Current competition v. Sunfire HRS-12

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Hello,

I have a pair of Sunfire HRS-12's that work fine, but I am wondering if I am due for a transition to more modern dual 12's?

How do the hrs-12's stack up to the current competition?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What would you expect the change in sub would do for you? The little I've seen on the HRS 12 is the half-done review here on AH that's 11 years old, which doesn't help a lot :) but the specs look decent, especially for its size. Heck if they're working well and suit your current needs, I'd just look for something else to spend my money on....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve never been impressed with sunfires except they’re pretty good for the size. How much floor space do you want to dedicate?

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I’ve never been impressed with sunfires except they’re pretty good for the size. How much floor space do you want to dedicate?
I could find a home for one of the new jumbo subs, but would struggle to place 2...well I wouldn't struggle placing it, the boss will just veto my decision most likely.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I could find a home for one of the new jumbo stubs 5, but would struggle to place 2...well I wouldn't struggle placing it, the boss will just veto my decision most likely.

Whats a jumbo stubs 5?

Do us a favor and eliminate the Tapatalk ad in your signature? Thanks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I could find a home for one of the new jumbo subs, but would struggle to place 2...well I wouldn't struggle placing it, the boss will just veto my decision most likely.

Haha! Jumbo stubs. Is that an oxymoron? Like jumbo shrimp!!! Lol

Maybe two medium sized ones? Like a pair of pc2000’s from SVS. 16” footprint, would destroy the sunfires, and look super awesome. The sunfires can go in the bedroom, or office. Done!

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Haha! Jumbo stubs. Is that an oxymoron? Like jumbo shrimp!!! Lol

Maybe two medium sized ones? Like a pair of pc2000’s from SVS. 16” footprint, would destroy the sunfires, and look super awesome. The sunfires can go in the bedroom, or office. Done!
This will definitely go under advisement!

Now to learn up on the svs line I see everyone talking about these days.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-2000
https://www.svsound.com/products/pc-4000

I have no idea your budget but a pair of 2000’s would handily outperform the sunfires in every way, and the 4k’s would outperform you. Lol
I mean, I'm a pretty high performer!

So these are cylindrical subs. New to me, but seems logical. Better omni-directionality i would predict. I'll have to see if there are any reviews on these (I'm sure there are).

I could definitely find a home for 2 of these.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I mean, I'm a pretty high performer!

So these are cylindrical subs. New to me, but seems logical. Better omni-directionality i would predict. I'll have to see if there are any reviews on these (I'm sure there are).

I could definitely find a home for 2 of these.
Lol! I’m sure you are. It just kinda rolled off my fingertips...

Yeah, they’ve been around a long time now. Actually 2/3 of my subs are pc12pluses.(older model). Omnidirectionality isn’t really a thing to think about with subs, unless they’re crossed over too high. Another advantage to cylinders is they’re very light compared to their boxed brethren. That doesn’t matter once in place however.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Lol! I’m sure you are. It just kinda rolled off my fingertips...

Yeah, they’ve been around a long time now. Actually 2/3 of my subs are pc12pluses.(older model). Omnidirectionality isn’t really a thing to think about with subs, unless they’re crossed over too high. Another advantage to cylinders is they’re very light compared to their boxed brethren. That doesn’t matter once in place however.
Yeah looking at them, they seem very nice! I'll get in touch with svs to see if they'll let me try em out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are cats naturally attracted to cylindrical subs always goes thru my head....believe SVS offers their in home trial terms on all their products....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My cat hasn’t ever given them a second glance. I do have real scratchers available to him though. I know that makes a difference. We see big scratchers, but I think cats just see big furniture.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
I got a chance to listen to a PC-2000 and a PB-4000 today. OMG! Those things are wicked.

I won't be able to get x2 PC-4000's, but am going to grab x1 and save for the second one. I'll probably just use one of my Sunfires with the PC-4000 in the meantime. Just need to see if I can coax the cash out of my wallet and talk to SVS now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got a chance to listen to a PC-2000 and a PB-4000 today. OMG! Those things are wicked.

I won't be able to get x2 PC-4000's, but am going to grab x1 and save for the second one. I'll probably just use one of my Sunfires with the PC-4000 in the meantime. Just need to see if I can coax the cash out of my wallet and talk to SVS now.
LOL sub mania! Congrats.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Nice!!! Had a feeling you might say something like that. I think you have a good plan. But that wallet thing... That can definitely be a problem. Same here.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Nice!!! Had a feeling you might say something like that. I think you have a good plan. But that wallet thing... That can definitely be a problem. Same here.
I'm going to order today. I woke up this morning with a persistent feeling that my confirmation bias is clouding my judgement.

The issues: x2 pc2000's would be a better solution for my room. The pc4000 is too frickin big. X2 pc4000's will be very large physical objects in the room.

The room is about 3k ft^2, with large openings on 2 sides, and a bedroom off of it. Can any of you talk me off the ledge?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis