crossover frequency with no subwoofer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

f you have a “bass peak limiter” setting in your AVR that will let you set the max level your drivers can be pushed regardless of being set as Large/Small and full band.

Usually a bass peak limiter is used when your speakers are without a high performance sub and or when your sub is not capable of reference level + 10 db or more from all speakers that are bass managed!

Playback with the .LFE signal and bass managed crossover signal of satellite speakers is usually +10 db hotter than 105 db reference peak!

Bass peak limiter is an important setting for other scenarios but mostly for lower performance subs and speakers less than full range or main amps/AVRs not high powered enough to foot such high output requirements!
None of my avrs has a bass peak limiter, first I've heard of one, too. There's the (Denon?) Low Frequency Containment feature on some avrs, but think that's more than just a peak limiter.

Caution would certainly be key, but not sure if the OP's listening levels are going to be a concern even running the speakers full range (which is why I'd start there and work my way up). I've not gone without a sub either, tho.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
None of my avrs has a bass peak limiter, first I've heard of one, too. There's the (Denon?) Low Frequency Containment feature on some avrs, but think that's more than just a peak limiter.

Caution would certainly be key, but not sure if the OP's listening levels are going to be a concern even running the speakers full range (which is why I'd start there and work my way up). I've not gone without a sub either, tho.
My Anthem AVM 20 has a bass peak Limiter. It basically establishes the max volume bass is allowed to play at while not affecting the listener from increasing the volume to reference.

I used to have mine set at -15 from reference. A potential advantage is an increase in dynamic range when non full range gear is fed full range signal and .LFE!

Obviously most 5 ch amps are not designed to put out the juice anywhere near what a dedicated sub amplifier is designed for so I found that feature critical when I was without a sub.

In my earlier days I was quite unaware of the db scale and so I had my gains on full and all speakers set to large. At least I used the low frequency spec for a crossover. Back then -30 was reference :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis