fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I am not expert about electricit, impedance, or any of the complicated electronics inside my A/V receiver or amplifiers. I find it amazing that every single company I look at rates their watts per channel for only two channels. As if this isn't bad enough, I recently read an article that, admittedly I do not completely understand, that said something to the effect that out of a standard outlet it would be difficult to get more than 140ish watts RMS. Finally to my question, how do I find out just how many watts I am really getting to my speakers from my receiver and if I am indeed way under powering my speakers what would a good 5 channel amplifier be?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I've been trying to find more information about this, but between this website, AVS forum, and a few others the sea of information can be a bit overwhelming.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A lot of it comes down to what you own and the quality of it.

Most people start worrying about things like this when they have a sub $1,000 set of speakers and a lower end receiver and think that any of it somehow applies to them, when the reality is that the only time you are likely to be having power issues is when you start getting into the $1,000+ per SPEAKER price range with dedicated amplifiers or top shelf A/V receivers which can truly deliver 140+ WPC when cranked up.

The specifications for receivers are usually listed on their website or in writeups as being 'two channels driven', but it can be confusing. But, for most circumstances, the reference ends up being pretty honest about what you should expect under normal surround sound or stereo listening conditions for power output availability.

If you are thinking of getting, or already own, a set of top shelf speakers, then any number of companies, such as Emotiva, offer dedicated power amplifiers which can help to bring the most out of the speakers in use.

But, a better speaker on a weaker A/V receiver will far outperform a weaker speaker on a great amplifiier.

Then you can start getting into the REAL sea of information when it comes to room acoustics and how incredibly that impacts audio performance.

Trust me on this, you aren't in the sea yet, you're still standing in the wading pool. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I have a Polk RTI A6 center channel speaker and am looking to upgrade to Polk RTI A9 floor standing tower speakers, I was wondering if my Marantz SR5006 receiver is going to be enough power for these things. I know that many people who have owned the RTI A9 speakers have said they suck a lot of power with the three woofers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... that said something to the effect that out of a standard outlet it would be difficult to get more than 140ish watts RMS. ...
Welcome.
Not sure if that is a typo or not. A standard 15A circuit will deliver 15 amps RMS at 120V RMS if required. This is 1800 watts. But, in use your really don't want to load it to more than 1440 watts.

Amps are rated into two channels because there were only two channels for a very long time before the multi channel audio came on the market. And, there is no real need to rate them all channels driven at the same instant as there is no material out there that requires full power to all the speakers at the same instant.

At the link provided, there is a rating to account for the other channels.

You asked about power to the speakers. Well, that certainly depends on the input signal from the source and your listening level. Mostly, your speakers are loafing on a few watts.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I have a Polk RTI A6 center channel speaker and am looking to upgrade to Polk RTI A9 floor standing tower speakers, I was wondering if my Marantz SR5006 receiver is going to be enough power for these things. I know that many people who have owned the RTI A9 speakers have said they suck a lot of power with the three woofers.
a) Your 5006 is a great receiver with solid amp section and you should no problems driving RTI A9 as they are rated at 90db efficiency and 8 Ohm impedance - I don't the math, but trust me it could be very loud levels before 5006 will run out of steam on these

b) My personal (and i'm not alone here) anything from Polk before LS/i is trash
and about $700/each for a speaker - you could do much better than polk A9's

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you set them to small with about an 80Hz x-over in conjunction with a powered sub, you should have no problems running those speakers. As manufacturers go, Marantz is closer to their actual power ratings than some, but you have to learn how to read those specs too. ALL manufacturers when they are trying to sell their product are going to report the 2ch rating. That is not technically a deception, since they are telling you the truth. The reality of that truth is not always what we expect though, so educating oneself on such matters is the only way to filter that truth. What I mean by that is, one should go about this by choosing a speaker they like the sound of and will fill the intended listening area properly. Once that is done, you would choose the appropriate amplification to drive these speakers to the levels desired. If you want high volume without distortion, you're going to have to expect to spend a little more.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the information. What towers would you recommend since you do not have a very high opinion of the A9s, and why, but also why do you think the polk are trash?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, the RTiA line is not terrible, but I wouldn't recommend anything below it. What's the price range you are realistically looking at? There's a lot of good stuff out there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I definitely want to stay below 800 per speaker, delivered, so right around what the A9s are going for.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was just wondering why you would choose these over the polks. I have never heard the speakers that were mentioned, but I have heard the polks and the specs look pretty similar, especially with the Q900s. I have to look more at the philharmonic, but they look very interesting. Also, I hope someone could clarify (boredsysadmin if possible) why they think the polks are trash. Thanks again everyone.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
KEFs are known for their musical ability. Specs tell you a lot of good info, but they don't tell you how a speaker actually sounds. If you can locate a KEF dealer, I'd go listen to them because you are the one who has to listen to them. You might be perfectly happy with the Polks too, so ultimately you have to decide. I reviewed the RTiA-3 a few years back and actually felt it was pretty good.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was just wondering why you would choose these over the polks. I have never heard the speakers that were mentioned, but I have heard the polks and the specs look pretty similar, especially with the Q900s. I have to look more at the philharmonic, but they look very interesting. Also, I hope someone could clarify (boredsysadmin if possible) why they think the polks are trash. Thanks again everyone.
A Few years back I walking into Audio Advice store in Miami (closed now) and gave a careful listen to all polk bookshelf, starting with cheapest till lsi/9
(no towers) and until I got to last one (about 8 total) - they sounded too bright, harsh and lacking in bass. LSi/9 actually was very smooth and had enough punch for normal uses..
That said - LS/i series are WAY too overpriced and even at 1/2 MSRP - I seen refub on ebay for that price - it's still too expensive.,,

I'll admit - I have not heard RTI towers, but I'm willing to bet my wallet - Many speakers (in this price range) including KEF Q900 and Philharmonic will be day in night in both SQ and bang for your buck compared to Polks.

p.s: Don't judge speakers by specs manufacturer provided
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/audio-measurements

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
they sounded too bright, harsh and lacking in bass.

I'll admit - I have not heard RTI towers,

p.s: Don't judge speakers by specs manufacturer provided
Also don't rule out a speaker just because of a review that doesn't actually exist. :p

Just giving you a hard time BSA.. I actually agree with you, though, and was not impressed with the RTI towers. There's a lot of speakers I would put ahead of it for considerably less money.

To say the speaker is "trash" is a little harsh, but its not built to any "wow" factor, the xover is cheap, and I don't think the overall design is anything to get too excited about.

I want to give the philharmonics a listen. Seem to be getting a lot of great reviews.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Also, I hope someone could clarify (boredsysadmin if possible) why they think the polks are trash. Thanks again everyone.
All I will say is they sound somewhat artificial to me, also somewhat
sharp, edgy and muddy - and lacking in midrange resolution.

This is what I prefer over them - Focal
Music Direct - FOCAL - CHORUS 716V TOWER SPEAKERS (PR)

Also, the KEF is a good option - and look at Philharmonic.

The Marantz receiver is fine.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My issue with the LSis is the tweeters are excellent and the cabinets are very well built but the midrange is lacking. It just doesn't come across as clear as it should, and for speakers at the price they are asking for them, they should sound much better. The RTiA line is better than the previous RTi line was, but as mentioned, there are a lot of speakers in the same price range that will do a better job.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis