Deal on Salk Veracity HT3’s

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
A local seller has these and just wants them gone. They look like Veracity HT3’s but I don’t know much to authenticate them, perhaps an older model. Someone with more info please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That’s what they look like to me. What does “just wants them gone” equate to?
New from Salk they are over $6K.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ll let you know, currently less than 1/3 of original price but I said if she really wants them gone I can do $1k under the current administration. Facebook isn’t the best place to market them and I started the conversation with friendly advice that she can get much more than asking if she lists them properly. That’s when she said she doesn’t care, inherited them and just wants them gone. If you think about it I’m really doing her a favor!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Value is in the eye of the beholder. At 1/3 the new-cost they are a steal.
It would be interesting to know if she has the documentation Salk sends out with the speakers.
Finish looks like a blonde curly maple, perhaps.

FWIW, I considered, briefly, not buying a full surround rig and just ordering a pair of these.

The Raal tweeter and Seas Excel midrange are both considered top of the line drivers. IIRC, the woofer might be a custom job for Salk. Uncertain where they come from, but that speaker is supposed to extend well into the mid-low 20s to the mid 20s...(F3: 29Hz).

Edit: I might have had my fact mixed, or something changed... just got a chance to look and they are F3 at 29Hz... so will put out a bit more, but not so much as I suggested above.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ll let you know, currently less than 1/3 of original price but I said if she really wants them gone I can do $1k under the current administration. Facebook isn’t the best place to market them and I started the conversation with friendly advice that she can get much more than asking if she lists them properly. That’s when she said she doesn’t care, inherited them and just wants them gone. If you think about it I’m really doing her a favor!

I'll be there in a couple of hours. Where do you live again..? :p

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Damm... that's a 2-day drive for me! :p
Exactly, if this lady put them on audiogon someone would cross a state line for them! She really doesn’t know what she has.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Colorado Springs, a bit of a Hi Fi dead zone.

You gonna do it? Your lady won't kick you out, will she?
Like I said, even at 2K those are a steal. If she has the documentation too, you could probably flip them if you are willing to take the time. Hell, just the Raals and the Seas Drivers are about $1500 retail for a pair of both.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You gonna do it? Your lady won't kick you out, will she?
Like I said, even at 2K those are a steal. If she has the documentation too, you could probably flip them if you are willing to take the time. Hell, just the Raals and the Seas Drivers are about $1500 retail for a pair of both.
Under the current administration that’s a negative. If I could steal them for $1000 I could find a place to hide them and flip them. I’m assuming if I could email Jim with serial numbers and some better pictures I could probably get some emailed authentication from him.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Does your other half know the difference between a $200 speaker and a $6000 speaker? Just hide them in plain sight. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
These certainly look like Salk HT3s to me. They're good, and if the price is right, they would be a steal. They were once the top of the Salk line.

They're large (12" W × 15" D × 40" H) and heavy, 87 lbs. each. Bring some help if you want to take them home.

Also, it might be possible to remove the plynths under the cabinets. On my Salk speakers, the plynth is held on by four large lag screws with ½" hexagonal heads. They're in recessed holes under the plynth, so I needed a ratchet wrench with a ½" socket. It is also possible that, once you remove the screws, those plynths can't easily be pulled off without damaging their finish.
Value is in the eye of the beholder. At 1/3 the new-cost they are a steal. It would be interesting to know if she has the documentation Salk sends out with the speakers. Finish looks like a blonde curly maple, perhaps.

The Raal tweeter and Seas Excel midrange are both considered top of the line drivers. IIRC, the woofer might be a custom job for Salk. Uncertain where they come from, but that speaker is supposed to extend well into the mid-low 20s to the mid 20s...(F3: 29Hz).
I can't see the tweeter clearly enough, but it's possible those HT3s are an older version that had an Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. Not to worry, in a 3-way design like the HT3, that tweeter worked well. But it wasn't used in a 2-way design. At a later time, Salk started using the RAAL ribbons instead.

If @D Murphy sees this thread, maybe he could tell which tweeters are in those HT3s.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
These certainly look like Salk HT3s to me. They're good, and if the price is right, they would be a steal. They were once the top of the Salk line.

They're large (12" W × 15" D × 40" H) and heavy, 87 lbs. each. Bring some help if you want to take them home.

Also, it might be possible to remove the plynths under the cabinets. On my Salk speakers, the plynth is held on by four large lag screws with ½" hexagonal heads. They're in recessed holes under the plynth, so I needed a ratchet wrench with a ½" socket. It is also possible that, once you remove the screws, those plynths can't easily be pulled off without damaging their finish.
I can't see the tweeter clearly enough, but it's possible those HT3s are an older version that had an Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. Not to worry, in a 3-way design like the HT3, that tweeter worked well. But it wasn't used in a 2-way design. At a later time, Salk started using the RAAL ribbons instead.

If @D Murphy sees this thread, maybe he could tell which tweeters are in those HT3s.
Upon closer inspection of that photo, I think you are correct about that Tweeter. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@TankTop5

Find out if the seller who wants these HT3s gone has the amp that drove them. Maybe she wants that gone too.

I never owned HT3s, but they were said by others to be power hungry. Salk suggests 200 wpc for them.

Again, if Dennis Murphy is reading this, he could comment better on their real power needs.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
@TankTop5

Find out if the seller who wants these HT3s gone has the amp that drove them. Maybe she wants that gone too.

I never owned HT3s, but they were said by others to be power hungry. Salk suggests 200 wpc for them.

Again, if Dennis Murphy is reading this, he could comment better on their real power needs.
She told me she does not have them hooked up because she does not have an amp that can drive them properly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis