Bid now. $426 gets it.

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10344088

Marantz SR8400 770W 7.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater
Receiver, Dolby Digital EX®/DTS ES®

Bid Now:
uSave! $873.99 Bid Now!
$426.00
Compare at: $1,299.99
Time has been extended on this auction for up to 10 minutes. Bid Now! and "Overtime" will extend for another 10 minutes.
Auction Information
Quantity Available : 339
Reserve Price : No Reserve Price
Condition: New
Warranty Information:
3 year warranty through Marantz
StartingBid: $1.00
Incremental Bid: $1.00
Lot #: 10344088
Total Bids: 2230

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
ptalar said:
You think it is legitimate?
Absolutely. That's how I bought my Denon AVR3805 and sub. Arrived in A1 condition. One of the best online companies I've dealt with. No wait time if you need to call customer service. For that price (auction is over), I should have purchased several and made a few bucks selling them. Three yr mfg. warranty!

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Hey buckeye, guess what, I got one for $451. I was saving to get a denon 2805, Onkyo 702 or a Yamaha 1500 maybe, but I think that this 8400 is pretty compatible, maybe even has a little better stats. I'd heard a 7400 before and it really didn't do it for me, but to be fair it was in a wide open space powering bookshelves with no sub. I later heard those same bookshelves in a proper setup and bought them to use as my fronts.

I decided to give this a whirl because I figure the worst I can do is come out with my money back. I figure that this is going to cost me about $650-$700 CDN by the time I get it up here. I went with the Marantz because their warranty is valid in Canada when you buy in the states so I can't loose. Take that every other manufacturer :p .

The one thing that is missing that I'd really, really like is auto calibration. I just want to get this taken out of my hands so that way I don't have the urge to constantly tweak settings. That was a good post, I hope some others followed your lead. I already knew about this auction but this is the first thing I'd ever bought from ubid. When it went into about 2 hrs of overtime I was pretty ticked I've got to admit. My initial bid was for $386, but I just couldn't pass this up. I know some others on this site bought the same receiver, did they ever post on how it is working out for them? Right now I'm :D . Later Gators

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Wow, you got one at an even better deal. I got one of these last month for $575. Still not bad, considering it was a $1200 receiver less than a year ago. I'd pay $575 for this again if I had to...I've been supremely impressed with it.

And to the question earlier, yes it is legit. I, too, was skeptical. But it came in the mail in a factory sealed box. Everything was absolutely brand new and as it should be.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
That Marantz is one of the nicest looking receivers I've seen. I only wish they had offered it before I bought my Denon. They are basically the same units. I would have saved $250 and had a much better warranty. It's only money, and the Denon serves me well. I just love the two huge knobs on the unit. Very symmetrical. Also love the black brushed aluminum faceplate.

http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/Proddetail.asp?model=79&cat=15

Attachments

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Agreed. I also really love the way it looks. Unfortunately, being and art director by profession, I often get hooked on how things look. For instance, many would argue that NAD and Rotel are on par with one another (cost aside), but I'd take the Rotel stuff any day...I just love that two-tone silver/black look. I was pleasantly surprised by the new Marantz...it looks great on the website, but even better sitting below my tv. :D

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I've gotta admit I'm pretty stoked. At the price I paid that should bring my cost to just under a Yamaha 5760 after taxes. Should be a little over $800 cheaper than a Denon 2805 after taxes. All prices Canadian. I was really sold on the Denon. Oh, I pretended to want the Yamaha all along too, but that was just to get the Denon jealous so she'd really put out when I got her home. Now, with the marantz, it's like the hotter younger sister has swooped in on me and want's to buy me dinner ;) . For $800 in savings I can put up with alot, I'm just hoping I don't have to.

I don't depend on reviews to make up my mind for me, but they do provide a good starting point and I wish there were some more out there for this beauty.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Buckeye, are you comparing this unit to the 3805? Would it be closer to the 2805? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Takeereasy said:
Buckeye, are you comparing this unit to the 3805? Would it be closer to the 2805? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering.
Yes, the 3805. The retail pricing is almost exact. The different in watts will never be heard. The Denon may have one or two more bells and whistles, but I'd never use them, so they are worthless to me. The next Marantz model up, the 9000 series, blows away the 3805. The new Marantz 8500, IMO, is a much better receiver than the 3805 - but look at its price.

http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/category.asp?cat=15

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Cool, thanks Buckeye, I appreciate the responses.

B

briggek8717

Audioholic Intern
I put a bid in about 2 weeks ago for $500. Seeing as I had lost an auction earlier that week when they went for $550+, I didn't figure I would win. To my surprise, I got an email yesterday confirming that I won. I guess I spent $55 more than I had to on my bid (lowest winning bid was like $445), but I'm hoping I won't really care about that once I get the receiver and try it out.

Now I just need some speakers to use it with ....

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
HMMM, only $800 or 62% off the MSRP. I think you should have shopped around some more. LOL. Tell us what speakers you get, or are considering when you get a chance.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
briggek8717 said:
I put a bid in about 2 weeks ago for $500. Seeing as I had lost an auction earlier that week when they went for $550+, I didn't figure I would win. To my surprise, I got an email yesterday confirming that I won. I guess I spent $55 more than I had to on my bid (lowest winning bid was like $445), but I'm hoping I won't really care about that once I get the receiver and try it out.

Now I just need some speakers to use it with ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32861&item=5769135631&rd=1

There you go. Check out this thread buck laid out:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9805

B

briggek8717

Audioholic Intern
Well, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and when I finished the ceiling, I bought a pair of Polk RCi 80s for my rears (my wife wants as few visible speakers as possible). So, I was kind of leaning towards the Polk RTi8's or RTi10's for fronts with a CSi5 for the center to keep the whole timbre matching, but I've heard as long as your fronts and center are the same timbre, the rears won't matter as much.

So, I'm kind of open to anything. As far as a budget, I'd like to stay around $1,000 for the fronts and center together.

The room they would be in is about 30' wide and 25' deep. However, the viewing area is about 15' wide and 14' deep. I have a pool table and other things on the other 15' wide area and a bar area behind the viewing area. It is all open though with the exception of 2 boxed in support poles.

I'm open to suggestions on speakers.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
briggek8717 said:
Well, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and when I finished the ceiling, I bought a pair of Polk RCi 80s for my rears (my wife wants as few visible speakers as possible). So, I was kind of leaning towards the Polk RTi8's or RTi10's for fronts with a CSi5 for the center to keep the whole timbre matching, but I've heard as long as your fronts and center are the same timbre, the rears won't matter as much.

So, I'm kind of open to anything. As far as a budget, I'd like to stay around $1,000 for the fronts and center together.

The room they would be in is about 30' wide and 25' deep. However, the viewing area is about 15' wide and 14' deep. I have a pool table and other things on the other 15' wide area and a bar area behind the viewing area. It is all open though with the exception of 2 boxed in support poles.

I'm open to suggestions on speakers.
I'm a BIC fan. I'm thinking about getting the DV 84's just for the heck of it. My center is awesome, I think the 84's are too.

The RTi 10's are a good choice, if you look around you can get them cheap. Buck stole his from BB or CC. Go in there with cash, you can always talk them down. I get at least 10% off everything I buy at those places.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
My Marantz shipped today, supposed to be at my Uncle's in California by Monday, should be to me by next Friday, Monday after that at the latest. Oh man, Can't wait.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Wow!

I just woke up to an e-mail from UBID saying I got one for $460!!!!!! I guess I picked the right bid, as the bottom price was $456, I think. Not bad. I wasn't willing to go over $500, as I don't need that much receiver.
I am elated and can't wait til it comes!

Now I just have to tell my wife :eek: I told her two weeks ago that I placed a "small" bid on a $1300 receiver but told her I probably wouldn't get it. Oh well, I will just have to show her how awesome trading spaces and while you were out sounds on this thing :D

Anybody else around here get one?

Pat

T

taaldridge

Enthusiast
Marantz 8400

I also got one. Bid $490 for it. My original bid was $450, but since the auction kept going and going :mad:, I upped my bid to $490 and went to bed. Checked it at 3am and I'd won 1.

That was my first exposure to the bidding process and it was very nerve-racking for me because I knew I wanted one, but i had to put up with those coming in at the last minute extending the auction that much more. I also saw some guys wanting the whole lot (241) but not bidding that high, but how was I to know whether they might out bid me later.

But I'm thankful it's over, and excited to have it.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
taaldridge said:
I also got one. Bid $490 for it. My original bid was $450, but since the auction kept going and going :mad:, I upped my bid to $490 and went to bed. Checked it at 3am and I'd won 1.

That was my first exposure to the bidding process and it was very nerve-racking for me because I knew I wanted one, but i had to put up with those coming in at the last minute extending the auction that much more. I also saw some guys wanting the whole lot (241) but not bidding that high, but how was I to know whether they might out bid me later.

But I'm thankful it's over, and excited to have it.

I HATE the way UBID does this! Letting the auction stay open FOREVER! It is a way for them to get higher prices from the frenzy, but not very nice to people who have been watching the auction for 2 weeks like me.

Pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis