dedicated CD/SACD player anyone?

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Tempest said:
I have put a lot of hours in on a Sony SCD-C2000ES and think it is quite the player for the money...can be had for around $300 and comes with a 5 year warranty.
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I see that there's a fairly recent consumer review of the SCD-C2000ES on e-coustics that gives it hi marks on CD but not on SACD. Of course that was just one review. Are you using yours primarily on redbook CDs or on SACDs?

Tempest

Tempest

Junior Audioholic
davee70 said:
Hey, thanks for the recommendation. I see that there's a fairly recent consumer review of the SCD-C2000ES on e-coustics that gives it hi marks on CD but not on SACD. Of course that was just one review. Are you using yours primarily on redbook CDs or on SACDs?
I have 30+ SACDs (jazz and classical) that, to my ears, sound quite good. Redbook (400+), depending on their quality, are also quite nice. I'm using it for stereo audio only with an NAD C320BEE and a pair of PSB Image T55s. I certainly haven’t compared it to ‘expensive’ players, but sonically, it certainly is a better option than my Denon DVD-1920.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
davee70 said:
You might check out the Yamaha C750,under 300 bucks and i'm pretty sure its a better buy then the C2000ES.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
May I suggest Pioneer?

Reason is that you can grab a DVD-A/SACD palayer for something about $ 200which is pretty good.

Tell you what: I have a DV 563-A which I bought some years ago and it still put out an amazingly good sound, whether in SACD/DVD-A, or red book CD's.

By the way, I was just listening Diana Krall on the Pioneer (SACD)...

Bear in mind also that Sony only have SACD.

Good luck /Avliner.

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
Sony SCD-XB790

I own a Sony SCD-XB790. I love it, but it's not available in the USA. :confused:

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
dvda-sacd said:
I own a Sony SCD-XB790. I love it, but it's not available in the USA. :confused:
Well it sure is beautiful. Does it sound as good as it looks?

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
davee70 said:
Well it sure is beautiful. Does it sound as good as it looks?
Yes, it sounds much better than my Pioneer universal player. :cool:

Sony SCD-XB790, Diapason d'Or 2003​

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
dvda-sacd said:
Yes, it sounds much better than my Pioneer universal player. :cool:
Which Pioneer do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I had been considering the 59avi at one point until the 79 came out but it was shown to have all kinds of (video) problems in the Secrets review. Nobody really reviews these things for audio anymore. Upscaling, deinterlacing, macroblocking, cadencing and such, on and on, rule the roost. Maybe the new HD and BR players will finally silence all that.

Last edited:
D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
dvda-sacd said:
Pioneer DV-575A
With the Pioneer I'd imagine DVD-A discs sound quite nice and as you say, for the others listening is that much sweeter on the Sony.

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
davee70 said:
With the Pioneer I'd imagine DVD-A discs sound quite nice and as you say, for the others listening is that much sweeter on the Sony.
Yes, that's right. :)

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
I have a Pioneer DV585A universal player and it sounds really good on DVDs as well as normal Audio/SACDs...

Why I say that - when I was shopping for my system (details in my sig), I decided to get a Marantz SACD player home to test, and I could not pick up the difference between a £500 marantz and my £100 Pioneer universal player. I swapped the Marantz for a £900 Yamaha, but still no difference. I decided to give up, and live happily with my Pioneer - which to my ears sounds brilliant.

Why dont you get some stuff home and have a listen? You might like something which is far below what you expected to pay for it in the first place...

dvda-sacd

dvda-sacd

Junior Audioholic
timechaser said:
I have a Pioneer DV585A universal player and it sounds really good on DVDs as well as normal Audio/SACDs...
What kind of SACDs do you have? If you try a pure DSD recording you may be surprised how much different the Marantz can sound. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
I have a grand total of 5 SACDs - so my knowledge is slightly limited. The comparison I present above is based on playing both SACDs as well as normal Audio CDs.

T

trunkmonkey

Audiophyte
Denon
You can probably find a DVD-2200 or DVD-2900 NOS (they are both discontinued) for a few hundred dollars.
I still use a DVD-2200 and think the quality is very good. Also if you are inclined there are many mods out there that you can DIY if you are good with a soldering iron.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
i second the denon 2200.

i've owned the 2200 and 2900. currently i use a rega aplollo for cd and the 2200 for 2-channel sacd and movies.

i actually prefered the 2200 to the 2900 for redbook. its a bit livelier. the 2200 is actually very close to the rega on cd playback, lacking only the last nth of smoothness and noticable only on some material.

although my setup is happily 2 channel for the time being, i dont think there is any sense at all in buying a 2-channel sacd player. there is no downside cost or performance wise to getting the extra channels. you may want them one day when you get the space and funds for rear channels. i certainly see 4.2 in my future. surround is nice on concert dvd's.

cheers

b

the 2200 supposedly has a very good picture, but like you i dont give a half of a rats arse about that side of the player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I owned the 2200 and 2900 and I couldn't really tell the difference between them for redbook. I like the 2900 better for DVD-A and SACD, however the 2200 has the +10dB offset feature (bass management) for hires that I found to be a big benefit.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Dakmart has a 2815 for $280. Is that a good model?

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
Bevan said:
i second the denon 2200.

i've owned the 2200 and 2900. currently i use a rega aplollo for cd and the 2200 for 2-channel sacd and movies.

i actually prefered the 2200 to the 2900 for redbook. its a bit livelier. the 2200 is actually very close to the rega on cd playback, lacking only the last nth of smoothness and noticable only on some material.

although my setup is happily 2 channel for the time being, i dont think there is any sense at all in buying a 2-channel sacd player. there is no downside cost or performance wise to getting the extra channels. you may want them one day when you get the space and funds for rear channels. i certainly see 4.2 in my future. surround is nice on concert dvd's.
Thanks for the ideas but I am reluctant to purchase a universal DVD player now, new or used, with the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players out or soon to be. I'm envious of you though when it comes to the Rega Apollo. It has great reviews over at one of those other "fora." However, I cannot justify putting that much into a CD player when it's the upgrade to SACD that I'm really after at this point.

I'm with you on the concert DVDs. I have a separate video system, also 2 channel but which I do plan to upgrade to multi-channel at some point, so I don't mind limiting myself to 2 channel on my audio system. Still, having the capability a multi-channel SACD player has would be a plus, especially if I change my mind and want to combine things in the future.

D

davee70

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I owned the 2200 and 2900 and I couldn't really tell the difference between them for redbook. I like the 2900 better for DVD-A and SACD, however the 2200 has the +10dB offset feature (bass management) for hires that I found to be a big benefit.
I feed the sub in parallel with the main speakers (a pair of Veritas 2.3i floorstanders) so I don't think the offset feature would do me much good. I enjoy defying convention and dialing in the sub on the fly, so to speak. I haven't met 2 recordings yet that have the same sound levels in the mix when it comes to those all important bass notes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis