Crown XLS 1502 amp Impression

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Not casually!
Pro Audio gear is generally designed to be mounted in a rack without any clearance above or below, or on either side! Accordingly, air flow is required from front to back and the fan is usually strategically located.
In the case of the QSC, there is essentially a tunnel/tube with heat-sink fins projecting into it that runs from front to back. The only vents are in the front and a circular hole in the back that is fit to the fan blades! So, unless you can adapt an efficient way to draw air through that tunnel, you can forget it!
I'm sure flow and cooling analyses are done to insure the system reliably cools even for a band playing outside on 100+ degree hot day!

Of course, this also makes it hard to come up with a one-size-fits all face plate, and even if for a specific model, you will have to provide adequate venting (which isn't often attractive) in the correct location(s) on the face.

I always thought the older Yamaha pro audio amp was a pretty good looking amp, however, they still won't match other gear. They do have removable ears for rack mounting, but I believe the handles are permanent:

Interestingly, I'm not a fan of their newer design, but beauty is subjective:
That my friend is a Big money making Machine!!. I know of a few Who built homes and drive Mercedes and Harley Davidson’s off set up just like that.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This is why there is a grade of outlets specifically for hospital-type equipment, and its only differentiating feature is prong grip. For home use true hospital-grade outlets are good for power cables you seldom expect to disconnect and reconnect, but they are actually annoying for use in general purpose locations because they grip so tightly.
In addition to being very difficult to connect or disconnect, I thought "hospital grade outlets" are made with clear plastic, so you can see if a connection inside has separated without opening the outlet.

MDs have always been criticized for making common devices more expensive by insisting on somehow "gold plating" them. Audiophiles take it one step further, they gold plate and cryotreat things.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On all QSC amps, the fan pushes the air from the back to the front of the chassis.
Also, the fan noise varies between amplifier series. Those on the RMX series are noisy, but the ones on the DCA series are rather quiet. I am now using four of those DCA amps in my console. The fans are about 6 feet from my listening position and I practically don't hear them, except when the kitchen fridge is not running, the humidifier is not used and the AC is off.
Anyways, when music is playing, I never hear them. Should one find their noise objectionable, a technician could add a resistor to the fan powering wire to reduce its speed.

Cheers,
Interesting, my QSC RMX-850 pulls the air from front to back!
I did some research and see where it is a common mod to reverse the fan so as to have consistency with other gear in the rack, so that is probably what happened with mine.
Guitar Center must have some sort of upgrade/trade-in program, because I got it used for $150!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That my friend is a Big money making Machine!!. I know of a few Who built homes and drive Mercedes and Harley Davidson’s off set up just like that.
Cool! I have no idea what it is/does; just looking for a random image of gear in a rack showing how how the amps have no ventilation above, below, or to the side, and that one looked good!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Don't let it go to your head!:rolleyes:

I think a much more relevant number is the number of positive ratings for the total number of posts you have made!

For you, that would be 5,660 for 22,075 total posts or a 25.64% rating.

Then if you look at someone like Swerd, he has 4,043 positive ratings for a total of 5,285 posts or a 76.5% rating.

People like you and I post too much tripe to get such a high rating, LOL!
Swerd doesn't often "open his mouth" unless he has something worth saying.
If I weren't as virtuous as you suggest, this might go to my head :rolleyes:.

Some people are post whores; I'm a like-whore. Remember when AH had a Thanks button and we could collect reputation points symbolized by green chicklets? You could also get red chicklets for negative points. I miss those days. Bring back the green and red chicklets. But add a brown chicklet option.

If we only had something more potent that a Dumb button, like a Face Palm button, or a Captain Obvious button.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If we only had something more potent that a Dumb button, like a Face Palm button, or a Captain Obvious button.
Those would be good. I'm not sure that they are more potent, but they are more meaningful (maybe that is what you meant)!
Also, I never understood use of an icon that looks like a file folder (is it supposed to be something else?) to represent "dumb"!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't been keeping up with the features on these.
It sounds like Crown is trying to gain some of the home audio market with some of these (and more so, the RCA jacks that were already added).
The item missing from the list is an on/off trigger. Do they have one?
Still no standard 12V trigger, which surprises me. I should list that as Cons.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The APC H15 Power Conditioner which I have been using for close to 15 years, has a powerful surge protection circuit, in and out DC trigger jacks as well as a voltage regulation function. It has a rated continuous 1440 Watt capacity. It comes in silver or black. I recommend it without any reservation. It would most likely suit your needs.
If I recall well, Gene is using either this unit or the one which features a back-up battery in at least one of his systems:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-AV-15-kVA-H-Type-Power-Conditioner-120V/P-H15
Thanks for that.
I just checked and my Power Conditioner has a trigger!
When I added the conditioner, I had no need for the trigger and forgot it was there!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW gen 2 Crown XLS Drivecore amps do have a trgger, but a bit unusual...

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Cool! I have no idea what it is/does; just looking for a random image of gear in a rack showing how how the amps have no ventilation above, below, or to the side, and that one looked good!
I have had the pleasure of listening to Crown amps in clubs for years never really paid much attention to the gear all I know is that it would kick and sounded freaking awesome. Back in 2015 got the chance to see a set up very close to one in your post, It was at a bonfire back in the swamps of Louisiana really. Must of had over 100 there, They just started showing up out of nowhere’s, mostly by 4 wheel drive trucks some in P rows, that’s a little boat made out of Pine or Oakwood. The Guy doing the DJ thing tells me that’s all he has ever used Crown amps and that the one he was using was his little amp. One Crown amp driving two 18” drivers L/R with stacked Horns Big ones about umm 4ft wide by 3 ft high. The 18” driver where at least 5ft tall by 4ft wide boxs. Now there was a mid driver in the box with the 18” about a 10” maybe. This was outdoors when I say kick ass bass, clear sharp vocals like being at a live Performance

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW gen 2 Crown XLS Drivecore amps do have a trgger, but a bit unusual...
Yeah, with no instructions on how to use it.

They must think everyone knows about a 3-pin trigger. o_O

Can’t replace it with a standard 12V trigger. o_O

Love to hear the argument for that. :D

Engineer#1: a standard 12V plug would be so simple and takes up less space.
Engineer#2: Too simple! We want it to be more special than all the other 12V triggers! And we want to take up more space, not less! o_O

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
A 12 volt trigger is a MUST for me. I’m handicapped and getting up to turn on the unit, every time, is out of the question.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, with no instructions on how to use it.

They must think everyone knows about a 3-pin trigger. o_O

Can’t replace it with a standard 12V trigger. o_O

Love to hear the argument for that. :D

Engineer#1: a standard 12V plug would be so simple and takes up less space.
Engineer#2: Too simple! We want it to be more special than all the other 12V triggers! And we want to take up more space, not less! o_O
I thought I saw something that made more sense for that type of trigger with pro gear....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A 12 volt trigger is a MUST for me. I’m handicapped and getting up to turn on the unit, every time, is out of the question.
I have gen 1 which doesn't even have the strange 12V trigger....I use smart power strips with several of my Crowns....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What are “smart” power strips?
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-LCG-3MVR-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526828698&sr=1-3&keywords=smart+power+strip

You plug a device into the blue CONTROL outlet and whenever current is drawn at that outlet, the green outlets become active (the red are always live). I set one up with the AVR as the Control and two Dayton Audio subs (which were slow to become active using their buiilt-in "auto on" setting) with good result.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis