Dayton Audio AMT Tweeter “Air” Loudspeaker Series Official Thread

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The original Dayton Audio B652 has achieved something of a cult classic among speaker aficionados due to its extraordinarily low price. They were perhaps the least expensive, full-size bookshelf speaker that could be had in its day manufactured by a well-respected speaker component company. It was followed up by the 'B652-Air' to greater acclaim featuring an AMT tweeter. Now Dayton Audio has expanded on the 'Air' series with the release of a tower speaker, smaller bookshelf speaker, and center speaker. What kind of system can be had from the lowest-priced speaker set available to use AMT tweeters?

dayton.jpg

Read: Dayton Audio Breaks Price Barrier with AMT Tweeter “Air” Loudspeaker Series

Do you own any of these speakers or plan on buying them to mod?

Please share your experiences in this thread.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Personally I am curious about the 4" woofer version, the B452-Air. That might avoid any potential breakup issues that the larger cone could have, and less cabinet surface means less resonance. Not too mention the $32/pair price tag. Yeah it won't have much bass, but no big deal for a system using multiple subs. Hopefully, I will get a pair to measure later on.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The original Dayton Audio B652 has achieved something of a cult classic among speaker aficionados due to its extraordinarily low price. They were perhaps the least expensive, full-size bookshelf speaker that could be had in its day manufactured by a well-respected speaker component company. It was followed up by the 'B652-Air' to greater acclaim featuring an AMT tweeter. Now Dayton Audio has expanded on the 'Air' series with the release of a tower speaker, smaller bookshelf speaker, and center speaker. What kind of system can be had from the lowest-priced speaker set available to use AMT tweeters?

View attachment 23399

Read: Dayton Audio Breaks Price Barrier with AMT Tweeter “Air” Loudspeaker Series

Do you own any of these speakers or plan on buying them to mod?

Please share your experiences in this thread.
I've worked with the 652 Air quite a bit and have a crossover mod that produces decent sound except for the lack of bass. In its stock form, it's kind of a clever design. The big breakup peak from the woofer sort of fills in for the premature roll-off of the little AMT driver at the low end. It sounds pretty good at first, particularly at lower volume. After a while, you realize that a lot of the "highs" aren't really highs, but ringing break up from the woofer. Still, the price is right.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was looking for some really cheap speakers for my son and I forgot about these. I think these might be them...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was looking over there at Monoprice too with the various budget speakers. I think the cabinet will have an advantage from PE, though I think sound wise they'll probably be comparable. Son will be happy to have speakers at all.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Was looking for some really cheap speakers for my son and I forgot about these. I think these might be them...
check for recommendation on site I've linked above. Lots of good tests on lots of cheap speakers. Spoiler: Before mods/eq - most of them are not great.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read the review of the 652 on there. I don't expect great at $50/pr. If my son was quality audio oriented, I'd be shooting for AAs for him. Only concern might be the lack of bass as pointed out by both that reviewer and Dennis. We can add a PE slimline 10" sub at some point. Only thing is, with AAs could probably get by without a sub.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I was looking over there at Monoprice too with the various budget speakers. I think the cabinet will have an advantage from PE, though I think sound wise they'll probably be comparable. Son will be happy to have speakers at all.
The new Dayton MK402 will have some bass -- however with a dome tweeter -- the treble is a little boosted, however most will not complain about that.

Your son will be happy with whatever you buy him.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
the treble is a little boosted, however most will not complain about that.
I got a feeling it's by design to appeal to more middle age people which most of them have reduced hearing of higher frequencies, myself included.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've never heard a Dayton speaker, but every part, cable, or electronic component that I have ever seen or used from Dayton certainly "seems" to be a quality product.

They had quite a few items on display at RMAF a few years ago too.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I got a feeling it's by design to appeal to more middle age people which most of them have reduced hearing of higher frequencies, myself included.
It is by design (designers know their speakers) -- and while I am considered 68, I am going on 33.:)

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Actually, I just did a version of the 652 Air for a gentleman with hearing loss above 4 kHz. He tried a graphic equalizer, but boosting the highs in the necessary range also boosted the breakup from the woofer. So I got rid of the breakup and boosted the tweeter, and he seems very happy with the results. Maybe I should sell hearing aids instead of speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, I just did a version of the 652 Air for a gentleman with hearing loss above 4 kHz. He tried a graphic equalizer, but boosting the highs in the necessary range also boosted the breakup from the woofer. So I got rid of the breakup and boosted the tweeter, and he seems very happy with the results. Maybe I should sell hearing aids instead of speakers.
I think there may be a market for those over in the audiophool crowd :D

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I think these would perform a lot better with a good xover mod. The lack of a low pass and a lousy first order high pass causes extremely poor off axis response. I'm not sure where the AMT tweeters fs lies but a 4.5khz xover is just way too high for a 6.5" driver, especially considering there's two of them. Secondly, they're way too short unless you're sitting on the floor. Couple of cinder blocks should help.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis