Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I also ordered a room kit from GIK acoustics.

I'm only claiming this purchase though, you're still on the hook Adam.;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's awesome! Congratulations on the upcoming new gear! I really look forward to what you think of those. I keep looking at them ever since I saw the first article on them. Aperion's been on my list for years now, ever since a buddy of mine bought some about ten years ago.

Good thing that you got the towers, too - your sub is a bit lacking. :rolleyes: :D

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I know, the subs are TOTALLY going to under-perform with this system.:D

I listen to some recordings in pure direct....

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I have the XPA-2 hooked up and running my Rti-12's. Here are the initial impressions:

-WOW! Dynamics, dynamics, dynamics.

-Remains composed at levels that would start to strain the 4311ci amps.

-Where the hell is my chocolate? I (after reading reviews) thought I'd find some chocolate while listening to an external amp. I'm a little hungry, and could really go for a Snickers or a Kit-Kat right about now.

I hate the internet, it lies. The chocolate is a lie!

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Adam, these amps both hum ever so slightly. Your head has to be nearly in the rack to hear it, but it's there. I don't think it's anything like yours though.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Timing is EVERYTHING!

My Verus Grands will be here in two days!

Here's the title explanation:

While prepping the theater for the room treatments and boxing the Polk's up I had the mains playing some jazz at a very moderate level. My plan was to leave the RTi12's out until the Aperions arrive so I'd have something to listen to.

This is when I noticed the image was moving to the left side of the room. It was enough for me to stop what I was doing to investigate.

Seems the tweeter in the right main is on its way out. Output is still there just highly attenuated.

This happened to the other main 1.5 years ago and Polk shipped out a new tweeter (warranty) which cured the issue. At the time I inquired about replacing the other tweeter and was told I'd need to purchase the other if I wanted to swap it out.

I opted not to buy ($110) the second tweeter.

Warranty just expired on the set. This week. In the boxes they went.

Timing is everything!

*Patiently awaiting delivery now*

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My Verus Grands will be here in two days!
Well?!? :D I'm looking forward to your impressions. Hopefully you're sitting in front of them, giddy as a schoolboy.

Warranty just expired on the set. This week.
I suggest contacting them anyway. With the other tweeter having been replaced, it showed a precedent - and with the warranty just expiring this week, they certainly might still honor it.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Yessir, I'll be ringing 'em in the morning about that tweeter.

Now on to the good stuff, the Verus Grands. Ah, where to begin....

Well I guess I should start with the room. We recently added acoustic panels at the first reflection points on the side walls. This made some significant improvements to stereo imaging. Also on the bill were some tri-traps for the corners. Unfortunately I use XT32 to smooth out the room and therefore can't tell if there was any change by adding the bass traps. (Kick-bass sounds very natural now, more on this next)

The next item(s) of course is the amps. Loads of dynamics. Drums are the primary change here, the drum set may actually be in my room. Also at reference my system now sounds like you barely have the volume on. Very clean.

Now the new speakers. Pretty. May as well be there kind of imaging. Transparant.

I haven't come across any audible flaws with the front three yet. The center channel does indeed sound the same as the towers with the exception of the bass extension. Our relationship is young still though. I'm certain I'll find the weak link with the LCR set-up eventually.

I used Verus Grand bookshelf speakers for the rear surrounds. I haven't listened directly to them yet.

Now the bipole/dipole. This speaker is the weak link here. It's quite good in bipole mode with usable response well below stated f3. Heck audyssey crossed it over at 40hz! Sounds great, blends in seamlessly.

Put it into dipole and look out. Horrible sensitivity 78db at 1 watt, that's ten db less than bipole. And the f3? Audyssey says 200 Hz!!!!! :eek: This isn't a fluke, even the auto set up chirp sounded bad when it got to the side speakers.

DO NOT BUY IF YOU NEED A DIPOLE SPEAKER!

If you're looking for a bipole to match your Verus Grands, by all means buy a pair.

My overall impression this far is great! I have been awaken early the past two days by the desire/anticipation to listen to the Grands. I have much listening to do to form a fully fleshed out opinion.

Pics soon.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be interested if you swapped out the towers for the bookshelves to see if you could tell much difference (when you're not in pure direct :)). I like the looks of the towers, but I can't convince myself that I'd get much use out of them.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I'd be interested if you swapped out the towers for the bookshelves to see if you could tell much difference (when you're not in pure direct :)). I like the looks of the towers, but I can't convince myself that I'd get much use out of them.
I think the sweet spot would be the top of the towers as a mid-sized speaker. That way you'd retain the sensitivity and dynamics of the mtm configuration in a much smaller package.

These towers are a steal at their price and a mtm based off them for use with a sub would be perfect for home theater.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I skimmed a bit but didn't see this - did you get the black or cherry finish?

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic

Can you tell Adam? :confused::D:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic

Shot with the grill off.

Emotiva in the house!

Front stage.

Action shot of Jane Monheit singing better than she's lookin' in this pic!

Pic of the bookshelf's in the rear.

I forgot to take a pic of the side surrounds.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
I've been listening to my system in it's current configuration for a week now. I have to be blunt about this, so here goes......

HOLY COW! I FINALLY DID IT!!!

Fellow Audioholics, you're all due a huge thanks.

I firmly believe to improve the sound even just a little would require a dump truck full of cash.

This has been one hell of a journey to get where we are now. The journey started with a Sony mini system hooked to a 48" Mitsubishi tv, and has grown into a full-fledged hi-fi dedicated theater.

This would have never happened without the vast knowledge, opinions, and ideas found here.

Thank you all!

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
That lamp is in the dining room for now. I ran out of outlets in the rack. :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis