Definitive Technology BP9080 & Yamaha receiver Issue

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Been super busy lately. Just did some more testing. So when I touch any terminals or LFE output the left speaker cuts off. Obviously a bad connection. Just opened it up and saw that one of the soldered points at the eboard has developed a crack. Every time I move a cable (plugging/unplugging) the solder lifts off the board just a hair. See photo. I am mot sure if that can be soldered back up.
I would be looking at new receivers. For connecting to those posts, always use banana plug connectors in the receiver side. It makes it easy to plug and unplug later if you move things around.

D

diyankov

Enthusiast
Been super busy lately. Just did some more testing. So when I touch any terminals or LFE output the left speaker cuts off. Obviously a bad connection. Just opened it up and saw that one of the soldered points at the eboard has developed a crack. Every time I move a cable (plugging/unplugging) the solder lifts off the board just a hair. See photo. I am mot sure if that can be soldered back up.
One more photo - you can see a crack in the green plastic.

Attachments

D

diyankov

Enthusiast
I would be looking at new receivers. For connecting to those posts, always use banana plug connectors in the receiver side. It makes it easy to plug and unplug later if you move things around.
I bad banana plugs and monster cables that were so heavy and thick that they basically damaged the receiver inside from constant pressure on the terminals

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I bad banana plugs and monster cables that were so heavy and thick that they basically damaged the receiver inside from constant pressure on the terminals
I’ve never seen that happen. Usually 14 gauge with locking banana plugs is not heavy. I have 2060 , 770, and 681. And a few other Ysmahas the past 20 years

D

diyankov

Enthusiast
I’ve never seen that happen. Usually 14 gauge with locking banana plugs is not heavy. I have 2060 , 770, and 681. And a few other Ysmahas the past 20 years
Mine are much heavier cables due to the thick double layered insulation. To make things worse, the core of the cable has a solid copper wire wrapped around with thinner wires. See photo of cables.

Attachments

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Mine are much heavier cables due to the thick double layered insulation. To make things worse, the core of the cable has a solid copper wire wrapped around with thinner wires. See photo of cables.
While those are thick and probably quite heavy, as long as the caps are screwed in I don’t see any reason for it to crack the board or damage any part of the receiver. The only way I see that happening is if the receiver was pushed up against the wall and forced the cable to push up against the terminals at an odd angle.

D

diyankov

Enthusiast
While those are thick and probably quite heavy, as long as the caps are screwed in I don’t see any reason for it to crack the board or damage any part of the receiver. The only way I see that happening is if the receiver was pushed up against the wall and forced the cable to push up against the terminals at an odd angle.
Agreed. It has never been pushed against a wall but the caps may have been unscrewed at some point

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good troubleshooting in any case. Monster has been known to kill rca connectors with it's too tight grip at one point, and heavy hdmi cables can take their toll....

D

diyankov

Enthusiast
I hope this is what was causing my problems. The last thing I want is having defective speakers and a shot receiver. I will test everything with another unit soon while I am looking to buy a replacement Yamaha or Denon. Meanwhile I will try to fix this unit just for kicks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis