DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are just about cheap enough to buy them just to buy them.

I need to do something about my speaker fetish... lol

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
While no real threat to your SVS, they are some pretty good speakers .... They will hold their own and more against some popular brand speakers.

Tower speakers -- sold each
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-Tower-Floor-Standing-Speaker-Home-Theater-Audio-DCM-TP260-CH-Single-/193088129247?hash=item2cf4f308df
Obviously it's hard to tell only from an image, but those drivers do not look cheaply made, and useless or not the dual binding posts give it a slightly more elevated look. It's not a bad looking speaker for $149.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I want to buy them just because they are a good deal, but I need to SELL some speakers lol.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting -- there are over 100 people watchng the DCM TP160S speakers, and they have sold 39 pairs

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
5 years ago, I would have had a pair of the BS speakers on the way by now, but I've got 3-4 pairs of speakers idly sitting in my bonus room that are roughly equivalents to these. I am pretty f'ing amazing at rationalizing what I want to do, but just not THAT amazing!:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've found a few time windows DCM speakers on Craigslist out here and at least one set of towers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
5 years ago, I would have had a pair of the BS speakers on the way by now, but I've got 3-4 pairs of speakers idly sitting in my bonus room that are roughly equivalents to these. I am pretty f'ing amazing at rationalizing what I want to do, but just not THAT amazing!:)
You have enough to toy with for now

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Them older DCM TimeWindows are decent for their time ... but I would skip the KX series
Yeah the older Time Windows were very nice speakers indeed. I owned a pair in the 80s and 90s and wish I never let go of them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just in case someone is looking to put together a good quality system on a budget, I wanted to point out that the matching center is available for $90 in Cherry or $60 (used) in black.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1312.R1.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=TP160c&_sacat=0
Two pairs of bookshelfs and one center and you've got 5.0 at $250.
I saw a review where a guy A-B'ed them against Infinity 152's. This was a purely subjective review, but he said:
I had the Q Acoustics 3020 and the Infinity Reference R152 on hand to do a comparison, given the original MSRP of all 3 speakers were around the same, $300-350.

The TP160S, although no bass monster, has better impact than both the 3020 and R152. It sounds like a bigger speaker than the 3020 (which it is),with a fuller, more well rounded sound (and it sounds a little bigger than the R152 as well) It also disappears better than the 3020. Both the TP160S and the 3020 are a touch forward which makes sound more "exciting" at times, but the TP160S never became too shouty/annoying. Tonality is pretty balanced, similar to the Infinity's. The R152 does have a little cleaner sounding highs with more depth and separation in the soundstage with more distinct imaging, but it would've been tougher to notice if I wasn't able to compare them back to back.
Click on the image below to see the full "review"!
https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/d4oakr Given that the Infinity R152 is ~$150/pr when they go on sale, these $80/pr (expect price to increase as it has been - see review above) DCM's are arguably a better value!

They also have a wall-mount Bi-pole surround for $120/pr, although I would probably stick with the bookshelf speakers at $80 if you do not plan to wall mount.
For me, having the built-in mounting brackets is easily worth the extra $40/pr if you plan to wall mount!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DCM-by-MTX-Audio-6-5-Bi-Pole-Bookshelf-Wall-Mount-Home-Theater-Speakers-Pair/193084718921?epid=69565504&hash=item2cf4beff49:g:wJAAAOSwDjhdcCLb

@shadyJ , any thoughts on the bi-poles (linked just above) vs bookshelf speakers for rear/surrounds?
I'll link the BS speakers again here so you don't have to go back looking for the right link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-Bookshelf-Home-Theater-Speakers-100W-RMS-TP160S-CH-DCM-by-MTX-Audio/193084846113?hash=item2cf4c0f021:g:~NoAAOSwh0ldcRTR

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ , any thoughts on the bi-poles (linked just above) vs bookshelf speakers for rear/surrounds?
I'll link the BS speakers again here so you don't have to go back looking for the right link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-6-5-Bookshelf-Home-Theater-Speakers-100W-RMS-TP160S-CH-DCM-by-MTX-Audio/193084846113?hash=item2cf4c0f021:g:~NoAAOSwh0ldcRTR
Bipoles are OK for 5.1 systems that calls for diffuse sound content, but they aren't as appropriate for 7.1 or object-oriented sound mixes which call for a more precise surround soundstage. In most circumstances I would go with the bookshelf speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I believe Dan Roemer of XTZ was involved in the engineering of the DCM TP and TFE series

The TP160S woofer can take a lot of power -- While the tweeter lacks a little air, they really have some good imaging, the soundstage is really nice. And they have some nice tight and controlled bass. While not dead neutral flat or perfect; they are not really aggressive, harsh, or edgy (but some female voices can sound slightly hooty) .... They do a pretty good job on Take Five by Dave Bruebeck ... and I can listen and enjoy higher female voices, brass, piano, violins and not want to throw the speakers out .... these are not bottom entry level speakers ... and yes I will take them over the likes of Sony Core, Q Acoustics, Cambridge S30, HTD Level Three, Infinity Primus, Polk RTi4, Boston CS, CR series and some others.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The DCM which some call cheapy speakers, have a 1 inch front baffle -- but the woofer frame is stamped like you would find even in some more expensive speakers

1569447348781.png

1569447476083.png

1569447755745.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Healthy looking magnet too. I need to find and listen to a pair. There are a bunch of DCM speakers on Craigslist but most of them are "vintage". I found one pair of TIme Window bs speakers for $150, but the cabs had water damaged. All swelled on one side. No way was I gonna bother even checking them out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis