DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He hasn’t yet but I tried telling him form factor isn’t important. I offered him to listen to my TP-260s which I absolutely adore before he made a final decision. Not sure if he’s going to do that but I really am not an expert on speakers or sound bars so I don’t want to step into the compare game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't heard the Nakamichi setup, but there's no way it could compete with your setup, imo. You're right about it not being an apples to oranges comparison, with form factor being compared to sound quality. He's definitely sacrificing sound quality for form factor by choosing a soundbar.

If he does, at least you know your system sounds better than his! :p

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I cranked them up too and had those woofers moving pretty good. They never bottomed out or lost their composure even at some spirited levels. I still prefer my Ultras' tweeter over the TP tho. They just seem smoother and dare I say... "have more sparkle and air".
A better comparison with the Ultra's would be the DCM TFE series

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A better comparison with the Ultra's would be the DCM TFE series
Agreed. A more fair comparison with the DCM TP series and SVS would probably be much closer, if not better than the Prime series

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
I haven't heard the Nakamichi setup, but there's no way it could compete with your setup, imo. You're right about it not being an apples to oranges comparison, with form factor being compared to sound quality. He's definitely sacrificing sound quality for form factor by choosing a soundbar.

If he does, at least you know your system sounds better than his! :p
I feel like when most people ask me for my opinion, they really don’t want my opinion. They just want to hear what they’d like to hear, not my advice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I feel like when most people ask me for my opinion, they really don’t want my opinion. They just want to hear what they’d like to hear, not my advice.

Well then, it sounds like you may need to assert yourself some more!

It helps when you're speaking from experience too. If he won't come listen to your setup and feels the soundbar fits his needs better then he's probably already made up his mind. He may regret it when he finally does hear yours, or not. But you'll know who has the better sounding gear.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
As part of this DCM adventure, I actually bought a pair of Time Window 10A's for $300. It was a bit of a gamble, but turned out they are in great shape! I felt it was a good deal as they sound pretty fine and are so unique in their design!!!
While they are well balanced speakers, the one flaw (for me) is the soft dome tweeters just don't handle struck metal/harmonics (like orchestral chimes) the way Be/ribbons/ceramic tweeters do. But in the time window :cool: of 80's and 90's, they are very impressive ... especially given they were reasonably priced. It is easy to understand how they developed the following they did.
I don't have the means to properly package them for shipping, but if you are not too far away from GA and would like to buy them, we could meet, or, if you are close and just want to come see/revisit how they sound, come on over!
Thanks Ken! Are you sure you're that you have 10As and not 1As? I had the original 1s. I agree with the limitations on the soft dome tweeter but man oh man they sure sounded musical to me. I live in DFW now but an planning a move to the Jacksonville area in the next few months. I just might take you up on a listen. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That’s true on forums too. Many times people show up AFTER they make a purchase. They’re usually looking for validation of their purchase and not real advice. Then it becomes an argument because we’re telling them to return the stuff, and they want everyone to jump for joy that they bought XYZ stuff...
It fun.

A

alwaysflatulent

Audioholic Intern
Well then, it sounds like you may need to assert yourself some more!

It helps when you're speaking from experience too. If he won't come listen to your setup and feels the soundbar fits his needs better then he's probably already made up his mind. He may regret it when he finally does hear yours, or not. But you'll know who has the better sounding gear.
I agree with you. For me, form always follows function. That was the whole reason I did quite a bit of research to find the best value for my budget and signed up on here, got some expert advice from all you guys and made my decision.
I don’t really want to assert myself more than I have to. I tell people what’s ideal and let them make their own choices.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Ken! Are you sure you're that you have 10As and not 1As? I had the original 1s. I agree with the limitations on the soft dome tweeter but man oh man they sure sounded musical to me. I live in DFW now but an planning a move to the Jacksonville area in the next few months. I just might take you up on a listen. :)
Give me a PM if/when you are in the area!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I will just do my favorite 7 that I have owned

1. MB Quart Vera 05

2. Revel Performa3 M105

3. Boston VS 260

4. Tied -
Energy Connoisseur C-2
Boston E60 (one of the best measured from 200 hz to 10 khz)

5. Snell K7

6. DCM TFE 60
Do you still own the MB Vera 05? I remember you and Steve loved those speakers.
man those bostons are a beauty
See the source image

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I finally remembered to check. You are correct, they are Time Window 1A's!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
curious if these are still available?
1583101593260.png

1583102684008.png

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It's Kurt. He's too polite to correct you. I don't have any such hang ups.
SO sorry Kurt. I guess I read KEW as Ken because of the 3 KEW letters. And thanks Alex for pointing it out because I would have continued to make that mistake. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis