Crossover wire polarity on selah tempesta

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Hi,
I need some help. Can someone tell me how to check the crossover wire polarity to each of the drivers?
Both of my tweeters (raal 70-10) on a pair of selah tempesta are blown. I had previously transferred the drivers from old cabinet to a new cabinet and i’m afraid in the process, i might have messed up the polarity of the wires.

By the way, can having a wrong polarity wired to each driver, blow a driver or a tweeter in this case?

Thank you

Last edited:
R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Ok ,
I think i know what have caused the blown of the raal 70-10. I remember turning on my tube preamp with the amp on and heard pops. I think this is it

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
You will need to get 'selah tempesta ' into the tread title. No one else will have a clue.
Maybe the moderators can help.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
You will need to get 'selah tempesta ' into the tread title. No one else will have a clue.
Maybe the moderators can help.
My bad!
Seeing the raal blown got me frustrated. They are going 400+ each at madisound !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok ,
I think i know what have caused the blown of the raal 70-10. I remember turning on my tube preamp with the amp on and heard pops. I think this is it
I doubt a turn on pop would blow those tweeters.

It is far more likely that the tube amp suffered ultrasonic oscillation. Tube amps are prone to this. I have no idea what the impedance and phase angles of those speakers look like, but tube amps are prone to this with +ve phase angles.

After this event, I would never connect those speakers to a tube amp again, unless it is a vintage Quad II which are the only ones I can be certain of that will not do this.

A tube amp going into ultrasonic oscillation blows tweeters in a trice. The oscillation is above the level of human hearing, so you will not hear it. This is just another reason among others not to use tube amps.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My bad!
Seeing the raal blown got me frustrated. They are going 400+ each at madisound !
Did you by these used, or from Rick directly? Either way, I’d email him to see if he can help you out with the replacements.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Did you by these used, or from Rick directly? Either way, I’d email him to see if he can help you out with the replacements.
Good idea. If my suspicion is correct then the ribbons are most likely intact. It would be the transformers that are blown, and only those would need replacement.

The OP should check for continuity on the primary side, which is the tweeter terminals. If it is open circuit there, then the primary is blown. If that is the case, you can bet it was ultrasonic oscillation that caused this, as over driving blows the ribbon or secondary side.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
My bad!
Not to worry--you can get a ribbon replacement kit from Madisound for around $25 a pop (the price may have gone up a little). There's a video on line showing you how to do it. Just don't let anything metallic get near the tweeter when you're installing the new ribbon. It will get sucked in like it was next to a black hole, and there goes your ribbon.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
I doubt a turn on pop would blow those tweeters.

It is far more likely that the tube amp suffered ultrasonic oscillation. Tube amps are prone to this. I have no idea what the impedance and phase angles of those speakers look like, but tube amps are prone to this with +ve phase angles.

After this event, I would never connect those speakers to a tube amp again, unless it is a vintage Quad II which are the only ones I can be certain of that will not do this.

A tube amp going into ultrasonic oscillation blows tweeters in a trice. The oscillation is above the level of human hearing, so you will not hear it. This is just another reason among others not to use tube amps.
The only thing i can think of is the tube preamp that I accidentally turn it on when the amp was on. The tube pre is a new item that I recently got.
Could be the tube preamp going on ultrasonic oscillation when turning on and since the amp was on, the signal went thru.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Not to worry--you can get a ribbon replacement kit from Madisound for around $25 a pop (the price may have gone up a little). There's a video on line showing you how to do it. Just don't let anything metallic get near the tweeter when you're installing the new ribbon. It will get sucked in like it was next to a black hole, and there goes your ribbon.
Thank you Dennis. Rick at selah shared it to me.
Hopefully is not the transformer that got tossed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis