Dayton Audio ND65-8 box design help for a beginner... Please!!

D

Dooner94

Audiophyte
Hi, after being inspired by a DIY Perks video I decided to order a Dayton audio ND65-8 full range driver to see how it sounded and make a small speaker with which I can add more channels ect to if I like it. I liked that it seems to get really good reviews and is pretty cheap (I hate spending money ).

I started googling box making examples expecting expecting the advice to basically be ‘just make a random box’ and I’d be done but found the whole world of box making and maths and formulas which, at the moment, I am having a real tough time wrapping my head around.

I found one website which after plugging in some numbers suggested a ported box design however the dimensions of everything seem implausible and are different to what is suggested on the Dayton audio website (their website gives only a volume of 0.05 ft3 vs the 0.03 on the website, and a vented f3 of 55hz and I have no idea what that bit means ) and the port suggested seems extremely long and seems to make a tough design to fit everything into the small box so I’m guessing I’ve made a mistake somewhere? (I’ll attach a screenshot of the suggested box configuration)
436BBACE-5DCB-4FB6-A7B0-BED878484F7C.jpeg

My (probably stupid ) questions are:
  • Which measurement am I better following, daytonsor the calculators?
  • If daytons then what port dimensions would I need to use?
  • Are there any ideal actual dimensions (as in length, width and height) I should be using or will any do as long as the interior volume is correct?
  • Is that volume absolute or is it a minimum volume?
Sorry again for the silly questions, I’ve probably got more I haven’t even thought of yet haha.

Sean

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome to AudioHolics Dooner94 :)! Don't apologize for asking questions. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.
My (probably stupid) questions are:
  • Which measurement am I better following, daytons or the calculators?
  • If daytons then what port dimensions would I need to use?
  • Are there any ideal actual dimensions (as in length, width and height) I should be using or will any do as long as the interior volume is correct?
  • Is that volume absolute or is it a minimum volume?
The Parts Express web page for the ND65-8 drivers doesn't provide enough information. They did recommend cabinet volumes for sealed or vented cabinets, but they never mentioned port tube diameter or length:

Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity)
  • Sealed Volume 0.02 ft.³
  • Sealed F3 111 Hz

• Vented Volume 0.05 ft.³
  • Vented F3 55 Hz
F3, is the bass frequency where the speaker's output has dropped by 3 dB. You can think of the F3 frequency as a single number description of the speaker/cabinet combination's lowest useful bass performance.

With a 0.05 ft³ cabinet (interior volume) you can choose a number of L×W×H dimensions, as long as W is wide enough for those drivers, and as long as L allows the port tube to fit inside without coming too close to the rear inside wall. Use the tube's diameter as a guide – keep the inside edge of the tube one diameter's distance from the inside wall.

Also, near the top of that page, there is this tidbit:
"When teamed up with the matching ND series passive radiators this driver can produce incredible full sound from compact enclosures."​

A passive radiator (a driver cone & support without a electromagnet or voice coil) works similar to a port tube. And you would use it instead of a port tube. Of course, it will cost more than a port tube.

I'd call Parts Express and talk to technical help. Ask them the same questions you asked here.

Last edited:
D

Dooner94

Audiophyte
Welcome to AudioHolics Dooner94 :)! Don't apologize for asking questions. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.
That’ll be the ones I haven’t thought of then

Sorry again for the silly questions, I’ve probably got more I haven’t even thought of yet haha.
But thank you for the reply! I didn’t think of checking parts express as we don’t have in the up I don’t think.
So does the 0.05ft interior volume need to be precise or can it be bigger?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So does the 0.05ft interior volume need to be precise or can it be bigger?
For now, I'd stay with 0.05 cubic feet. Find out what Parts Express recommends. Call or email them.

If you go to a larger volume, you run the risk of boomy sounding, exaggerated bass. With those small drivers, that would include most male voices. All voices would sound unnaturally bass heavy, as if they were coming from inside a large garbage can.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
When the volume of the ducted port is too large, it can be installed outside the box. It would have to be a bit shorter because of resulting increased net box volume. Parts-Express should be able to provide you with additional info on that.

D

Dooner94

Audiophyte
Ok thankyou for the tips guys. Boomy bass doesn’t sound fun. I prefer a nice clear sound with lots of clarity over extra bass anyways haha.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis