Definitive Technology 10B with Mythos 3 center vs Martin Login Motion 4, 2, 8 and sub

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Hello, I have been looking at getting a nice set of speakers for my living room entertainment system. My budget is tighter so I have been looking at used setups. Currently there is a pair of DT 10B towers with a Mythos 3 Center Channel for sale that sound pretty good. It wouldn't be a surround system but the bipolar effect of the towers seems to help with that. Or, I found a used Martin Logan surround with Motion 4 fronts, Motion 2 rears, a Motion 8 center and a Dynamo 500 sub. All of that is a little more in cost but at least listening to it I feel like it gives great sound.

Any recommendations on what to look at or which would be better? Overall the room is used for TV/Movie watching but we do music for parties and dinner. Help deciding which way to go would be great. Was hoping to keep cost below a grand, but if there are other options people would recommend that I should consider, lets say under $1500 I would love to hear it.

My room is about 25'x25', has a cathedral ceiling that peaks at 11'.

I would love if I could get away with a really nice 3.1 setup, but was kind of figuring a 5.1 would be nice for the room. I don't really want atmos speakers in my ceiling for my living room. Will wait for my basement to get a theater on that one.

Last edited:
D

drew_351

Enthusiast
I just checked Best Buy again and looks like they have a decent sale on a bunch of the Martin Logan speakers. Should I even be considering the Motion SLM 4" for $413/each or Motion 40's on clearance for $650/each? Kinda increases my budget a bit but I could go to my wife and beg! I just want something that I am going to be happy with for the long term. I had looked at the smaller speakers and in the store (which is horrible environment to listen in) they sounded the best to me. Of course B&W sounded pretty awesome too, but ML seems to be more affordable with a great sound.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Problem is going to be a Subwoofer to work in that size room and staying close to your budget

Last edited:
D

drew_351

Enthusiast

Problem is going to be a Subwoofer to work in that size room and staying close to your budget

My other option, which I didn't want to do, was use some of my old Paradigm setup. I moved a few years ago and I used to have a theater room with a Paradigm 7.1 setup. I am sure it isn't an impressive setup anymore, but I thought it was solid 12 years ago or so when I bought it. I have some Monitor 7 v.4 fronts, CC-370 v.4 center, Monitor 3 v.3 and Mini Monitor v.5 surrounds with a PW-2200 v.2 sub. The room really isn't setup for a 7.1 system though, I could make a 5.1 work. Ideally I would like to keep the Paradigm setup for my theater (although I guess I would have to do some research on Atmos and if I could even still use those speakers). But I could steal that sub, I always felt like it gave a decent kick.

Out of curiosity, what sub do you think would work for my room regardless on budget?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Out of curiosity, what sub do you think would work for my room regardless on budget?
These at Minimum

More suited for your room IMO

Last edited:
D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Ok, I now am told that Infinity Reference would blow any of these away. I know back when I dealt with car audio the Infinity Kappa was a high end awesome speaker. But I never thought they were good for home.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The ML or Def Tech. That the sound would be better from the Infinity Reference speakers and they are 50% off right now. I don't know of anywhere around me I can sample those.
Where is "around you"?
The Infinities when on sale are near impossible to beat for the same money. The only thing I ever saw that beat them was the DCM's when they were being closed out!
I would go with Infinities for the front three - be sure to get the RC-263 center as it is very much worth the extra money! Use the Paradigm mini-monitors for your surrounds, I really liked them for what they cost.

Are you sure they are on sale? Usually they are sold by Infinity/Harman at better than 50% discount and would show up here!

Last edited:
D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Where is "around you"?
The Infinities when on sale are near impossible to beat for the same money. The only thing I ever saw that beat them was the DCM's when they were being closed out!
I would go with Infinities for the front three - be sure to get the RC-263 center as it is very much worth the extra money! Use the Paradigm mini-monitors for your surrounds, I really liked them for what they cost.

Are you sure they are on sale? Usually they are sold by Infinity/Harman at better than 50% discount and would show up here!
I am in the US, Wisconsin actually. I tried looking around and can't find anyone that has the Infinity speakers...and I don't see a sale on their site either. Don't really want to dive into something I can't experience. At least the ML speakers I was talking about my in-laws have a similar setup and I thought it sounded pretty decent. Just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money over the Def Tech setup.

D

drew_351

Enthusiast
Really I was just wondering some thoughts between the ML and Def Tech speakers. Maybe I have my answer since people think I should get something completely different than those - but was hoping in just evaluating between these to get some thoughts on which one would be nicer to have.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
On the infinities, I second waiting till the RC263 center goes on sale and I'd get the R263 as towers. So i wouldn't buy the 5 series that's on sale now. 6 Series likely goes on sale before too long.

No idea how they compare to ML or Deb Tech but would be curious from others with knowledge of both

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis