Dampening a cabinet

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
I've seen many speaker cabinets containing some sort of dampening material for eliminating cabinet resonance. I've seen some people use house insulation as well. My question is would "dynomat, second skin, sound skin, etc." work to do the same? What does everyone use for the DIY projects for cabinet dampening?

Is there a difference in dampening material "matting or spray" vs something like polyfill or home insulation?
Whats the benefit of each or both?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
To Dampen a cabinet, just add water.

to Damp a cabinet, most will use polyfill or acoustuff, the recycled denim insulation is also very good for damping a cabinet.
Fiberglass is a less good solution but can work. Remember to wear gloves and even a respirator when handling.

Spray coating the inside of a cabinet or applying butyl or equivalent damping pads help some, but still need additional filling.

Remember, too, you want to keep any such stuffing away from the back of the driver by at least an inch… a little more is better. Likewise, be very careful to not block the port with any stuffing.
Ported cabinets require very little stuffing but do benefit from some to help absorb and break up the back wave of the woofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've seen many speaker cabinets containing some sort of dampening material for eliminating cabinet resonance. I've seen some people use house insulation as well. My question is would "dynomat, second skin, sound skin, etc." work to do the same? What does everyone use for the DIY projects for cabinet dampening?

Is there a difference in dampening material "matting or spray" vs something like polyfill or home insulation?
Whats the benefit of each or both?
Polyfill from Walmart. They have bags of the stuff for the home pillow and cushion DIYers. It is very cheap and probably the best available for the job.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Thanks Guys, what if its a sealed enclosure? Will polyfill still be necessary?

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
BTW this is not a bass driver it is towers and center channel speaker

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
How about some more details on your plans?
Sealed duel 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter. GR-Research A/V3-S.

I know everyone hates the guy but I had bought this a while back before covid hit. So i'm invested at this point.

Not sure what else I could give spec wise. I slightly redesigned the cabinet to be a trapezoidal prism with the same internal airspace.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't Danny make a specific suggestion with the design in this regard?

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Didn't Danny make a specific suggestion with the design in this regard?
I spoke with him and advised my plans on the cabinet and he had stated it should be fine. but his blueprint was designed to prevent reflection.

Either way, its a minimal change in his design but I digress.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Too big? Usually you need to resize them to upload here. I use Windows Paint and go 30-35% of original size generally.
I was doing it from my phone. im actually at work right now :). I'll have to post later

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sealed enclosures can also require damping material. Some plans that I've seen had very specific instructions for it. Others call for damping material and lack any specifics, which can be frustrating. The filler material can be used to tune the bass response, so it's something that you can play with to get the response you want, although having a recommended starting point is helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks Guys, what if its a sealed enclosure? Will polyfill still be necessary?
Yes, a sealed enclosure needs to be filled with damping material. But the material should NOT be compressed. In vented enclosure generally half the internal surface is covered. Polyfill at Walmart is very cheap.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sealed duel 5.25" woofer and 1" tweeter. GR-Research A/V3-S.

I know everyone hates the guy but I had bought this a while back before covid hit. So i'm invested at this point.

Not sure what else I could give spec wise. I slightly redesigned the cabinet to be a trapezoidal prism with the same internal airspace.
So the woofer is a bass/mid driver, and the enclosure needs to be damped.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis