Dayton Center Channel $15

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If anyone is considering this, they might also want to know that the B652's are also on sale (new) for $30/pr:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652?AID=1457483&PID=552179&SID=i7VzFOTEh3b0tNcTBBQVBxVm9OSUFBQU
So for $45 plus the $7 shipping fee = $52 you can get the front 3 speakers. (or $82 for 5.0)
Add a Monoprice 12" sub for $120 shipped:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8SV5325748&cm_re=monoprice_subwoofer-_-0S6-00HV-00043-_-Product
Throw in a Denon for $140 or an Integra for $150 and that is about as inexpensive as you can get into 5.1 HT ($342 or $352) without getting a HTiB.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?store_price[]=133-200

I can't get too excited about the sound quality, but it is a stepping stone - the logical next steps would be to upgrade the mains and then the center.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If anyone is considering this, they might also want to know that the B652's are also on sale (new) for $30/pr:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652?AID=1457483&PID=552179&SID=i7VzFOTEh3b0tNcTBBQVBxVm9OSUFBQU
So for $45 plus the $7 shipping fee = $52 you can get the front 3 speakers....

I can't get too excited about the sound quality, but it is a stepping stone - the logical next steps would be to upgrade the mains and then the center.
Let me get this straight. You recommend buying the center and bookshelf pair, then get rid of them and buy something better. Is that right?

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Let me get this straight. You recommend buying the center and bookshelf pair, then get rid of them and buy something better. Is that right?
Its an evolution, we all cannot start off with Focal Grande Utopia unfortunately.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Its an evolution, we all cannot start off with Focal Grande Utopia unfortunately.
Oh, the package KEW assembled is quite a bargain with exceptional performance for the price without a doubt. I'd much rather have that than a sound bar, and getting 5.0 for $82 destroys the usual argument of putting the money toward better mains and add channels as you go, since there's not much improvement to be found in a pair of speakers at that price (except maybe with a diy kit or an improbably lucky garage sale find). I just thought the way he said it was funny. I don't get out much though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, I'd consider the AVR, sub, and surrounds to be good for awhile.
I see what you are getting at, it is a bit ironic/perverse!
Even though the center and bookshelves are the impetus for putting together this system, they also happen to be the weakest links in the system; the AVR, Sub, and (same bookshelf as) surrounds are more suitable to their role for a longer period.
The reality is you simply would not want to pay less for an AVR (at least among offerings I know of). Something like an open-box Pyle may be less, but I cannot recommend it because I worry about reliability. Down grading the sub just doesn't save much - the SUB-800 is $100 and the SUB-1000 is $120 (just like the 12" Monoprice), and relative to the overall budget the sub-800 costs too much to be a deliberate short term compromise.
The beauty of the front 3 for $52 is they do not steal much of the budget from the rest of the system, and you won't take much of a hit when you replace/upgrade them.
Let's just call them sacrificial speakers!:p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, the package KEW assembled is quite a bargain with exceptional performance for the price without a doubt. I'd much rather have that than a sound bar, and getting 5.0 for $82 destroys the usual argument of putting the money toward better mains and add channels as you go, since there's not much improvement to be found in a pair of speakers at that price (except maybe with a diy kit or an improbably lucky garage sale find). I just thought the way he said it was funny. I don't get out much though.
Your response made me reflect on why I posted the economy system.
Honestly, my progression:
1) 50% off (for the initial center) is always a nice discount! However, in the end you are only saving $15, so is it really worth much?
2) What scenario would make it worth taking advantage of this deal?
3) Obviously, we are talking a low budget system, but the idea of spending about three times as much for the AVR as the front 3 speakers brutally violates the mantra of "put your money into the speakers more than the electronics".
4) As I see it, the worth of these speakers is you can use them while saving to replace them.;)
5) So there it is - perfect sacrificial speakers!!!

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
My friend is wanting the Klipsch Promedia after hearing mine, he lives in a tiny place without much room. I would still advise him to get a Denon or Integra and some cheap daytons until he has more room, he would still have a decent AVR for when the time came.

He is pretty dead set on the Promedia though since it is small and has some sort of subwoofer (6.5").

I have to say, though, I don't regret buying them ($100 NIB with Bluetooth). The subwoofer would probably be decent but the room I have it in is huge, so it is lacking. But when I stick it in the corner, the bass trapped near the wall 30ft away is annoyingly boot, but next to me it sounds lacking. I am still playing with placement fwiw.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If it were me I'd get 5 or 7 Dayton centers and use as mains and one as a center. A better value and play a bit louder. IMO.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks MN bought one. I actually have heard this tweeter and it's decent.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here is the AH preview (no measurements or listening session reported on) of this speaker:
https://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/dayton-mk402bt

And here is the preview (no measurements or listening session reported on) of the passive speaker:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/dayton-audio-mk402-speaker

Note that the forum discussion at the bottom of this preview links to a review by NoAudiophile and includes comments by Dennis Murphy!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Since they are Bluetooth I don't think these can be hooked up to a reciever via speaker wires? My aim is for the new 442 center if it goes on sale I may bite.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Center is sold out. My order should arrive on Monday. Was hoping Saturday. Eh great deal whoever got one.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Got the Dayton Audio C452 yesterday. Looks better in person than in pics. I used my own speaker wires. At first I was not impressed, but after an hour or so they opened up and the sound got crispy like I like them to sound. Is it the best center I've ever heard? NO, but for the price ($21.62 shipped) it does very well than expected. It has a decent dispersion, but not the best I've heard. I've heard this tweeter on the tower version and thought it sounded fine. Would make a good budget center I'd give it a B+ Recommended.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is the AH preview (no measurements or listening session reported on) of this speaker:
https://www.audioholics.com/computer-speaker-reviews/dayton-mk402bt

And here is the preview (no measurements or listening session reported on) of the passive speaker:
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/dayton-audio-mk402-speaker

Note that the forum discussion at the bottom of this preview links to a review by NoAudiophile and includes comments by Dennis Murphy!
There is actually a review of the MK402s with measurements here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis