Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ya. I saw that too. I've been waiting a long time for this overhaul and I'm afraid that I have to say that I'm greatly disappointed. I bought a pair of BP2000s several years ago thinking that they would sound so much better than the BP30s that I have. That was a mistake. After several months of trying to get them to sound right, I gave up and relegated them to the back of the room. I put the BP30s back up front. Not much later the BP7xxx series came out. I went and listened to them and didn't hear much of an improvement over the BP2000s and couldn't justify buying a pair. So I thought by now Def Tech would have learned that they needed to do some serious updating of the BP line. Instead they're still using a muddy class D amp, took away phase adjustments, and added some gimmicky drivers. I honestly don't see how the new series can sound better, or even equal to the current ones. I'm not waiting around for another overhaul. It looks like my Def Tech buying days are done. I'll stick with the old unpowered BP30s or switch to a different brand.
Are you placing your bipole speakers 3ft from the front wall, 3ft from the left wall, and 3ft from the right wall?

Unless the amp is defective, it should not be muddy -- no amp regardless of class (A, B, AB, D) will be muddy unless it is defective/distorting/clipping.

J

Jack N

Audioholic
Unpowered, not underpowered.

I understand everyone has different tastes and preferences - In my opinion class D amps are not as clean or as musical as class A, class A/B, or BASH. The only real difference between the BP30s and the BP2000s is the built in sub. They both use the same tweeters and drivers, and in the same configuration. I have stand alone SVS subs with BASH amps working with the BP30s, and that package definately sounds better than the BP2000s. I still question why they discontinued the BP30s.

Well, maybe I'm wrong (that's never happened before, LOL!) and the new line will sound better. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. It would have been nice if Def Tech had spent an equal amount of R&D time on the BP line as they have the Mythos line. Hopefully they'll come out with a BP line that's more higher end in the near future.

B

benjbonjovi

Enthusiast
Would it be possible to turn off the subwoofer for speaker model bp7004, bp7006,....I like to turn off the subwoofer when listening to music and use my own subwoofer. Then turn it on when watching movies. What will be the effect if my set up is like this?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would it be possible to turn off the subwoofer for speaker model bp7004, bp7006,....I like to turn off the subwoofer when listening to music and use my own subwoofer. Then turn it on when watching movies. What will be the effect if my set up is like this?
In both the 7004 and 7006, the active side firing drivers are more accurately described as powered woofers rather than sub-woofers, for they cover frequencies up into the midrange. If you 'turn them off' by turning the volume on the back of the speakers all the way down, you're only getting signal higher than 120hz or so.

Instead of using your separate sub for music, try the DT's properly dialed in on thier own, and kick on your sub for movies. Both the 7006 and 7004 work pretty darn well on their own for music, but benefit from a separate sub for ultra-deep HT heroics.

B

benjbonjovi

Enthusiast
How do you connect the BP7004 to my receiver (My receiver is 7.2 denon 2311)? Theres only 2 cable LFE connections on my receiver.
How can I hook up my pro sub 1000 to to center speaker CLR2002?
Can someone provide me a detailed step by step connection procedure for this kind of set up.

R

rollinrocker

Audioholic
AJinFLA, hey you use your speakers yuor way and I use em my way. I have found in my testing that by setting to Large the "subs" actually overpower the mid range and upper frequency and give a "boominess" hence my term for muddy and bloated sounding. I actually prefer my bass tight and well controlled, but hey you prefer boomy bass and there's nothing wrong with that. Each person likes what they like. I would rather have my towers "subs" linear flat to what I know they can handle with no distortion and since my preamp can't do 30Hz I have to settle for a 40Hz crossover

But as mentioned and as the graphs that Tom Noussaine posted in his reviews that below 27Hz the subs in the 7001s drop like a rock, hence adding distortion and sounding bloated, but hey you apparantly like that, so more power to you. Me I chose to use my towers and the built in subs as mid bass modules and let my SVS handle the real low end. I know that the bass in my main HT is tight down to just below 20Hz.

I have not tested the BP7000sc but that may be the one exception where I would set to Large, but again my room response would have a large impact and I would have to run RTA to find the nulls and peaks to tame the speakers, but for now, having my 7001 set to small and knowing that it can handle what I give it works for me. But then again there are people who love Bose too and hey whatever floats their boat.

good post...i guess because i agree that overpowering bass hinders greatly a speakers ability to produce midbass that is smooth and controlled...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Latest news from DefTech

From Chet (DefTech):

In the fall of 2010, the BP7006, BP7004, and BP7002 will be discontinued. (The BP7001scs have already been discontinued.) We will have newer models introduced this fall that will replace the BP7006, BP7004, BP7002 and BP7001sc towers....... You can find more info on these speakers at the following link:

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/Series/BipolarSeries2010.aspx

The BP7000sc will remain the flagship of our bipolar towers, though. The BP7000scs will not be discontinued.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
For some reason I still have a feeling the older models may still be better, but I'd like to hear the new ones. Maybe the Magnolia stores at best buy will get some in soon after they are released.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The question is, did Sandy Gross have anything to do with these new speaker designs?

Did they just basically use his designs and changed the aesthetics?

Or did they completely change the designs from the ground up?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
different drivers and crossovers are being used, along with dsps in the amps, and only one mid woofer on the backside of the towers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
different drivers and crossovers are being used, along with dsps in the amps, and only one mid woofer on the backside of the towers.
Different crossovers than the Linkwitz Crossover?

The DSPs in the amps seems to be the trend these days.

I guess we'll see once people start measuring the new speakers.

I don't see any replacements for the BP7001s yet, though - not even close.

J

Juan_R

Enthusiast
The SuperSat 50C looks like the Mythos Nine and Ten but with a ribbon tweeter, less expensive too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can you say "Copy-cat" boys and girls?

I knew you could...

If this is the extent of GoldenEar Technology, then my first impression of them is LAME, LAME, LAME!:rolleyes:

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
OK guys........need a little help/info

I am thinking about changing from Paradigms to Def Tech's

7004 for main, 2500 for center & 350's for rear

Will I notice a big difference in soundfield for movies?
Would I set all speakers as large?
What crossover for a sub?
What is the best way to hook up the 7004's?
Would I have trouble powering this system?

Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK guys........need a little help/info

I am thinking about changing from Paradigms to Def Tech's

7004 for main, 2500 for center & 350's for rear

Will I notice a big difference in soundfield for movies?
Would I set all speakers as large?
What crossover for a sub?
What is the best way to hook up the 7004's?
Would I have trouble powering this system?

Thanks
I've auditioned the Studio 100, and the soundfield of the DefTech BPs are much bigger IMO.

But you have to audition the BP7004 first to judge for yourself!

I would set the 7004 to Large, but the rest to Small @ 80Hz crossover.

For the 7004, use traditional speaker wires.

If you find that you need extra bass for the LFE, you could use a Y-splitter cable and split the LFE output on your AVR to both the LFE Inputs of the 7004s.

On my speakers I just use a single speaker wire for each speaker.

Another thing is the AVR setup. Make sure the Sub gets the LFE from all channels. Now the 7004 gets full range (low freq will go to the active built-in subs) and the subs will get ALL low frequency from all channels.

Last edited:
B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
I've auditioned the Studio 100, and the soundfield of the DefTech BPs are much bigger IMO.

But you have to audition the BP7004 first to judge for yourself!

I would set the 7004 to Large, but the rest to Small @ 80Hz crossover.

For the 7004, use traditional speaker wires.

If you find that you need extra bass for the LFE, you could use a Y-splitter cable and split the LFE output on your AVR to both the LFE Inputs of the 7004s.

On my speakers I just use a single speaker wire for each speaker.

Another thing is the AVR setup. Make sure the Sub gets the LFE from all channels. Now the 7004 gets full range (low freq will go to the active built-in subs) and the subs will get ALL low frequency from all channels.

Regarding the AVR setup, how do I make sure that the sub gets LFE from all channels? You said set the crossover for the sub @ 80Hz? Isn't that what subs are normally set? I thought it might be different since the mains had subs also.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the AVR setup, how do I make sure that the sub gets LFE from all channels? You said set the crossover for the sub @ 80Hz? Isn't that what subs are normally set? I thought it might be different since the mains had subs also.
I don't own a Pioneer AVR, so I can't say exactly.

But there should be a way to set the AVR (if not already by default) so that it will send ALL low frequencies (crossover) to the Sub regardless of how you set the speakers to large or small.

If you set the Front to Large, the AVR will also send the low frequency to the BP7004s (full range) in addition to the Sub, so now you have 3 subs.

One easy way to make sure is to get 2 Y-splitter cables to split the single LFE output to 3 LFEs; 1 for ext sub, 1 for Left BP7004, and 1 for Right BP7004. Now there is NO DOUBT. You are using 3 subs no matter what.

The standard crossover is 80Hz. So if your AVR is already set to 80Hz, then cool.

B

bob52r

Audiophyte
SHOPPING for 12'X14' Bedroom

I just purchased used a pannie 20G50 and would like some real sound in the crib for music and video 50/50 on a budget. It is virtually impossible to audition anything in a meaningful way...SO I'll ask you folks for advise.

From reading and visiting best buy and trying to listen under horrible conditions with a "know nothing" sale associate:
DT pro cimena 600 or 800 will do the job, but I really can't hear anything. Planning on denon 1911.

Hi cross over between the satellites and the sub is my issue:
1. crossing over above 100hrtz and the location difference between the sat and the sub --in theory--should become more apparent. can the denon cross at 140 hrtz and will the location difference become apparent to the point where it will become noticeable?

will the difference between the 600 and 800 help with this issue?

please share your experience!

L

Leonel R.

Enthusiast
I just purchased used a pannie 20G50 and would like some real sound in the crib for music and video 50/50 on a budget. It is virtually impossible to audition anything in a meaningful way...SO I'll ask you folks for advise.

From reading and visiting best buy and trying to listen under horrible conditions with a "know nothing" sale associate:
DT pro cimena 600 or 800 will do the job, but I really can't hear anything. Planning on denon 1911.

Hi cross over between the satellites and the sub is my issue:
1. crossing over above 100hrtz and the location difference between the sat and the sub --in theory--should become more apparent. can the denon cross at 140 hrtz and will the location difference become apparent to the point where it will become noticeable?

will the difference between the 600 and 800 help with this issue?

please share your experience!
Why are you crossing over so high? Even with the 600 package crossing at 100hz should give you seamless integration. If you go with the 800's then they will gave greater extension, so if you feel that the 600's don't play nice, go with the 800's.

My advice to you is to run Audyssey and see where that leaves you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis