corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I just watched 2 more end over at compusaauctions end, each selling for $466. What a steal.

T

taaldridge

Enthusiast
Does anybody have any idea why these receivers are available?

I'm there is a tremendous markup on A/V equipment, but $800! I'd be interested in finding out just how something like this came about. Maybe Marantz had an overstock of this model and sold them to auction outlets for cheap: I dunno :confused: any ideas.

TA

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
taaldridge said:
Does anybody have any idea why these receivers are available?

I'm there is a tremendous markup on A/V equipment, but $800! I'd be interested in finding out just how something like this came about. Maybe Marantz had an overstock of this model and sold them to auction outlets for cheap: I dunno :confused: any ideas.

TA
I think it is because the 8500 is out now and Marantz had a surplus of the 8400's, wanting to clear them out. UBID is their authorized "clearinghouse".
That's all I can think of.

Another thing I noticed! That freakin' remote looks sweet! It is $100 alone at Amazon!

Pat

Last edited:
corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, that remote is sweet. I got it home, put the batteries in and pressed the little "light" button...all the buttons lit up this cool blue with a nice blue backlit LCD at the top of the controller. I don't know that it's a better controller in terms of functions than any others, but it sure looks impressive.

And yeah, the 8500's coming out is the only reason I can think that they're trying to rid them. I'm glad I was able to get one.

T

taaldridge

Enthusiast
Glad to hear it! Now I'm really stoked to get it. How long on the shipping do you think?

I hope the remote works as good as it looks, because I was considering buying one of the Sony remotes on UBID for $70 (retail $200). If the remote works good then that will make a great deal even greater.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
I don't think you'll see any need for a new one once you get that remote. It's really thorough...nothing I can't control with it.

As for shipping, if I remember correctly, I won on a Thursday and it got to me on Monday (with a weekend thrown in there), so my guess would be 2-3 business days. I was just like you...salivating, wainting to get it. I had it shipped to my office and couldn't wait to open it...so I did. Just had it sitting out on my desk. It's a really nice piece. It's got to be the best deal going right now.

cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
Marantz vs Denon

I too took the plunge and picked up one of the Marantz units from uBid. Since I'm anxious to play with it and won't be home to meet it for a month I was checking out the web site today. Marantz, Denon, and Mcintosh are all owned by the same parent company. Does anyone know how much technology they share?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
wish I would have had the money on hand to pick it up when you guys did, its up to 649, notice how I say up to, which is still a steal, but almost 200 more than they were going for, damn you inflation

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I'd pay $800

Spiffyfast said:
wish I would have had the money on hand to pick it up when you guys did, its up to 649, notice how I say up to, which is still a steal, but almost 200 more than they were going for, damn you inflation

Having had this thing hooked up for a couple weeks, I'd pay $800 for it, easy. It makes my mediocre speakers sound amazing! I would go for it. $650 is a steal, although I am quite happy having gotten it for $460 :D

Gook Luck!

Pat

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
oh yeah it's still one heck of a deal regardless, probably what I'll be going with, hope itll sound good with some paradigm monitor 7's

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
yeah, that's why if I go with the 8400 I'll be willing to pay a little more and get it from ubid.com since its an authorized dealer

9f9c7z

Banned
You may want to check with your State’s office of Attorney General. I did. And I sought legal advice on this issue before buying anything with warranty restrictions. It may not be what manfs would have you to believe. If your state did allow manf to restrict warranty application based on where the unit is purchased from, you still may not be without recourse. There is something called an ‘adhesion contract’ that is a basis for claiming damages (that I understand is available) in every State.

An adhesion contract is where one party has an unfair advantage that the other party cannot reasonable negotiate to equity, i.e., if a manf requires you to purchase a product thru specific retail outlets, and not Ebay, in order to get a warranty. The manf has interfered with your ability to acquire an identical product elsewhere for a better price.

In California, no one can take away from the manf’s warranty, not the manf, not the distributor, not the retailer. If a product shipped with a warranty, that warranty stays valid and intact all the way to the consumer, if the final retail sell is in California. The only alteration the State allows is for the distributor or retailer to ADD to the warranty, i.e. increase coverage terms, but they can never take anything away from it.

There is a ton of consumer protection laws in California that I’m beginning to think many people aren’t aware of. A manf must maintain a repair facility in close proximity to any retail seller. If they don’t, any and every retailer of any of that manf’s product is a drop-off point for warranty repairs. Take Hsu subwoofers for example. They do internet sells, but they also distribute thru custom installers that retail Hsu products. If you are in California and have a Hsu product that is in need of warranty repairs you can drop it off anywhere Hsu products are sold, even custom av installers that normally don’t stock the product. But do you need to drop that subwoofer off? Not necessarily.

Any electronics item that is heavy, large, or awkward to carry must be repaired in the home. I don't there is astandard for anything above 60lbs as ‘not heavy’. Maybe UPS or Fed-Ex? At 80lbs, a Hsu subwoofer would need to be repaired in the home. Alternatively, Hsu can pay for the item to be picked up, repaired, and returned, at no cost to the consumer. That goes for any manf of a ‘heavy’ subwoofer, speaker, or amplifier. I am told that in general, any electronics item larger or heavier than a 21’ TV must be repaired in the home. Same for any products that are intended to be “installed” or “attached” to the home. Hint: got in-wall speakers?...or got a plasma display hanging on your wall?

Everyone should know the consumer laws of their State. You may have more protections and rights that what manfs would have you believe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis