cut it 3 times and it's still too short

J

jamie

Enthusiast
morning folks

I am finally trying to hook up my in-wall wired system and now need the center to be below my screen rather than above. Problem is the wire is too short and for a list of reasons I can't pull another.

so I am wondering the best way to lengthen this cable and leave the joints hidden in the wall...

should I just solder them or is there some better way...

thanks
jamie

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
go to the nearest auto parts store or Radio Shack and buy some wire splices, if there is room for them where you are putting the wire. Offset the two splices by six or eight inches to make sure there won't be any chance of shorting should one wire pull out of the splice. make sure you get splices that match the size of the wire.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=64-3098

you might want to put some heat-shrink tubing (also at Radio Shack) on them just to be sure.

Attachments

Dumar

Audioholic
Leprkon said:
make sure there won't be any chance of shorting should one wire pull out of the splice
This is why I don't recommend using crimp style connections: they have been known to come apart and introduce a small amount of resistance into the circuit. :(

If you have access to an iron and some heat shrink and tape, this is the best splice you can make. :)

Of course you can always borrow my wire stretcher. :D

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
Most folks think they can solder correctly but cannot
Soldering speaker wire can change the resistance value of the run
The cheap plastic coated butt connector crimp on's are no good either
If you don’t know how to do a field splice with heat shrink then use
Wire nuts be sure to get the correct size and they should make a very tight mechanical connection

PS A field splice is braiding the bare wire together in am-intertwined fashion
You braid a few strands at a time from each conductor when you are done you have a solder less connection that you cant pull apart regardless of the amount of force used

Dumar

Audioholic
RLA said:
Soldering speaker wire can change the resistance value of the run
Care to elaborate on this one? :confused:

I agree that soldering takes some skill, but when done correctly makes a superior joint.

Any splice method that relies on holding one piece of wire against another is an inferior connection and will degrade over time.

J

jamie

Enthusiast
indeed

soldier it was...

my dad - the fancy-pants ee who happened to have an iron in his car (mine's still in storage) seemed like the best option and I have great confidence in his skill and what-not

so thanks all for your thoughts

and remember to say something nice to your dad

best
jamie

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis