Dayton Audio AMT Tweeter “Air” Loudspeaker Series Official Thread

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Too...many...jokes.........got...to...resist...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

R

Rickpowl

Audiophyte
You get what you pay for. These things are not very good speakers but if you have an even cheaper set of speakers, they could be an improvement. They would be a great set of speakers for a garage where you just want some music in the background.

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
I think these would perform a lot better with a good xover mod. The lack of a low pass and a lousy first order high pass causes extremely poor off axis response. I'm not sure where the AMT tweeters fs lies but a 4.5khz xover is just way too high for a 6.5" driver, especially considering there's two of them. Secondly, they're way too short unless you're sitting on the floor. Couple of cinder blocks should help.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
It's not the Fs that would be a problem, as most AMT tweeters do not have a well-defined resonance peak like traditional voice-coil/suspension based drivers. They are for the most part purely resistive, with perhaps just a teensy weeeeensy resonance spike.

This is the impedance plot of the Beyma TPL-150H, as an example. Even on a hugely magnified scale, one can just barely make out that tiny bump. About the size of the belly of a pregnant mosquito, lol.

The issue would lie, IMO, simply with the "low end" capability of such a small tweeter. Yes AMT tweeters have a lot of surface area, but it's folded, so it is still limited by the area of the actual aperture.

I would be willing to bet that those AMT's from the Air series are in fact Hygeia-based units, with different face-plates, similar to the RT-20051's that I ordered direct from them not too long ago:

AMT MADNESS !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The actual size is 11/16" square, not even 3/4". Again, this is my AMT RT-20051 tweeter that I believe is identical to the Dayton AMT in the Air speakers.

This is the actual impedance plot of my AMT. Resonance peak is so tiny, my DATS doesn't even pick it up to define a Q for it:

But on the good news side of things, AMT's do respond nicely (IMO) to horn loading to extend the low-end. Perhaps some of you might be ambitious enough to experiment with them as I did

This is baseline curves + horn-loaded FR curves for Airborne (Hygeia) RT-50021. Blue & green curves are stock baseline curves, Red & purple depict the tweeters mounted on a modified Parts Express H-110 horn for experimentation.

With the proper horn geometry and aperture loading, I would be willing to bet those tiny AMTs can have their low-end response extended down closer to 2.5 kHz, maybe even a little lower.

Last edited:
DellRay

DellRay

Enthusiast
I have the standard B and T 652s,one pair of each. I got them on sale at Paris Express for $29 & $109 respectively for a cheap 4 speaker stereo setup in my bedroom because I have tinnitus pretty bad and sleeping with music on works to distract me from it so I can get to sleep. I have a Klipsch 5.2 and reference theater system for my living room but even with the subwoofers off it was too loud for the neighbors with the R-28Fs only with bass all the way down. I tried a cheap alarm clock radio deal and a small desktop "boombox" but they didn't have the sound. Since I've owned decent equipment I can't stand small sound so I grabbed the dome tweeter version because they were cheap and dug out an old Harman Kardon receiver I had before I got my AVR. They work very well for what I need them for, something better than cheapo crap like Emerson or GPX but not enough to bug the old crumb upstairs. I would like to upgrade to the air models though. They were still fairly new when I got these and were $99 & $199 for the B & T respectively and I didn't want to spend that much for some background noise. If I can scoop them up on the cheap in the future I will though just based on these non air ones.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis