-20kHz +/-3dB and 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB, respectively. That is FIVE Hz LOWER.

Best thing you can do is actually audition the speakers. Since you have a DefTech dealer near you, you should audition those speakers and see for yourself. Even if the DefTech specs are awesome and all your friends absolutely love DefTech speakers, you should only buy DefTech if you love the way they sound.

But I can definitely understand why some people despise DefTech for not giving more detailed specs and graphs.

Personally, I love the way my Definitive speakers sound. I think they are very smooth, crystal clear, and very FULL-RANGE.

But you be the judge.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fronts:
BP7001SC Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
– Four 6-1/2" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" infrasonic radiators.

Surround R/L Channels
BP7004 Bipolar SuperTower
Specifications:
– Two 5-1/4" high definition cast-magnesium basket polymer upper bass/midrange drivers.
– One 10" long-throw subwoofer coupled to two 10" radiators.

Center
C/L/R 2500
Specifications:
– One cast basket 8" sub with one 150-Watt RMS amplifier
– Two cast basket 5-1/4" upper-bass/midrange drivers
– One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter

Surround Backs
BPX
Specifications:
– Four cast-basket 5-1/4" bass/mid
– Two 1" pure aluminum domes.

Subwoofer
SuperCube Reference:
Driver Complement: One 14" long-throw subwoofer to two 14" radiators
Built-in Amplifier: 1800 watts Digitally-Coupled Class D Amplifier
My thoughts:

In general you want the same size drivers in all your speakers. Example - 1" tweeters & 6.5" midranges. It's not necessary, but recommended.

With the BP7001SCs, I would get the CLR3000, which also has the dual 6.5" midrange drivers.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Demonster, glad to see you’re keeping your options open. You should really audition as many speakers as you can in your area. Since you can audition the DTs, let your ears decide and don’t put too much emphasis on what the specs say. I like the DT speakers and many others out there as well. Other possibilities: Aperion Audio, Ascend Acoustics, Dali, Dynaudio, Energy, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Monitor Audio, NHT, Paradigm, Phase Technology, Polk Audio, PSB, RBH, Rocket, Vandersteen, Vienna Acoustics, etc.

Go for the gusto and leave the wife the Bose.:p If you’re truly looking for a bombastic setup, then I would definitely start with 2 SVS PB13-Ultra subs:eek: and go from there. Just curious, what are you using for the display in this room?

D

Demonster

Enthusiast
Demonster, glad to see you’re keeping your options open. You should really audition as many speakers as you can in your area. Since you can audition the DTs, let your ears decide and don’t put too much emphasis on what the specs say. I like the DT speakers and many others out there as well. Other possibilities: Aperion Audio, Ascend Acoustics, Dali, Dynaudio, Energy, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Monitor Audio, NHT, Paradigm, Phase Technology, Polk Audio, PSB, RBH, Rocket, Vandersteen, Vienna Acoustics, etc.

Go for the gusto and leave the wife the Bose.:p If you’re truly looking for a bombastic setup, then I would definitely start with 2 SVS PB13-Ultra subs:eek: and go from there. Just curious, what are you using for the display in this room?
I have a DLP projector from BenQ (PB6100) projecting on to a white wall at this point need a screen . . . or the right paint?). The unit doubles as a work projector when needed. The screen size ends up being around 6.5' high in widescreen and ~7 feet in 4:3.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Deaf Tech is a modern day Bose. Let the flames begin.:eek:

When you can't get a speaker to do what you want it to, the next best step is to try to get them to point in different directions so you can't actually hear how bad they sound.

No offense meant to any owners, it's just an opinion.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned

When you can't get a speaker to do what you want it to, the next best step is to try to get them to point in different directions so you can't actually hear how bad they sound.

No offense taken, but you lost all credibility with me. I looked and read your posts looking for any indication of what you have; I got tired of reading. Pretty harsh statements to make about Definitive Technology with no information to backup what you say and no alternatives to offer.

I guess I just made big mistake. I just bought a pair of BP7002s at a little higher than the new retail price. Wow I bought new speakers at higher that retail and they are as bad as the Bose 901s I bought in the early seventies. Now I am so sad I made a bad purchase price for deaf tech speakers. Oh well, at least for that price they threw in the CLR3000 for FREE ;) I actually got a great deal!!!

You know they make a Zummo sausage that is pretty good! But it is stuffed with good meat :D

Cheers (Mic Ultra)

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Zumbo is just trying to have a little fun, so let the fun begin.:D

Apparently, Zumbo might be a MB Quart fan boy.:D

So let's give it up for his beloved MB Quart speakers.

According to MB Quart, the ALEXXA S-One has a frequency response of 33 Hz - 32 kHz.

As you can see on this SPL vs. Frequency Response graph, it is actually about 51 Hz – 20 kHz +/-3dB:

http://www.mbquart.com/all/downloads/testberichte/HifiTest_6_06_Alexxa_S1_en.pdf

"Untere Grenzfreqenz (-3dB) 51 Hz" - That’s German for lower frequency response @ -3dB = 51 Hz.

http://www.mbquart.com/all/downloads/testberichte/Stereoplay_11_06_AS_Sone_en.pdf

MB Quart is a bunch of liars and their speakers suck.:D:p:p

P.S. I'm only trying to play along with Zumbo on this.:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I just made big mistake. I just bought a pair of BP7002s at a little higher than the new retail price. Wow I bought new speakers at higher that retail and they are as bad as the Bose 901s I bought in the early seventies.
Cheers (Mic Ultra)
Now I know what a twice baked potato is.:D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
According to MB Quart, the ALEXXA S-One has a frequency response of 33 Hz - 32 kHz.

As you can see on this SPL vs. Frequency Response graph, it is actually about 51 Hz – 20 kHz +/-3dB:
As I am sure all of you know, frequency response specs show the ability of the speaker, but it does not reveal the sound quality.

Quarts FR is not published as +/-3dB, along with many other brands.

One could add a waveguide system to the Quarts in question and get a drastic increase in FR. Or, they could just play with the placement of the drivers. Lets fire them backwards. I think Klipsch used to have a speaker with the woofers firing backwards:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic

Wow. zumbo, you are truly full of sh!t. Yep, I said so. Take it or leave it. My system sounds awesome. Post elsewhere @sshole if you don't have anything worthwhile to add. No offense to any NON-owners.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis