Dayton Audio B652 or Mission MS-50 speakers (or Celestion Ditton 100s ) for Home Theater

• Thread starter Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce
  • Start date
Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Audiophyte
We just got a new TV with Dolby Atmos and I just upgrade our receiver to an Onkyo
TX-SRT393 in a small 10x10 room with a high ceiling. I thought I needed additional high speakers. I now see that I overbought and have too many speakers.

I have pairs of:
  • Synergystic 8.5" speakers
  • Mission MS-50 speakers, and
  • Dayton Audio B652 (new)
I also have some Celestion Ditton 100s I could throw in

Since it would likely cost half of what I paid for the Dayton speaker to send them back, I'm think of keeping them and along with the Synergystic speakers. I assume the Dayton speaker sound better than the Mission speakers but don't want to test them since I couldn't sell them as new if I eBay them.

I also have a Polk sub and will use the TV as the center speaker in the recommended Atmos 3.2.1 config.

Looking for thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks,

Reid

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubtful you can use the tv to act as center, is that a specific feature mentioned in the tv's manual? That would be unusual. 3.2.1 means you want 3 bed layer (so L/C/R), two subs and one overhead/height speaker. Perhaps you mean 3.1.2? Maybe go 4.1.2 for now?

Not familiar with the speakers generally but I'd think about using the the larger/best ones for L/C/R speakers (or just L/R and skip the center). If you do go with surrounds they don't need to be on the same level as L/C/R, and for height/Atmos speakers they can even be a bit less capable than the surrounds.

Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Audiophyte
Apologies, yes, it is a 3.1.2, and yes the TV screen acts as a center speaker. It's a Sony A95K 65"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Apologies, yes, it is a 3.1.2, and yes the TV screen acts as a center speaker. It's a Sony A95K 65"
I doubt you will be able to use the TV speaker as a center. That will be chaos with everything out of sink, even if you can set it up that way which is unlikely. In any event it is very bad idea which you should forget about now.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'd experiment with it all. You may find you prefer a 5.1 configuration using one of your extra speakers as a center channel speaker and using the speaker virtualizer in the Onkyo for Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X over a 3.1.2 setup with everything up front and the TV doing center channel duty. Have fun with it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Who the Fukk wants to listen to tv speakers? I don’t even like a phantom center but it would have to better than the speakers in a flat screen tv…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, one of the tvs that turns the screen via actuators into a speaker. They offer any specs for such use? Do the "subs" in the tv also work on the center input? I'd be leery of its quality as a center channel, but would like to check it out, but I'd probably still rather have a better speaker at center myself. Matching it up to other speakers could be interesting, and Treb's advice indicates it doesn't go very low....

Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Reid J. Thaler 64 Spruce

Audiophyte
Thanks all for the help. Agreed about the tv as center. Will try a Boston MCS 90 i found as a freebe.

I’m still setting things up and just ran some wires through the walls, added another electrical outlet and pulled the baseboard and drilled through the studs to hide the wires, which I’ve wanted to do for 10 years.

also agreed about sure about having all the sound in front. Did have a 5.1 system on our older Tv but found I frequently had to play with the sound levels and often found the rears were too loud or soft. Still figuring best set up for this new system.

I’m pretty geeky in photography circles, so audio geekyness is a little familiar. I remember the first thing I used to do with a new car was to rip out the stereo and speakers and upgrade them. Still miss my Alpine with the time phase shifting thing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis