DataBase of Brent Butterworth's sub measurements

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just wanted to ping this.
Brent has been busy!
This table is populated with a lot more subs than it was last time I looked (now at 77 subs* and seems like it was about 20-25 when I made the above post 8.5 months ago)!
*technically less than 77 because he tests some of the adjustable subs in both sealed and ported mode!

Here is an interesting compilation of this data for a select few of these subs:

Last edited:
R

rrj

Enthusiast
@KEW ,

Do you know if these measurements are peak, or RMS?

Thanks in advance!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW ,

Thanks in advance!
As Loving says, they are CEA2010 measurements, either limited by distortion limits or peak level if distortion is not excessive.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@KEW ,

Thanks in advance!
The measurements in Brent's spreadsheet are scaled to 1 meter peak. If you want to compare those measurements to data-bass's or Audioholics', you have to subtract 9 dB from Brent's measurements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The measurements in Brent's spreadsheet are scaled to 1 meter peak. If you want to compare those measurements to data-bass's or Audioholics', you have to subtract 9 dB from Brent's measurements.
Can you expand on that please?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Can you expand on that please?
Butterworth specifies on his chart that the measurements are:
CEA-2010 results scaled to 1M equivalent (updated 4/20)
I know 1m is also the way Hsu specifies their data. I'm not sure why which is used where, but I suspect most subwoofer vendors will use the 1m value which allows them to publish bigger numbers!
It is a shame that a consistent value used by all is not the rule!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Butterworth specifies on his chart that the measurements are:

I know 1m is also the way Hsu specifies their data. I'm not sure why which is used where, but I suspect most subwoofer vendors will use the 1m value which allows them to publish bigger numbers!
It is a shame that a consistent value used by all is not the rule!
I was more wondering why it's 9dB instead of 6dB for doubling the distance to 2m. I may be a bit thick today, allergies have had me using up all my paper supplies! :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was more wondering why it's 9dB instead of 6dB for doubling the distance to 2m. I may be a bit thick today, allergies have had me using up all my paper supplies! :)
Ahh!
I was kind of wondering if I was actually telling you something that you didn't already know! :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I could say it was just for @rrj but even though I've seen an explanation I'm pretty sure, I can't think of it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The CEA-2010 protocol states that numbers should be scaled to 1 meter peak values, even though testing is done at 2 meters. Butterworth and Hsu are adhering to the protocol.

If you double the distance, measured output is reduced by 6 dB. If you go from peak values to RMS values, the values are reduced by another 3 dB. Some people feel that 2 meter RMS values are more reflective of what would be felt in actual listening situations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The CEA-2010 protocol states that numbers should be scaled to 1 meter peak values, even though testing is done at 2 meters. Butterworth and Hsu are adhering to the protocol.

If you double the distance, measured output is reduced by 6 dB. If you go from peak values to RMS values, the values are reduced by another 3 dB. Some people feel that 2 meter RMS values are more reflective of what would be felt in actual listening situations.
Thanks. So the 3 dB difference is simply a calculation between continuous and peak? Or part of the measurement routine?

R

rrj

Enthusiast
@shadyJ ,

That was why I was asking, to compare data from other sources. Thanks for responding.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis